It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quote Limit
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:20 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
The number of nested quotes is limited to 3.

But the software will gladly add 4 for you automatically.

Going back into the giant block of text to pick out the most nested quote and delete it is really annoying.

The limitation should be removed or the software should only add the last 3.

This post by badukJr was liked by 2 people: Phelan, xed_over

Post subject: Re: Quote Limit
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:50 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
badukJr wrote:
The number of nested quotes is limited to 3.

But the software will gladly add 4 for you automatically.

Going back into the giant block of text to pick out the most nested quote and delete it is really annoying.

The limitation should be removed or the software should only add the last 3.

I have encountered this a few times myself and it is 'fairly' annoying. However, let's be honest, this is mainly a problem in threads that feature teams of trolls going at it hot and heavy. Perhaps the better solution would be refuse to automatically quote more than two levels and force the poster to manually add anything deeper! :D

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
ez4u wrote:
Perhaps the better solution would be refuse to automatically quote more than two levels and force the poster to manually add anything deeper! :D

but this is already the case (only with 3, not 2)

the point is, that it initially will include all the quoted levels, but it won't accept them, forcing you to manually edit them (which can be problematic if you miss a quote tag -- then you can't tell who said what)

I don't mind the quote limits -- it reduces potential undue strain on the server -- but badukjr is right, the software should be smart enough to figure out the last x number of quoted levels and only include those in the first place.

This post by xed_over was liked by: Phelan

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I don't think that anybody has an objection to this upgrade, but we may have to double Kirby's salary.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
I can send in a bag of Lays or Doritos.

This post by badukJr was liked by: Phelan

Post #6 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm 
Oza

xed_over wrote:
ez4u wrote:
Perhaps the better solution would be refuse to automatically quote more than two levels and force the poster to manually add anything deeper! :D

the point is, that it initially will include all the quoted levels, but it won't accept them, forcing you to manually edit them (which can be problematic if you miss a quote tag -- then you can't tell who said what)

I don't mind the quote limits -- it reduces potential undue strain on the server -- but badukjr is right, the software should be smart enough to figure out the last x number of quoted levels and only include those in the first place.

I wrote mine as a joke, however, I am not sure that the current suggestion is going to work if I understand it correctly. Only the poster can know which of the multiple quotes they really want to address. As a result, shouldn't the software simply issue a warning that the quoted text loaded into the text box now contains too many levels? The poster needs to sort it out.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
ez4u wrote:
xed_over wrote:
ez4u wrote:

I wrote mine as a joke, however, I am not sure that the current suggestion is going to work if I understand it correctly. Only the poster can know which of the multiple quotes they really want to address. As a result, shouldn't the software simply issue a warning that the quoted text loaded into the text box now contains too many levels? The poster needs to sort it out.

So you often find yourself quoting a response to a response to a post, when in fact you want to respond to the original post?

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 pm 
Oza

Phelan wrote:
ez4u wrote:
... I am not sure that the current suggestion is going to work if I understand it correctly. Only the poster can know which of the multiple quotes they really want to address. As a result, shouldn't the software simply issue a warning that the quoted text loaded into the text box now contains too many levels? The poster needs to sort it out.

So you often find yourself quoting a response to a response to a post, when in fact you want to respond to the original post?

Not the original so much as the interaction of the last few posts. So it may or may not make sense if you simply eliminate the most deeply buried quote (which I think is what is being proposed).

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375

What nested quote limit? I don't see any limit.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

This post by Dusk Eagle was liked by 2 people: ez4u, Phelan

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:47 am 
Oza

Dusk Eagle wrote:

What nested quote limit? I don't see any limit.

There's always a wise guy... :tmbup:

Post #11 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:36 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Here's a thought. Why nest at all?

Shakespeare didn't nest his dialogues.

Besides, nesting separates the person quoted from what he or she said. That makes reading the exchange more difficult.

Why not make quotes serial?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Bill Spight wrote:

Besides, nesting separates the person quoted from what he or she said. That makes reading the exchange more difficult.

Missed this post when you originally made it...

That is an interesting idea. I've gotten so used to the nesting approach just because that's forum "normal" that I didn't think about anything else. (Hooray for ruts!)

I know plenty of people do this on their own anyway (I find myself modifying quotes--nested or not--most of the time). I wonder what it would take to make this modification? And would people be thrown off by it too much? QUESTIONS FOR THE AGES! Or just some afternoon time...

Post #13 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Bill Spight wrote:

If I quote someone quoting someone else and it's serial it's not clear that I'm not quoting two people separately. You can usually figure it out by context but not always.

Though, honestly the sites I'm used to just quote the first person and trim away any quotes by them leaving just their post. It forces you to read back through a thread to figure out an argument but it works fine to be honest. It just looks weird sometimes.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:36 pm 
Oza

Boidhre wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

If I quote someone quoting someone else and it's serial it's not clear that I'm not quoting two people separately. You can usually figure it out by context but not always.

Though, honestly the sites I'm used to just quote the first person and trim away any quotes by them leaving just their post. It forces you to read back through a thread to figure out an argument but it works fine to be honest. It just looks weird sometimes.

I would have to disagree. Most comments on blogs are done without quotes. I find it can be very difficult to follow any significant back and forth discussion. YMMV :scratch:

Post #15 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
ez4u wrote:
I would have to disagree. Most comments on blogs are done without quotes. I find it can be very difficult to follow any significant back and forth discussion. YMMV :scratch:

Sorry, I was unclear. There is one quote of the post you're directly replying to but no quote of the post that post was replying to. Like this post here, except done automatically.