It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The connection has timed out
Post #101 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:25 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
I had the problems today between 10AM - 11AM GMT. I tried from Turkey and Germany, same result.

If we are getting Http 503 errors, it is probably not a bandwidth issue. (since the server is able to serve the error at least.) I could not check the HTTP error code in my case since the problem ceased as I began to look into it.

One thing I noticed was that the server would usually serve the last page of a multiple page thread, but would have problems with the previous pages of the same thread. But that is not a statistically verifiable experiment right now.

Oh, also when connecting from Firefox instead of chrome, I got served a 0 byte viewtopic.php file. Your php-mod might also be goofing up or my Firefox might be stupid.

Post #102 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Yes, last night it was really bad again :cry:

I had mentioned this odd error message before:
Quote:
Got java.net.SocketException (Connection reset) [..]

Would anybody please explain what this message means? What does Java have to do with it? Or does “java.net.SocketException” not have anything to do with Java? What is it then?

TIA, Tom

Post #103 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Bonobo wrote:
Yes, last night it was really bad again :cry:

It seems to be bad every weekend. It seems to go in cycles of about 4-5 days ok, then 2-3 days timeout on threads longer than 15 posts. I can hardly read this forum any more, much less contribute.

Bonobo wrote:
I had mentioned this odd error message before:
Quote:
Got java.net.SocketException (Connection reset) [..]

Would anybody please explain what this message means? What does Java have to do with it? Or does “java.net.SocketException” not have anything to do with Java? What is it then?

At first glance, it looks like the backend server is using java to serve up this php forum. Or its at least one link in the chain somewhere between you and the server.

I don't recall seeing any java specific error messages myself, but I do get lots of connection timeout errors on longer threads.

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bonobo

Post #104 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Seems worse on some days than others, and sometimes one post won't load but others will, but I don't see a pattern.

Post #105 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Claint wrote:
I had the problems today between 10AM - 11AM GMT. ...

Here in Southern California, I'm on several times per day between 11:00 and 24:00 GMT or later. I haven't seen a slowdown in weeks.

Post #106 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:04 pm 
Oza

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Claint wrote:

Here in Southern California, I'm on several times per day between 11:00 and 24:00 GMT or later. I haven't seen a slowdown in weeks.

I would report when I have problems, except I can't connect :(

This post by xed_over was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, ez4u

Post #107 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:33 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Claint wrote:

Yesterday at around 5pm GMT I couldn't connect to several threads including this one. The rest of the site worked fine.

Post #108 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
I've noticed that limiting the number of posts per page seems to make some threads accessible again.

This post by skydyr was liked by: Bonobo

Post #109 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:52 pm 
Judan

skydyr wrote:
I've noticed that limiting the number of posts per page seems to make some threads accessible again.

(Admin)
If true, that could be the key to fixing the problem. The posts per page figure is easily adjustable.
Can anyone else confirm or refute Skydyr's conjecture?
(/admin)

Post #110 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:01 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
skydyr wrote:

(Admin)
If true, that could be the key to fixing the problem. The posts per page figure is easily adjustable.
(/admin)

Next time it happens to me I'll test that. My current post per page is 20 for reference.

Post #111 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 pm 
Oza

I had it at 40 b/c I have DSL and we have 2013, and with my life’s remaining time getting shorter (sometimes it seems I’m on Byo-Yomi already) I don’t really have any time to waste waiting for the next page to load <shrug> but now I also set it down to 20 which is really sad, given how fast I read :-| But then again, usually I’m just following threads, not reading several pages of a thread at a time, so it might be less bad than I thought.

Last edited by Bonobo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #112 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
skydyr wrote:

(Admin)
(/admin)

I got the idea from something someone else had said, but I can't recall who.

Post #113 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:16 pm 
Oza

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
skydyr wrote:

(Admin)
(/admin)

I used to have mine set at 40, but because of these problems I reduced it to 30. It seemed to reduce the number of timeout connections, but not eliminate them. I really hate the thought of dropping down to 20 or even 10 -- that's so annoying to have to click through so many pages to read the context of a thread.

Post #114 Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 am 
Oza

xed_over wrote:
[..] I really hate the thought of dropping down to 20 or even 10 -- that's so annoying to have to click through so many pages to read the context of a thread.
that was exactly my sentiment, too, but now that I thought of it: I’m a regular reader here, so it’s actually quite seldom that I need to read many successive pages of a thread. And if it helps loading pages AT ALL this will for sure be faster that having to wait forever :D

Post #115 Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Claint wrote:

This is strange... I am in southern CA as well and see a lot of timeout issues. True, its much better than it used to be 2-3 weeks ago or so, but the pages still often fail to load on first try. I noticed this is especially bad in the morning, but this is when I mostly do my catching up, so maybe its just coincidence.

Post #116 Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 149
Was liked: 101
Universal go server handle: billywoods
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

1. My settings are essentially the default settings, and I experience plenty of problems at random times that I haven't been bothered to post.
2. It seems pretty clear to me that the problem is server-side. If nobody's fiddling with the software but the connection fault is still flickering on and off, the fault is probably not with the software, even if some clunkier bits of code might trigger the fault more readily than others. (Message board software was hardly the height of modern technology even 10 years ago.) Any proposed solution that involves fiddling with forum settings is like wallpapering over rising damp. Someone needs to get in touch with the people who host this website.

Post #117 Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Mine are the default settings. I've never changed any of them. Yet this is a constant problem for many months. It occurs on multiple browsers and OS's.

Post #118 Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Joaz mentioned that he's tried contacting Jordus several times about these issues. The latest on that front was Jordus checking his PMs on April 10th. Has Jordus looked into these issues at all?

I think it's more than a good idea (necessary) that Joaz be given full domain access. Even if he can't isolate the problems himself, at least he can be in contact those who perhaps can.

Note: I'm still experiencing random slow downs and pages not loading as well.

This post by deja was liked by: Bonobo

Post #119 Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
deja wrote:
Joaz mentioned that he's tried contacting Jordus several times about these issues. The latest on that front was Jordus checking his PMs on April 10th. Has Jordus looked into these issues at all?

I think it's more than a good idea (necessary) that Joaz be given full domain access. Even if he can't isolate the problems himself, at least he can be in contact those who perhaps can.

Note: I'm still experiencing random slow downs and pages not loading as well.

By the way - out of curiosity - what is the issue with Jordus?
On vacation? Busy? Lost interest? Or?...

This post by Bantari was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, ez4u

Post #120 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:34 pm 
Judan

We appeared to be down for a while this morning ( Pacific time ) - even cell access. was it just me?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next