It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Impossible to live?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
I saw a Dwyrin video where he reviewed a game played by Legend88, a professional playing on Tygem, against an amateur.
What was interesting was how he reacted to an invasion in his sphere of influence.

When black played 1, white (Legend88) played 2. I understand this move, it fixes the cut and it makes life harder to make for black, taking away base space.
Black plays 3, white plays 4. I can see why, it removes any possibility of black running towards friends or other things, while connecting to the O3 stone is impossible.
Black plays 5 and white is like: don't matter, I'm playing 6.

Dwyrin comments that black can't live here.
Now for me that's very hard to see. I'd think black can make 2 eyes here. I am especially looking at points A, B or C to enlarge eye space and try to live as black.
Could someone stronger show me some variations why it'd be impossible for black to live here? For example, how does white react to A, or C, or B? (black probably starting with B as this threatens connection and will be sente)

Post subject: Re: Impossible to live?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 16
KGS: 2D
Tygem: 6D
As a tygem 7D I'm fairly certain the bottom black group can live. But I'd be more worried about the B group on the left.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:02 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
I saw a Dwyrin video where he reviewed a game played by Legend88, a professional playing on Tygem, against an amateur.
What was interesting was how he reacted to an invasion in his sphere of influence.

When black played 1, white (Legend88) played 2. I understand this move, it fixes the cut and it makes life harder to make for black, taking away base space.
Black plays 3, white plays 4. I can see why, it removes any possibility of black running towards friends or other things, while connecting to the O3 stone is impossible.
Black plays 5 and white is like: don't matter, I'm playing 6.

Dwyrin comments that black can't live here.
Now for me that's very hard to see.

It may not actually be true. :)

For instance, look at :b1: - :b3: starting from the above position. Black makes an eye at L-02 and threatens to make another, either on the side or in the center. Maybe White can prevent that, maybe not. I feel sure Dwyrin saw this.

But look at the continuation. White kills the corner. I feel sure Dwyrin saw that, too. :)

I can't be sure, but maybe Dwyrin judged that Black could not afford to let White kill the corner, and so would not play :b1: - :b3:. Also, in the above position Black's two stones on the left side are in danger. (Edit: As MMaestro points out.) If Black lives on the left side White will be stronger in the center, and that will make it harder for Black to make an eye there.

So maybe Dwyrin's is not making a logical statement, but a practical one. Maybe it is more like, "Black can't live here without losing the game."

OC, I could be wrong. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Okay good. I thought I was crazy thinking black couldn't make 2 eyes there. The question whether it's smart, was irrelevant to my original question, but it clears up a lot :) thanks!