Post #21 Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:22 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
illluck wrote:
tchan001 wrote:
I think I'll just do a JF and stay away from the community for a long while and turn my blog private

Not to judge, but think that you sometimes take criticisms a little bit too personally.

I've been in the same boat. I think that getting angry, announcing your leave of absence, going away for awhile, then coming back again is a rite of passage for active posters. It's a natural process we all go through to grow into grumpy old men (or women). If you haven't gone through this process yet, you should do some serious introspection.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post subject: Re: Deletion of Tchan's recent post
Post #22 Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
tchan001 wrote:
I think I'll just do a JF and stay away from the community for a long while and turn my blog private

Boidhre wrote:
...the admins are damned if they do and damned if they don't in these kinds of situations...

Post #23 Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 10
KGS: Coyote
DGS: Coyote
I don't think the lock warning was based on people complaining about thread locking. I think it was the exchange about whether saying something made someone look worse was saying they already looked bad that was the point when this thread went a little of the rails.

Seems back on target, people discussing what their preferences are for moderation, no one criticizing other's ideas, just everyone giving an opinion.

Here's mine.

Locking threads is already preferable to deleting them. If you delete someone's threads who's constantly disruptive, then ban them you have nothing to point to as reason. Sure, people following the situation may agree with the ban, but other's not following the situation may not.

Deleting threads are better for libel, where the existence of the thread itself is damaging an innocent party. Even then I would prefer that the post is edited with a disclaimer explaining why the statements are considered untrue. This way they could form a body of evidence that the innocent party could refer to as proof that someone was trying to discredit their name through false statements.

Transparency is the goal. If someone deserves a ban and their actions are visible people won't question the admin quite so much. If someone's doing something wrong it's obvious to everyone why.

This post by Coyote was liked by 2 people: topazg, xed_over

Post #24 Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
[admin]
badukJr wrote:
If moderators have the power to delete their own threads to deflect criticism, then ordinary posters should be able to delete their own threads as well...

Kirby wrote:
I'm also against locking posts, but I didn't realize that ordinary users couldn't delete their own posts...

I was surprised when I found out that you couldn't delete your own posts. It seemed proper that anybody should be able to. I expected that I would just have to toggle a flag someplace to change it. I checked on it, and it appears that phpbb has no provision for it. This, of course means that you can't delete a thread either.

Until somebody writes some custom code, it doesn't look like it will change. Pleas to Kirby or Fwiffo or Adrian or any of the other admins who write php might be the best way.

[/admin]

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: topazg

Post #25 Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
In my opinion the option to edit is generally sufficient. Giving users the ability to delete their replies and even threads would cause a lot of confusion. It's also kinda annoying to have your replies disappear because the thread has been deleted.

This post by illluck was liked by: xed_over

Post #26 Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
I just made a post and deleted it, in this very thread...

This post by palapiku was liked by: illluck

Post #27 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:03 am 
Lives in sente

@palapiku: Good point, that's only an option before there have been any replies if I remember correctly, though.

Post #28 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
tchan001 wrote:
I think I'll just do a JF and stay away from the community for a long while
Nooooooooo :cry: I wish you’d stay.

Post #29 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 am 
Oza

Kirby wrote:
[..] I think that getting angry, announcing your leave of absence, going away for awhile, then coming back again is a rite of passage for active posters. It's a natural process we all go through to grow into grumpy old men (or women). If you haven't gone through this process yet, you should do some serious introspection.
I’m not sure Tchan’s reason is being angry, it could as well be feeling hurt. Not necessarily by others here.

Anyway, I know both feelings. More than I’d want to. And bad conscience can sometimes lead to hurting oneself which is a lose-lose game. And although I very well understand the process you describe, Kirby—been there, done that, though not here; am a relatively old man now though not too grumpy, I hope—I’ll refrain from suggestions because…
1) introspection (like therapy) only works if done out of oneself, and, more importantly,
2) Tchan’s utterings give me reason to believe they are the result of introspection.

I also think nobody outside of the person in question is apt to criticize the consequences of such an introspection (except if these touch others).

So I just repeat myself: Tchan, I wish you’d stay.

Post #30 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:17 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
tchan001 wrote:
I'll just note that John didn't make New In Go private, he left it open, because he thought it was a better forum for his ideas than L19. If you feel compelled to leave, I hope you follow his example and leave your blog open so that people may read it.

This post by hyperpape was liked by 3 people: Boidhre, Bonobo, Joaz Banbeck

Post #31 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
[admin]
badukJr wrote:
If moderators have the power to delete their own threads to deflect criticism, then ordinary posters should be able to delete their own threads as well...

Kirby wrote:
I'm also against locking posts, but I didn't realize that ordinary users couldn't delete their own posts...

I was surprised when I found out that you couldn't delete your own posts. It seemed proper that anybody should be able to. I expected that I would just have to toggle a flag someplace to change it. I checked on it, and it appears that phpbb has no provision for it. This, of course means that you can't delete a thread either.

Until somebody writes some custom code, it doesn't look like it will change. Pleas to Kirby or Fwiffo or Adrian or any of the other admins who write php might be the best way.

[/admin]

You can already delete your own posts if they're the last in the thread.
However, you can't if there's been other posts. Since deleting posts in the middle of thread can break it completely, I'd very much be against adding that as a feature.
Also, a user can always edit and blank his post and have almost the same effect, without making it seem that some people might be talking to themselves.

This post by Phelan was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #32 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I was going to write something longer but thanks Tchan if you're reading this, in particular for documenting all those Asian Go books. I've bought a number of excellent problem sets from China and Japan because of the information you've provided. I hope you open your blog up again sometime.

This post by CnP was liked by: xed_over

Post #33 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:55 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
tchan001 wrote:

LOL.

When I first read this post, I didn't think tchan was being serious. My first thoughts were that he's got a very dry wit and was taking a slight dig at Mr Fairbairn's behaviour.

But if he is serious, why announce it at all? Is it some sort of punishment to the Go community at large?

Wow, such egos -- "Oh no, someone stepped on my toes. I'll just quit posting, or going to Go Congresses. That'll show everyone!"

Get over yourselves.

Yes, you'll be missed by some, maybe even by most, but certainly not by all. And guess what, the world lives on. Eventually, someone else steps up to the plate.

The next time we have Admin elections, maybe we need to elect someone who doesn't get offended so easily and runs away anytime there's trouble.

Yes, being an admin is a hard job, and is often under appreciated. But I suspect the community at large still very much appreciates the job our elected admins do, even if they don't say it -- else we wouldn't have elected them (because we know we need them).

Will they make mistakes and step over the line? Of course they will (and its often a fuzzy line at best). We, the community at large, need to get over ourselves too.

PS. This post is not intended as a personal attack on any one person here, but rather its intended as a general observation toward an apparent widespread attitude by using a few specific examples. I still appreciate and respect each person highlighted in these specific examples (except for this one particular apparent character flaw :) )

This post by xed_over was liked by 4 people: badukJr, nagano, quantumf, sefo

Post #34 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:17 pm 
Tengen

A small point: I have written a few things I should not have, and I think the best response, if you can't delete them before anyone else sees them or posts a reply, is to edit out the content of the post and write something like

Quote:
"I wrote something [stupid|nasty|stupid and nasty] because I was angry, but having thought about it, I don't agree with what I wrote, and am sorry."
In my opinion, doing that is far better than deleting, but also avoids having every new visitor to the thread read whatever insult I dashed out in a fit of anger.

In some cases it might be even better to say "if you read what I originally wrote, and feel the need to call me a jackass, I will try to understand, because I was being a jackass."

This post by hyperpape was liked by 6 people: Bantari, Bonobo, nagano, Phelan, topazg, xed_over

Post #35 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:05 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
hyperpape wrote:
A small point: I have written a few things I should not have, and I think the best response, if you can't delete them before anyone else sees them or posts a reply, is to edit out the content of the post and write something like

Quote:
"I wrote something [stupid|nasty|stupid and nasty] because I was angry, but having thought about it, I don't agree with what I wrote, and am sorry."
In my opinion, doing that is far better than deleting, but also avoids having every new visitor to the thread read whatever insult I dashed out in a fit of anger.

In some cases it might be even better to say "if you read what I originally wrote, and feel the need to call me a jackass, I will try to understand, because I was being a jackass."

Another possibility is to think before posting. Admittedly, I'm a hypocrite if I don't prefix with saying that I am one of the guiltiest offenders on this front.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bonobo

Post #36 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:11 pm 
Tengen

Of course. My post was only about damage control.

Post #37 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 35
Was liked: 18
xed_over wrote:
[...]Is it some sort of punishment to the Go community at large?

Wow, such egos[...]

Get over yourselves.

Yes, you'll be missed by some, maybe even by most, but certainly not by all. And guess what, the world lives on. Eventually, someone else steps up to the plate.

The next time we have Admin elections, maybe we need to elect someone who doesn't get offended so easily and runs away anytime there's trouble.

+1

That's right, get over yourselves and move the useless thread somewhere where it doesn't appear as one of the most active threads in L19.

This post by sefo was liked by 2 people: ChradH, xed_over

Post #38 Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:51 pm 
Lives in sente

@Sefo: You owe me a new irony detector.

Anyways, seems like this has indeed ran its course. I'd be ok with locking it.

This post by illluck was liked by: Bonobo

Post #39 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:12 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
xed_over wrote:
tchan001 wrote:

LOL.

When I first read this post, I didn't think tchan was being serious. My first thoughts were that he's got a very dry wit and was taking a slight dig at Mr Fairbairn's behaviour.

But if he is serious, why announce it at all? Is it some sort of punishment to the Go community at large?

Wow, such egos -- "Oh no, someone stepped on my toes. I'll just quit posting, or going to Go Congresses. That'll show everyone!"

Get over yourselves.

Yes, being an admin is a hard job, and is often under appreciated. But I suspect the community at large still very much appreciates the job our elected admins do, even if they don't say it -- else we wouldn't have elected them (because we know we need them).

Will they make mistakes and step over the line? Of course they will (and its often a fuzzy line at best). We, the community at large, need to get over ourselves too.

PS. This post is not intended as a personal attack on any one person here, but rather its intended as a general observation toward an apparent widespread attitude by using a few specific examples. I still appreciate and respect each person highlighted in these specific examples (except for this one particular apparent character flaw :) )

Are you serious? It's not that big a deal. He is just letting people know what he is doing. Their is no reason to be so rude about it ;-).

Ps. Sefo I find it ironic thAt you are criticizing someone's behavior with a picture that says it is Pointless to criticize people's behavior on the internet

This post by speedchase was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, myshlev

Post #40 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:15 pm 
Oza

hyperpape wrote:
[..] write something like

Quote:
[..]

I SOOOO agree with this. As a proposal, that is, as a desideratum, something we wish for.

BUT … I'd be happy if we could agree on that this is not always easy, it is a skill that’s not simply achieved by doing once; in my experience it seems to take a lifetime to master (reminds of something, eh?). And I’d wish that we could somehow … show friendly acceptance towards those of whom we think they play black, so to speak. Actually, I believe that this friendly acceptance oozes out of your comment :-)

And I believe that harsh criticizm, blaming or even insults are counterproductive. Note that I don’t say they are “bad” or … not understandable, they are counterproductive, simple as that. Plus they negate the conscience conflicts and confusion I’m sure everybody older than, say, five years has experienced when one realizes that one has made a mistake which leads to shame/guilt/bewilderment/embarrassment/whathaveyou and then trying to do something to minimize the negative effects.

I believe we can only teach each other when we are able to understand the other’s mistakes and—if we show empathy.

Uhm, what was it that I wanted to say … nevermind. Neuralyzer*. Peace.

_____
* For meine Deutsch readers: Neuralizer = »Blitzdings« ;-)