It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thread icons
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 2
I noticed that all threads that I've posted in have a small black dot in their icon (is this supposed to be a go stone?). In my opinion this doesn't look very nice. Filling the background of the circle with green or something like that would certainly look better! Or maybe someone has an even better idea!? I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum who are skilled with Photoshop and can make beautful new icons :)

Post subject: Re: Thread icons
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Zwergesel wrote:
I noticed that all threads that I've posted in have a small black dot in their icon (is this supposed to be a go stone?). In my opinion this doesn't look very nice. Filling the background of the circle with green or something like that would certainly look better! Or maybe someone has an even better idea!? I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum who are skilled with Photoshop and can make beautful new icons :)

I know there is some work being done to rework the default layout for the site (theme, etc.), so that should most likely be updated with that. The work is currently being held up/on hold since fwiffo is the one working on it and work has apparently been getting the better of him.

viewtopic.php?p=7990#p7990 for more info, and see the rest of the thread for other discussions so far.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:37 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
Yeah, my life has been completely screwed up. I've only even been able to play like 1-2 games a week (when I'm lucky!) I haven't even had enough time to properly whine about how crappy my life is right now.

So, the redesign has been on hold. But when I get back to it, it will take a little time because it's a lot more complicated than, e.g. a WordPress theme.

If somebody else with web design experience took over at this point, I would not take it as an insult, but it really is my intention to get back to it at some point. And any cosmetic improvements to the board (other than minor tweaks or fixes) will probably take place when the new theme comes into play.

My plan is roughly as follows:

1) Base the theme on the prosilver template which has more modern, cleaner markup than the the subsilver based ones. It'll use the markup from the prosilver template and just replace the stylesheets and images, which will make it compatible with most PHPbb mods.
2) Create some static image mock-ups of different screens and possibly some different layout options to get some feedback.
3) Create a "beta" version of the layout for the adventurous. It will probably lack some features and have some glitches that need to be worked out.
4) Create a "release" version that will become the default for the site. It will still lack some things; it'll probably reuse the prosilver icons, as redesigning the dozens of icons that PHPbb uses will take some time. Certain lower-priority screens like moderator control panels and such might only be partially styled.
5) Gradually finish off the icons, smilies, low-priority screens, etc. over time.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:25 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
But at least all my friends will be there.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
In fact, new beautiful icons will be a great disadvantage to the forum. Hope this the nearest plan for the future.

Last edited by Clugger on Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:34 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
This thread is a year and a half old...

Also, I don't quite understand your opinion. Are you in favor of an icon redesign, or opposed to one?

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.