It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unfollow Forums and Topics on L19
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
I know many people use the "View unread posts" and "View new posts" features to browse this forum. However, there are certain subforums that you may not be interested in, and there may be topics within a subforum that you may not want to continually see pop up as unread or even one topic you'd like to keep reading in an otherwise uninteresting subforum. To address that, I've written a user script that allows you to individually select topics and forums you find interesting and only have those appear in your "View unread posts" and "View new posts" pages.

Here's how it works:

You start off following all forums and all topics. A checkbox is added beside each subforum, and by clicking it you unsubscribe from that subforum, so that no more threads from it will show up in your "View unread posts" and "View new posts" pages. Within an unfollowed subforum, you can individually mark threads to follow, which will re-add them to your "View * posts" pages. Also, from within a followed subforum, you can individually mark topics that you don't want to follow (which is quite useful for when a thread goes down some side discussion you don't find interesting, or for hand-picking Malkovich games to follow). While viewing a topic, you can also click the "Follow topic" or "Unfollow topic" link in the top left, so you don't have to travel up one level into the subforum directory to follow or unfollow the thread.

This script has currently been tested in Firefox and Chrome.

For Firefox:
1) Install the Greasemonkey add-on (mandatory).
2) Install the Unfollow Forums and Topics user script.

For Chrome:
1) Install the Tampermonkey extension (mandatory).
2) Install the Unfollow Forums and Topics user script.

Also worth noting is that this only currently works for the subsilver2 theme. If you use the lifein19x19 theme and are interested in this add-on, please let me know. As it is, I'm not sure if all that many people actually use that theme. It would probably also be a cinch to add a like button to that theme, so if that's the only thing stopping you from using it let me know as well.

Now, given the timing of me finishing this project and the recent turbulence of the board, I feel it is important to note: In no way does this user script add any extra load to the server. All of the following and filtering of posts is done locally in your own browser. Currently, the add-on doesn't even fetch extra unread/new posts to fill up the ones it filtered from your view, which means if you happen to follow only a very small number of mainly inactive forums, you might end up with the first page of your "View * posts" being blank, and having to click through to the second page to see results. However, I have been testing this add-on for a few days and can assure you this would only happen if you choose to follow just next to nothing on the forum. For any typical use it will filter out the unwanted posts and still leave plenty of unread/new posts on the first page for you to view. In addition, on the "View * posts" pages, a link has been added to display both followed and unfollowed posts, in case you're curious if there's any interesting discussion going on that you're missing.

Anyway, please let me know if you find this script useful or not! I'm also interested if you have any feature suggestions for it, or if you find any bugs in it. With final exams and a move to Seattle coming up, I may be a bit short for time to work on this in the near future, but I should still have a little bit of time to put toward any improvements of this script if you like it. I know it's something I'm definitely finding useful.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

This post by Dusk Eagle was liked by 4 people: Boidhre, jts, LocoRon, skydyr

Post subject: Re: Unfollow Forums and Topics on L19
Post #2 Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:46 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Dusk Eagle wrote:
If you use the lifein19x19 theme and are interested in this add-on, please let me know. As it is, I'm not sure if all that many people actually use that theme. It would probably also be a cinch to add a like button to that theme, so if that's the only thing stopping you from using it let me know as well.

That is the only thing stopping me from using the lifein19x19 theme.