It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Translating my Counting Lessons.
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
In recent weeks I have received two requests to be allowed to publish translated versions of my counting lessons, one into Vietnamese and the other into French. This is somewhat surprising as they occurred within weeks of one another even thought it is almost eight years since I did them. In each case I have said yes, but on the condition that a statement similar to the following is attached.

"These lessons were originally written by, and are the copyright of, Steve Fawthrop. The English original can be found at http://senseis.xmp.net/?SteveFawthrop%2FCounting. This translation, by xxxxx, is done with permission. They may not be reproduced without the written consent of both the original author and the translator."

I have been thinking for some time about giving them their own site and URL. Right now they are only available by going to my SL page. These requests give me the impetus to do this. In the coming weeks I will do this and provide links to these translations as they are made available to me. If anyone else is interested in translating them please send me a message.

Post subject: Re: Translating my Counting Lessons.
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Would probably be more interested in any additional English language lessons you may have prepared but not released. If I recall correctly, a while ago you had prepared some for some online publication which unfortunately died too early.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Now that I have pretty much given up go there is very little likelihood of me ever producing any more original works. I haven't even looked at those counting lessons in years. I am willing to keep them available and let people translate them but that is all.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:28 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Thanks for according the translation DrStraw ;)
Hope some people will find the french translation useful. (I'm sure at least 4-5 people)

If people wants Go stuff (not an entire book of course :))to be translate into french, ask me. I'll be glad to do it (but it will maybe require some time depending on the length)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 30
Helel wrote:
On a related note

Speaking of other people able to write about about counting, evaluation and related matters, does anyone know if there is any hope of seeing something published by Bill Spight before Armageddon kills us all? In paper or digitally. It doesn't have to be big and pretentious. ;-)

He published a number of academic articles. Try googling his name in, say, Google Scholar?

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:04 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
how strong is Bill???
i can see that he is stronger than i am but by how much?

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:36 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Magicwand wrote:
how strong is Bill???
i can see that he is stronger than i am but by how much?

U. S. 5 dan.

I appreciate the compliment, but I do not see that I am stronger than you. We just have different weaknesses and strengths. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 pm 
Oza

unkx80 wrote:
He published a number of academic articles. Try googling his name in, say, Google Scholar?

Google Scholar? Never heard of it. What is it?

Post #9 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:44 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
DrStraw wrote:
unkx80 wrote:

Google Scholar? Never heard of it. What is it?

Google Scholar is Google's Academic Paper search.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:59 pm 
Oza

To bad I refuse to use Google. I only use Startpage because it does not safe any information about you.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:46 pm 
Honinbo

DrStraw wrote:
To bad I refuse to use Google. I only use Startpage because it does not safe any information about you.

How is that? I use Ixquick. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:26 pm 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

How is that? I use Ixquick. :)

Ixquick is the international version of StartPage. StartPage is English only. Ixquick is multilingual, but it is the same program. Look to the right of the Ixquick page and it will tell you.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Helel,
Jag kan inte skicka PM till dig för du har stängt av det. Pls enable.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:05 am 
Honinbo

Helel wrote:
unkx80 wrote:
Helel wrote:
On a related note

Speaking of other people able to write about about counting, evaluation and related matters, does anyone know if there is any hope of seeing something published by Bill Spight before Armageddon kills us all? In paper or digitally. It doesn't have to be big and pretentious. ;-)

I am aware of his academic stuff, and as opposed to DrStraw I do use both Google and Google Scholar quite a lot.
But I was really aiming for something more directly aimed at go players. I know he stated a few years ago that he worked on a book on evaluation, is this still in progress?

It is, but I have a shorter book project now. :) I may be better than pros at endgame evaluation, but they are better than I at tesuji and life and death. What I am working on now is a book with several ancient problems, giving the pro moves and my evaluation. Readers can have confidence in both. :) I expect to finish the manuscript in the fall.

Quote:
DrStraw wrote:

Whatever for? Even if they for some reason haven't planted a microchip in your brain and/or bugged your bedroom, they most certainly know everything you do anyhow. Resistance is futile.

"Microsoft. We know where you live." -- Lincoln Spector

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:15 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
DrStraw wrote:

According to my very information, aluminum foil wrapped around your head can make you totally safe from the mind-reading aliens from planet Google who are bent on dominating this planet. Never leave home without aluminum foil!! Always have a roll handy!