It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You have logged in page.
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:34 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 57
Was liked: 19
There is an extra page after login (and other actions), that informs me of the success. Would it be possible to remove this? It is useless, and i don't see why i have to click to return where i came from. It's like clicking away an error message on success.

Post subject: Re: You have logged in page.
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=322

This has been discussed before. It goes back to how phpBB was originally programmed, and allows for the code to be a lot cleaner. See the above thread for some previous discussion on this topic.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
Why don't you reduce the redirect delay everywhere to 1 sec or even instantly?

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Helel wrote:
Did you ever get an answer of how hard it would be to implement individual delay settings?

I have not gotten a response on that yet.

I see that Adrian's been at least logging in. Not sure if he's seen this topic. I don't know if anyone else can talk about it or not, but he seems to know the code base the best (as far as I can tell...people should let me know if we have some more experts around here :)). Hopefully he'll see this and help us out.

Li Kao wrote:
Why don't you reduce the redirect delay everywhere to 1 sec or even instantly?

This idea was also floated in that other thread, and has been discussed. I know it has been shortened from what it originally was, but I actually like having the delay in there. I like the option of being able to click the different places to go (this is talking specifically about the delay after posting, just for clarification).

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
As far as I know, it's only possible to change the delay on those screens by editing the source, so making that a user-configurable option would require a bunch of programming work to add a new profile configuration option. It wouldn't be hard to change it for everyone, however, if everybody's happy with that.

The reason it works that way, IMO, is completely stupid and a bad design choice by phpBB. That goes for the post topic form, etc.

The way it works right now is:

1) Your browser makes a GET request
2) The web server returns the page with the login form
3) You fill out the form and click login
4) Your browser makes a POST request with your login information
5) The web server processes the login and returns the interstitial page in response to the POST request
6) Your web browser (after the delay) processes a meta refresh and issues a GET request for the main forum index
7) The web server responds to the GET with the main forum page

That's not really good behavior. It's best practice to not return any content in response to a POST request; it should redirect with a Location: header to show the user the result of their action (or an interstitial page if so desired). That way if the user uses the back button or clicks refresh or something their won't be a chance of resubmitting the form.

So steps 4-6 should be replaced with:

4) Your browser makes a POST request with your login information
5) The web server processes the login and sends a Location: header to an interstitial page or the main forum index. It returns no page content.
6) Your web browser makes a GET request for the interstitial page or main forum index and doesn't get it's back buffer polluted with a POST page.

It shouldn't use a meta refresh. If you return a page in response to a POST request instead of a Location: redirect, then there will be a form POST stuck in the user's history. If they navigate back, they'll get a message about resubmitting the form, which will either result in a duplicate submission, or them clicking cancel or something and not being able to see the page. It's a bad design and a bad user experience and a pet peeve of mine.