All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Questions about a game
Post #61 Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:17 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Interesting find Bill. The obvious interpretation to me of chucking more win% on moves with more time is that these are harder moves and despite spending the extra time the chosen play was quite some way off Leela's best move. If less time had been taken maybe it would have been even worse (or maybe better, sometimes it is possible to overthink and come up with a worse move than your intuition). The next step would be doing a similar analysis with another bot. If a similar pattern is found then that is saying the two bots agree on which moves were good and which were bad, so the "spending more time on hard moves and still not playing so well" hypothesis is strengthened. I'm not sure what it means if such a correlation is not found. The absolute win% differences of another bot are not so important, what Leela calls a 2% mistake LeelaElf might call a 10% because is stronger and has more extreme opinions, it's the relative difference between fast and slow moves that is.

Post #62 Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Uberdude wrote:
Interesting find Bill. The obvious interpretation to me of chucking more win% on moves with more time is that these are harder moves and despite spending the extra time the chosen play was quite some way off Leela's best move.

Carlo took the most time on move 37, almost 4 min. Do we really think that Carlo, if cheating, let Leela run that long because he thought the move was difficult, and then did not choose Leela's best move over one that Leela (probably) said was decidedly inferior? If living in the corner in gote was Leela's best choice after 4 min., then maybe the eye-stealing tesuji, which Cieply's Leela came up with both times after more than 200K rollouts, was a mistake, as was Leela's assessment, in analysis, that Leela's later choice chucked 3.08% or 2.54%, depending on the analysis run. Of course, that is possible, as is the possibility that Leela simply overthought the position. ;) I suppose that it is possible for a top bot to overthink, but that's not the way to bet. That still leaves the question in my mind, if cheating, why did Carlo let Leela run that long? For instance, if he was running Ales's Leela, it would have told him that living immediately in the corner would have turned a likely win into a likely loss, and Bojanic's Leela would have told him the same thing, but also would have said that his play would have lost 7% pts. :shock:

Quote:
The next step would be doing a similar analysis with another bot.

Yes! :D And doing it as I suggest, by making both Carlo's play and the play suggested by the bot, and comparing those results.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #63 Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 89
Bill Spight wrote:
Carlo took the most time on move 37, almost 4 min. Do we really think that Carlo, if cheating, let Leela run that long because he thought the move was difficult, and then did not choose Leela's best move over one that Leela (probably) said was decidedly inferior? If living in the corner in gote was Leela's best choice after 4 min., then maybe the eye-stealing tesuji, which Cieply's Leela came up with both times after more than 200K rollouts, was a mistake, as was Leela's assessment, in analysis, that Leela's later choice chucked 3.08% or 2.54%, depending on the analysis run. Of course, that is possible, as is the possibility that Leela simply overthought the position. ;)

Bill,
you forgot one important thing - Leela is not good in L&D, as shown in game from qualification that was also analyzed.
It made terrible mistake, and it took Metta long time to recover.

Long time for thinking on this move could be very easily explained - Metta played it, he was not confident in Leela after previous mistake.

Post #64 Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:31 am 
Honinbo

Bojanic wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Carlo took the most time on move 37, almost 4 min. Do we really think that Carlo, if cheating, let Leela run that long because he thought the move was difficult, and then did not choose Leela's best move over one that Leela (probably) said was decidedly inferior? If living in the corner in gote was Leela's best choice after 4 min., then maybe the eye-stealing tesuji, which Cieply's Leela came up with both times after more than 200K rollouts, was a mistake, as was Leela's assessment, in analysis, that Leela's later choice chucked 3.08% or 2.54%, depending on the analysis run. Of course, that is possible, as is the possibility that Leela simply overthought the position. ;)

Bill,
you forgot one important thing - Leela is not good in L&D, as shown in game from qualification that was also analyzed.
It made terrible mistake, and it took Metta long time to recover.

Long time for thinking on this move could be very easily explained - Metta played it, he was not confident in Leela after previous mistake.

Actually, you are agreeing with me. It is unlikely that Metta would take a long time on :b37: if he were going to use Leela to decide on which move to play, because Leela is bad at life and death questions. So he did his own thinking for this play. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #65 Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm 
Honinbo

I have applied the results of Ales Cieply's new and improved Leela 11 run to the positions in the note, viewtopic.php?p=233833#p233833 and the following note. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #66 Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 314
Jan.van.Rongen wrote:
2. The time taken to move contains a wealth of information that has not been used in a thorough analysis. In the Italian appeal only the weaknesses of the original "98% method" were shown, but they failed to provide additional evidence that goes against the allegation of cheating. A statistical analysus can show that both players speeded up, resp. slowed down in the same periods: i.e. they could both experience the same situations as difficult or easy. This is IMO strong evidence of not cheating, because it is very difficult to simulate that behaviour.

This idea interested me, so I had a really quick look at this in excel, so quick that I may have messed up.
If anyone is genuinely interested in the data I suggest they check it.
Column T is correlation on time spent by Black on Move N and by White on Move N+1.
Column T is correlation on time spent by Black on Move N and Move N+2 and by White on Move N+1 and Move N+3.
No idea if the pattern is normal!

Code:
Correlation   T   T+
All   0.190163358   0.645131427
10 to 25   -0.04818757   0.689699683
26 to 40   0.292364124   0.228355808
41 to 55   0.618649288   0.36956237
56 to 70   0.383386508   0.736804967
70 to end   0.08748908   0.671886045

Post #67 Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:15 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 55
Bill, I appreciate your extensive analysis a lot, it is really good to get different and well argued views. However, I tend to agree more with Milos on some points. First of all, it is really hard to say what move was Carlo's Leela suggesting (assuming he used it) at the time he was making his decision when compared with Leela's suggestions at 300k+ (or 200k+) nodes. In fact, in the Italian appeal they say that they got a better agreement between Carlo's moves and those suggested by Leela (top 3 choices) when they were running Leela on lower numbers of nodes. This indicates that the winrate estimates found at high number of playouts are not indicative for Carlo's moves. If I was to make an assumption on why Carlo used a lot of time on some moves I would say that he was more likely to spend more time when Leela's suggestions did differ from his own instincts and in positions when he suspected that Leela might be wrong. As a regular user of Leela he must know for sure where Leela's weaknesses are so he should spend more time when such situation occurs.

It should also be noted that when Carlo played fast, the moves were likely obvious or forced, so one is less likely to make an error (chunk a point/delta as you call it). On the other hand, when he is looking to find a better move than Leela suggest the move will likely be judged as a mistake by Leela. This can easily explain your observations.

Post #68 Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:39 am 
Dies in gote

I have asked Lukas Podpera (ID lukan here), one of the top European players, to give his "expert view" on the moves in the discussed game that he finds suspicious. I am translating the comments he attached (in Czech) to the game record:
:b29: this move is not played much nowadays as alpha-go joseki prefers a different one
:b33: the same here, unforced move
:b41: most strong player would just play c2, looks like a bot-play
:b51: good move but easy to find, most dan players would play there, not suspicous to me
:b59: important for a shape, not sure whether 4d player would see it
:b75: strong line of play
:b87: exquisite timing, not many strong amateur players would choose the right time to play this sequence
:b111: strong move
:b121: nice complex move, I do not believe any 4d would play it, most players would just block and defend the territory at the top
:b139: black is not concerned at all about the loss of territory at the top and ends the game with a sharp combination that I myself would have difficulty to find and play out so accurately
:b153: game finished, no 4d would wrap up the game so calmly and professionally

This post by AlesCieply was liked by: Javaness2

Post #69 Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:57 pm 
Honinbo

AlesCieply wrote:
First of all, it is really hard to say what move was Carlo's Leela suggesting (assuming he used it) at the time he was making his decision when compared with Leela's suggestions at 300k+ (or 200k+) nodes.

Not the question I am asking. I am asking whether, based upon Botvinnik's ideas, Carlo played worse when he took more time. My preference would have been to use a different bot, such as Elf, to estimate the chunks by Carlo. But you're the one who has made the most thorough analysis, and you used Leela 11.

Quote:
In fact, in the Italian appeal they say that they got a better agreement between Carlo's moves and those suggested by Leela (top 3 choices) when they were running Leela on lower numbers of nodes. This indicates that the winrate estimates found at high number of playouts are not indicative for Carlo's moves.

I don't follow you. The assumption I a making is that Leela 11, although flawed, is able compare moves reasonably well, especially with many playouts. My preference would be to use estimates at the same depth of the tree, because of potential horizon effects, but I'll use the delta if necessary.

Quote:
If I was to make an assumption on why Carlo used a lot of time on some moves I would say that he was more likely to spend more time when Leela's suggestions did differ from his own instincts and in positions when he suspected that Leela might be wrong. As a regular user of Leela he must know for sure where Leela's weaknesses are so he should spend more time when such situation occurs.

In that case, we should expect that some of the deltas actually indicate that Carlo's choice is better than Leela 11's.

Let's take a look at Carlo's invasion, :b33:, for instance.

Bill Spight wrote:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bcm33 Invasion
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 3 . . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 2 X X X O . . O . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . 4 O O X O . O . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . O X X . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . X . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X X X O . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . X O O . O . . . . . . O . . X . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

Black invaded after 2 min. 13 sec., almost 14 times his average.

In the rsgf file published by Bojanic, Leela's first choice is as follows.

[go]$$Bcm33 Leela
$$ | . . . . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X O . . O . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . O O X O . O . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 3 . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O O 1 O . . . . . . O . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

After the kikashi, :b33: - :w34:, :b35: plays the eye stealing tesuji in the top left corner.

Ales Cieply's Leela also chose F-03.

It estimated a loss of 2.6%.

Edit: The new run also picked :b33: - :w34:, :b35:, with 265259 playouts. Carlo's play was not in the running, with only 1106 playouts.
After the invasion Leela chose the continuation in the actual game, :w34: - :b35: :w36:, with 293561 playouts, for an estimated loss of 4.1%, a rather larger number than the first estimate.

For one thing, Leela's choice seems to be quite consistent; even Bojanic's Leela found it. It's delta for Carlo's play was 5%. Even if Carlo thought that Leela's judgement was inferior to his, surely he would have noted what Leela thought, and also that that invasion was off Leela's radar. If he held Leela's evaluation in such disdain, why was he using it to cheat?

I have no personal experience with Leela or other bots, but why would Leela's judgement be bad in this kind of position? Yes, the left side to center seems to be the most urgent part of the board, but there are a number of possibilities there. Yes, there are tactical questions, but strategy is a very important consideration for this position, and strategy is where current top bots excel. Sure, simply because of the number of possibilities, Leela may be unlikely to choose the best play, but that is true for humans, as well. Anyway, the question of invasions and reductions comes up frequently at this stage of the game. Do we really think that good amateurs are better than top bots in these positions?

Lastly, Carlo took more than 2 min. for this play, a long time for him. If he was so confident in his own judgement for this position, why take so long? Wouldn't one minute have been enough?

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #70 Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:52 pm 
Honinbo

AlesCieply wrote:
I have asked Lukas Podpera (ID lukan here), one of the top European players, to give his "expert view" on the moves in the discussed game that he finds suspicious. I am translating the comments he attached (in Czech) to the game record:
:b29: this move is not played much nowadays as alpha-go joseki prefers a different one

Apparently not Leela's choice. delta = 1%. (All deltas taken from your latest and best run.)

Quote:
:b33: the same here, unforced move

Off Leela's radar. delta = 4.1%

Quote:
:b41: most strong player would just play c2, looks like a bot-play

Yes, it does look like a bot move. Mine, too. C-02 is not on Leela's radar, nor mine. :-|

Quote:
:b59: important for a shape, not sure whether 4d player would see it

Carlo took 12 sec. Probably obvious to him, as you say. :)

Quote:
:b75: strong line of play

14 sec.

Quote:
:b87: exquisite timing, not many strong amateur players would choose the right time to play this sequence

Carlo took 11 sec. This seems to me to be implied in :b85:. Not only by flow of the stones, but because Black seems to be ahead, and the bottom right group is his weakest. Isn't it urgent to settle the bottom right corner?

Quote:
:b111: strong move

Carlo took 15 sec. delta = 2.7%

Quote:
:b121: nice complex move, I do not believe any 4d would play it, most players would just block and defend the territory at the top

I would have defended the territory. :) Carlo took 49 sec. delta = 1.75%

Quote:
:b139: black is not concerned at all about the loss of territory at the top and ends the game with a sharp combination that I myself would have difficulty to find and play out so accurately

Carlo took 19 sec.

Quote:
:b153: game finished, no 4d would wrap up the game so calmly and professionally

Carlo took 11 sec. B153 has been lurking for a while.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #71 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:19 am 
Dies in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
My preference would have been to use a different bot, such as Elf, to estimate the chunks by Carlo. But you're the one who has made the most thorough analysis, and you used Leela 11.

Just give me a bit more time, the results of the analysis with Leela Zero (ELF weights) are already in the pipeline ... :)

Bill Spight wrote:
AlesCieply wrote:
In fact, in the Italian appeal they say that they got a better agreement between Carlo's moves and those suggested by Leela (top 3 choices) when they were running Leela on lower numbers of nodes. This indicates that the winrate estimates found at high number of playouts are not indicative for Carlo's moves.

I don't follow you. The assumption I a making is that Leela 11, although flawed, is able compare moves reasonably well, especially with many playouts. My preference would be to use estimates at the same depth of the tree, because of potential horizon effects, but I'll use the delta if necessary.

The moves and winrates found at 300k+ nodes might be different from those seen by Carlo when he made his move. Concerning the winrates, even at 300k+ nodes it is not rare that the winrate evaluation is off by more than 1%, though they are still determined more precisely than the top suggestions where there can be several options with a similar winrates. Carlo could have played Leela top suggestion even after some additional pondering and the played move winrate could easily drop by 2-3% when evaluated at 300k+ nodes.

Bill Spight wrote:
AlesCieply wrote:
If I was to make an assumption on why Carlo used a lot of time on some moves I would say that he was more likely to spend more time when Leela's suggestions did differ from his own instincts and in positions when he suspected that Leela might be wrong. As a regular user of Leela he must know for sure where Leela's weaknesses are so he should spend more time when such situation occurs.

In that case, we should expect that some of the deltas actually indicate that Carlo's choice is better than Leela 11's.

I think so too. The question is how often it happens. Can we see it in a limited number of positions taken from one game. And can Leela realize the played move is better as soon as it is played. At the end of the Kim-Metta regular game played at WAGC we see Leela remaining blind for a whole sequence of moves played. I think the long time taken on :b37: (your position 3) is telling. I am a mere 1d player but I believe even much stronger amateur players would just play as Carlo did (making life in a corner) but without thinking on it too much (I would not think at all on it). What caused Carlo to ponder that long. Was it not Leela persisting that there was a better move. This is a clean example in accordance with my (and Bojanic's) hypothesis that he would think longer in positions where he suspects Leela to misjudge L&D. Well, he could have just went to a toilet, accept a brief telephone call or whatever else ...

Post #72 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 am 
Honinbo

AlesCieply wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
My preference would have been to use a different bot, such as Elf, to estimate the chunks by Carlo. But you're the one who has made the most thorough analysis, and you used Leela 11.

Just give me a bit more time, the results of the analysis with Leela Zero (ELF weights) are already in the pipeline ... :)

Great! :D

Quote:
Bill Spight wrote:
AlesCieply wrote:

The moves and winrates found at 300k+ nodes might be different from those seen by Carlo when he made his move. Concerning the winrates, even at 300k+ nodes it is not rare that the winrate evaluation is off by more than 1%, though they are still determined more precisely than the top suggestions where there can be several options with a similar winrates. Carlo could have played Leela top suggestion even after some additional pondering and the played move winrate could easily drop by 2-3% when evaluated at 300k+ nodes.

I gather that when you say, "This indicates that the winrate estimates found at high number of playouts are not indicative for Carlo's moves," you mean that the winrates for Carlo's moves that he would have seen if he were cheating are not the winrates for those moves after running Leela for at least 300k playouts. (Although after almost 4 min., quien sabe? ;))

True, but here I am using Leela to estimate the degree of error. If Carlo picked Leela's top choice after running it for about one minute, and the winrate dropped enough with more playouts, so that its estimated error is more than 2%, it's still considered an error.

Quote:
Bill Spight wrote:
AlesCieply wrote:

I think so too. The question is how often it happens. Can we see it in a limited number of positions taken from one game. And can Leela realize the played move is better as soon as it is played.

A few times in this game Leela considered Carlo's play to be better than its top choice, but not by much.

Quote:
I think the long time taken on :b37: (your position 3) is telling. I am a mere 1d player but I believe even much stronger amateur players would just play as Carlo did (making life in a corner) but without thinking on it too much (I would not think at all on it). What caused Carlo to ponder that long. Was it not Leela persisting that there was a better move. This is a clean example in accordance with my (and Bojanic's) hypothesis that he would think longer in positions where he suspects Leela to misjudge L&D. Well, he could have just went to a toilet, accept a brief telephone call or whatever else ...

OC, we do not know why a player might take a long time on a move, but my working hypothesis is that his or her play is generally worse after taking a long time, because the position is subjectively difficult for that player. And, indeed, in this game when Carlo took 49 sec. or longer to make a play, his error rate tripled, according to Leela in your earlier analysis. (I did not check that again, with your latest analysis.)

Now, I am willing to entertain Bojanic's idea that Carlo simply ignored Leela for :b37:, because Leela is relatively weak at L&D. But if Carlo was watching Leela's calculations, he would have noticed two things that remained fairly constant throughout. First, Leela understands that White to play in the top left corner can hold Black to one eye. Second, despite that fact, Leela prefers the eye stealing tesuji for Black in that corner (after playing kikashi in the bottom left corner or not). Leela may be looking at a possible seki in the corner, or maybe at a sacrifice. Also, the invasion at :b33: aims at the eye stealing tesuji, especially since it would also be a two space extension from :b33:. (Carlo was lucky that :w38: prevented that extension cum eye stealing tesuji, defending his group on a small scale instead of attacking :b33: on a large scale.) Surely the eye stealing tesuji was on Carlo's mind. He did not need Leela to suggest it to him.

If Carlo was using Leela to cheat at :b37:, why didn't he follow its suggestion? It is possible that Leela preferred Carlo's play at the time he made it, but just barely. Every analysis I have seen of this game regards it as an error, and, except for this last one, a significant error. Bojanic's Leela rates it as losing 7%. :shock: Leela's eye stealing tesuji is more than a suggestion.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #73 Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:44 am 
Dies in gote

Bill, attached find two files generated by the GRP for the analysis of the discussed game, the analysis done with Leela Zero, ELF weights. One of the files is all moves, 100k playouts, the other is moves 30-181, 200k playouts.

Some comments:
The analysis was done by someone else, I cannot run it effectively enough on my laptop. Apparently, Leela Zero treats the playouts limit differently than Leela 0.11 as I see much lower number of playouts (below and around 10k) than the preset values. I guess there is a distinction between number of playouts and number of nodes, maybe the preset limit is applied to the nodes analyzed. I am also quite bothered by the precision of the winrate estimates. Those provided by Leela Zero are much less precise than those by Leela 0.11. Just looking at and comparing the numbers provided when the top suggestion was played (where the winrate before and after the move was played should be approximately the same) I am estimating the precision to be on a level of about 3%, in contrast to about 1% I would give to Leela 0.11. Sure, the winrates look more "accurate" in your terminology. :) I am not sure what this will do with my kind of analysis which (in a way) relies on sufficiently precise winrates. I guess the mistake histograms will be smeared by the "noise".

Attachments:
File comment: GRP analysis with Leela Zero, ELF weights
MettaBenDavid_LZ-ELF.zip [82.54 KiB]
Downloaded 416 times

Post #74 Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:37 am 
Honinbo

AlesCieply wrote:
Bill, attached find two files generated by the GRP for the analysis of the discussed game, the analysis done with Leela Zero, ELF weights. One of the files is all moves, 100k playouts, the other is moves 30-181, 200k playouts.

Many thanks. :D

Quote:
Some comments:
The analysis was done by someone else, I cannot run it effectively enough on my laptop. Apparently, Leela Zero treats the playouts limit differently than Leela 0.11 as I see much lower number of playouts (below and around 10k) than the preset values. I guess there is a distinction between number of playouts and number of nodes, maybe the preset limit is applied to the nodes analyzed.

I certainly don't know. Uberdude?

Quote:
I am also quite bothered by the precision of the winrate estimates. Those provided by Leela Zero are much less precise than those by Leela 0.11. Just looking at and comparing the numbers provided when the top suggestion was played (where the winrate before and after the move was played should be approximately the same) I am estimating the precision to be on a level of about 3%, in contrast to about 1% I would give to Leela 0.11. Sure, the winrates look more "accurate" in your terminology. :)

No, more precise in my terminology. The accuracy is unknown, but we cannot expect greater accuracy than precision (for any given bot). :( Leela Zero is stronger than Leela 11, perhaps with less precision.

Quote:
I am not sure what this will do with my kind of analysis which (in a way) relies on sufficiently precise winrates. I guess the mistake histograms will be smeared by the "noise".

Yeah. As I have said, the bots are trained for play, not analysis. :sad:

Edit: But looking at the size of the deltas, that level of precision seems to be good enough to identify probable mistakes.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #75 Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:25 pm 
Honinbo

I have updated the positions in the game according to the new Leela Elf results. :) See viewtopic.php?p=233833#p233833 and the next note.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #76 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:25 am 
Honinbo

Thanks to the Leela Elf results I am planning to do a review of this game. OC, there will be things that are above my head, but I believe that I can explain a good bit about Elf's choices. :)

One thing that struck me was the high number of matches with Leela Elf's top choices. Carlo Metta made 83 plays, 36 of which matched Elf's top choice, or 43%. Reem Ben David made 82 plays, 44 of which matched Elf's top choice, or 54%. Based upon matching, we might think that it was Ben David who cheated. :shock: This simply underscores the inappropriateness of matching for proving cheating, plausible as that idea may seem. I think that the main thing that it shows is that many plays will be obvious or easy at the players' level of play. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #77 Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:35 am 
Honinbo

[go]$$Bc Reem Ben David (W) - Carlo Metta
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , 7 9 . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . 4 8 a 0 . . . . . . . . . 3 . . |

Metta likes the 3-3. :b7: - :w10: are all Leela Elf's top choices. (With the 100k setting.) AlphaGo likes an early :b7:. :) :b7: and :b9: force White low and support :b5:, preventing a severe attack.

When I started studying games from a few hundred years ago, I was struck at how, in an era of territorial play, players could be content with thickness without apparently doing much with it. :b5:, :b7: and :b9: aren't particularly thick, but they are strong enough. :)

Ben David thought a long time before playing :w10:, 1 min. 53 sec. Although he might have been thinking about playing at "a" to take sente, my guess is that he was thinking about the fuseki as a whole. That's not a bad idea, but I don't think that my working hypothesis that players are more likely to make a mistake, or a bad mistake, after thinking a long time applies to Ben David. ;)

[go]$$Bcm11 A loss of 9% in the winrate
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . , X X . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 1 O O . O . . . . . . . . . X . . |

I am on record as saying that :b11: is neither necessary nor desirable, despite being joseki. Leela 11 likes :b11:, but Leela Elf agrees with me. :) :b11: was not even on Elf's radar. Carlo played :b11: after only 14 sec.

[go]$$Bcm11 Main line, even game
$$ | . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , X X . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . O O . O . . . . . . . . . X . . |

This is Elf's main line, which it thinks leads to an even game. :b13: may provide balance to the 3-3 pts. on the right. Interesting that Elf did not prefer the AlphaGo 3-3 invasion. Also perhaps because of the dual 3-3s on the right.

[go]$$Bcm11 Giving back, and then some
$$ | . . . , X X 2 . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 1 O O . O . . . . . . . . . X . . |

Ben David thought for 48 sec. before replying with :w12:. Despite being joseki, Elf thinks that it loses 14%.

[go]$$Bcm11 Main line, White 59% winrate
$$ | . a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 6 X 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 4 2 X X . . . , . . . 0 . , . . . |
$$ | . . X O O 5 O . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . 8 7 . 9 . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Students of AlphaGo will immediately be drawn to :w12: and :w14:. Black chooses :b19: instead of "a". Then :w20: takes advantage of the 3-3, avoiding a severe pincer.

[go]$$Bcm11 Giving back, and then some
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 . . |
$$ | . . . 3 X X 2 . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 1 O O . O . . . . . . 4 . . X . . |
$$ | . . a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

:b13: is Elf's top choice. Then :w14: (56 sec.) loses 5.6%. (Elf likes "a".) Next, :b15: (7 sec.) loses 7%. It certainly looks too low.

[go]$$Bcm11 Main line
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 . . . |
$$ | . . . 3 X X 2 . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 1 O O 5 O . . . . . . 4 . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Elf suggests :b15: to weaken White's corner, then the usual :b17: response.

More to come. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #78 Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:44 am 
Honinbo

[go]$$Bcm11 Questionable
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 . . X . . |

Elf finds :w16: (49 sec.) questionable, to say the least. It thinks that it loses 11.5% winrate. It is not a play that would occur to many people, I think. Elf's top choice conveys an important lesson, IMO.

[go]$$Bcm11 Triple purpose play
$$ | . . W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . 6 . . . . . . . . . X . . |

Elf likes :w16:. Besides being joseki, it is a triple purpose play. It bolsters the White corner, it starts to form a moyo on the bottom side, and it calls out to :wc: on the left side. This remains a good play for White for some time.

[go]$$Bcm17 3-3 invasion joseki
$$ | . . . . . 5 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 1 3 7 4 . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . 2 O 9 8 . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . 0 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

After :w16: we get one of the modern 3-3 invasion joseki.

[go]$$Bcm27 Joseki deviation
$$ | . . . . 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . B O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X O . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . O O X O . 4 . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . a O 1 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Carlo took 1 min. 13 sec. for :b27:, indicating that it was a difficult position for him, but he picked Leela Elf's top choice. :b29: (20 sec.) appears to have been a joseki deviation, but Elf thinks that it lost only 3.7%. Reem took 8 min. 23 sec. ( :o ) for :w30:. Not a terribly difficult choice, in my view, versus the atari, but the future is murky. (Maybe he went to the bathroom, too.) :w30: is also Elf's top choice. :) Elf thinks that :b31: (34 sec.) lost 10.8%. I think that there is a good lesson, there. (Note: We are now using Elf with the 200k setting.)

:b31: is defensive. Besides, if White captures the :bc: stone, then :w30: will become inefficient. But mainly White has a weakness at "a" that Black can exploit.

[go]$$Bcm31 Main line, Black lives in sente
$$ | . . . . . . 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . B O 5 8 . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 3 X X X O 9 6 . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . 1 O O X O 0 O . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . 2 . . O X X . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 4 . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . a . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |

In Elf's main variation Black starts with the sente at :b31:, then plays the clamp tesuji at :b35:. (If :w36: ataris :bc:, Black ataris back.) White chooses to block with :w38:, and Black lives in sente. Next, :b41: will reduce at "a". :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #79 Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 am 
Honinbo

[go]$$Bcm27 Ugly
$$ | . . . . 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X O . . 6 . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . O O X O . 4 . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . O 1 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

:w32: (1 min. 5 sec.) protects against the push and cut, but it sure looks ugly, doesn't it? Elf thinks that it loses 13.6% winrate. (What was Ben David thinking about for almost 8½ minutes on :w30: ?)

Elf's choice is a beautiful move. :) But once you see it, it's obvious. I'll hide it so that you can try to find it, if you wish.

[go]$$Wcm32 Beautiful play!
$$ | . . X X X O . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . O B B . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . |

:w32: not only threatens the :bc: stones, it works well with the :wc: stone. Elf estimates White's winrate at 56%.

[go]$$Wcm32 No push and cut
$$ | . . . . . X O 5 . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X O 3 4 6 . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . O O X O 2 O . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . O B B 7 . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Elf does not give this variation, it is mine. :w38: may not be necessary, but it captures the :bc: stones.

[go]$$Wcm32 Invasion
$$ | . . X X X O . . 1 . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Carlo invaded with :b33: (2 min. 13 sec.). Elf thinks that it loses 5.5%.

[go]$$Wcm32 Reduction
$$ | . . . . . X O 2 . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X O . . 1 . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . O O X O 3 O . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . 4 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |

Elf recommends this reduction. The strategic question of whether to invade or reduce is one at which today's top bots excel.

[go]$$Bcm33 Simple life
$$ | 5 3 . . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 2 X X X O . . O . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . a . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

:b37: made the seemingly obvious play to live in the corner. But Carlo spent 3 min. 56 sec. on it. Neither Leela 11 nor Leela Zero like it, and Elf thinks that it loses 8.2%. "a" is a key point. And Leela envisions a possible sacrifice of the Black corner.

[go]$$Bcm33 Kikashi before living
$$ | 7 3 . . . X O 5 . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 2 X X X O 6 . O . . . . . . . X . . |

Elf finds the clamp tesuji, a kikashi before living. :)

Elf has a number of good lessons for us in this game.

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Uberdude