It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best software to save study diagrams and problems
Post #1 Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:18 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
To make maximum use of my study time, I think it would be better to play out the diagrams and problems from the books I'm reading. I think it would help me better visualize the situations and think about the sequences. If I do that, I'd like to be able to save them for later reference and review.

I've tried to save them in Drago but it's a bit clumsy. For some reason, when I open a problem that I saved and try to play it forward, Drago plays entirely different sequences than what I previously saved.

I'm looking for software that will:

let me input the problem or diagram starting position
input and save the correct sequence

bonus: will allow me to easily jump to the next problem or diagram in the same book. For example, I'd like to be able to open the file for Graded Go Problems II and jump from one problem to another or Tesuji and jump from p.32 dia. 3 to the next diagram. Being able to choose a starting point would be perfect.

Any suggestions?

I've tried Drago but couldn't figure out how to use the database or get it to work right.

Go Grinder would seemingly be perfect but there doesn't seem to be any way to input a new problem or diagram.

It would seem that this would be a marketing opportunity for Kiseido.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.

Tom

Post subject: Re: best software to save study diagrams and problems
Post #2 Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
I believe Drago combined with GoGrinder, or even Drago on it's own, will work. I don't get what you're doing with Drago in order to make it not work. Are you using the problem solving mode when you get those "entirely different sequences"? In that case, the sgf was messed up in the first place which narrows the problem to creating an sgf with Drago.

Post subject: Re: best software to save study diagrams and problems
Post #3 Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
CarlJung wrote:
I believe Drago combined with GoGrinder, or even Drago on it's own, will work. I don't get what you're doing with Drago in order to make it not work. Are you using the problem solving mode when you get those "entirely different sequences"? In that case, the sgf was messed up in the first place which narrows the problem to creating an sgf with Drago.

you are correct sir. I "found" the game tree was corrupted (garbage in garbage out :oops: ) and all is now working well. :)