It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuseki Schmuseki #1
Post #41 Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:51 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I have graded almost all games down now. Except for game 3, I do not think that any of these players are stronger than me.

1: 1 dan
2: 5 kyu
3: (9 dan)
4: 2 kyu
5: 1 dan
6: 12 kyu
7: 5 kyu
8: 2 kyu

Post #42 Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:27 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
I'm posting the results on Sunday night, and I'll take whatever guesses I have then from everyone - so if you want to get in there, that's the deadline :)

For ranges given, I will take the average (so 1d+ means 5d, and 12k-10k = 11k). If the average is a half grade, I'll round down to the weaker rank. Any boards that haven't got a guess against them will be scored as 0/10.

Post #43 Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
For reference, my guesses from the first round:
1. 2 dan. The diagonal fuseki makes this look a little odd, and jumping right into the corner at 9 seems a little early to me, though it IS a large knight's response. I'm pretty sure black can safely tenuki from the lower right, though I imagine he'd still like sente to come back. All in all, nothing too off-base here.

2. 16 kyu. (Watch, this will turn out to be a pro game). From my unscientific observation, I don't see DDks open with 3-3 often--usually I see it from people who are experimenting. But, 7 is weird. I don't see black getting securable influence out of it. Also, I would think a 12kyuish player would habitually enclose the 3-4 before approaching (though this isn't saying the approach is wrong).

3. 5 dan. Why, you ask? White 6 is obviously weird but, for some reason, White 8 and 10 seem to reflect an deep experimental strategy. I haven't read it out, obviously, but I'm going with my gut on this. So, 5 dan it is.

4. 4 kyu. Again, a bit of an odd fuseki, but it has some principled basis, I think. White's approach seems reasonable on some level, but the upper left might become urgent afterwards.

5. 3 dan. I couldn't decide between 12 kyu and 3 dan. . Through these moves, black shows an enormous moyo strategy. Black 5 and White 6 are odd, but not unplayable. Black 7 is what tells me "12 kyu," and the non-pincer at 9 might tell me the same. Low confidence about this one.

6. 16 kyu. Black 5 is weird, but whatever. White 6, though... I just can't imagine the reasoning for this, and the moves through 10 seem to fight over 7 points in the opening.

7. 5 kyu. I think I understand the thought behind black 9 -- Black doesn't want to be one-space-low-pincered with the small knight's move approach, so black chooses this one-perhaps thinking white might defend the corner. But, I dunno.

8. 5 dan. Why? because it seems intentionally random, as if there is an express or implied agreement not to play fuseki/joseki moves. At the same time, both players are in playable positions.

Second round:

1. Same (2 dan). The continuation doesn't really change anything for me.

2. Same. (16kyu) I don't have any additional comments. Nothing is dying yet, but this still looks goofy.

3. Same (5d), but I could revise to pro. I doubt I could tell the difference between an amateur 5dan and a pro anyway. (I'm not saying there aren't differences, of course there is a HUGE difference, but it is nearly imperceptible at my level).

4. Same (4 kyu).

5. Same I guess (3 dan). I'm still conflicted about this one, but definitely not a DDK.

6. Same (16 kyu). I would base this on 6-14 alone.

7. Same (5 kyu). I don't think any stronger. Now that I look at it, I think black 7 is a mistake; not an aweful move, but I think Q14 is better for getting some territory on the left side in this situation (assuming that is what black is trying to do). If there was already a white stone around R 9, I'd think differently.

8. Same (5 dan). Funky game, but I think both of these players are stronger than me. Of course, even an SDK could play out these moves so far, but I still think 5 dan.

And final:

No additional comments; not changing my answers :)

Post #44 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:05 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Aaaand, the final results!!

I've removed everyone who guessed under 4 of the games, and averaged any remaining ranges:

Code:
Player       (rank)   game 1   game 2   game 3   game 4   game 5   game 6   game 7   game 8   score
Fredrik      5d       3d       7k       9d/pro   5d       9d/pro   20k      9k       6d       68
Koosh        1d       1d       11k      9d/pro   4d       9d/pro   18k      11k      6d       60
daniel_ts    1d       3d       5k       9d/pro   3k       2d       18k      2k       3d       60
PYves        4d       1d       2k       9d/pro   3k       4d       20k      1k       6d       55
Chew Terr    4k       3d       5k       9d/pro   6k       8k       20k      13k      2d       53
Harleqin     2d       1d       5k       9d/pro   2k       1d       12k      5k       2k       52
judicata     7k       2d       16k      5d       4k       3d       16k      5k       5d       48
Araban       4d       3d       12k      8d       6k       6k       12k      6k       2k       46
dfan         4k       3d       10k      12k      4d       2k       15k      5k       3d       47
tj86430      7k       1d       9k       6k       2k       3d       7k       4k       5d       43
Gresil       6k       10k+     15k      5d       10k      5d       20k      3k       3d       42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actual                5d       7k/8k    pro      1d       pro      21k/19k  6k       3d/2d

Game 1: cugel20k 5d vs yz221 5d
Game 2: josehugo 7k vs deym 8k
Game 3: Chang Hao 9p vs Wang Lei 6p
Game 4: charley 1d vs lookfar 1d
Game 5: Hu Yaoyu 8p vs Li Zhe 6p
Game 6: Numero8 21k vs izum1 19k
Game 7: sumomo 6k vs sangsu 6k
Game 8: horstmaria 3d vs Cris007 2d

Really interesting to see the views of game 5, and generally interesting to see how accurate some people were. So, any surprises for those reading? Any comments? Would people like game links?

Post #45 Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: pyv
Confirms that I have a hard time distinguishing between the fuseki of 1kyu to 6 kyu.

I find a lot of the difference between strong kyu players is strength in reading, which usually trumps fuseki judgement for say a 3-4 kyu. I've been reviewing games of several players around 2kyu and there are a lot of mistakes in the fuseki, maybe It biased me towards that.

the other answers are pretty much what I expected.

Post #46 Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
An idea for those with huge databases : the same exercise, but only with pro games, from several periods. Let's see if we can guess how old some fuseki are :rambo:

This post by lorill was liked by: topazg

Post #47 Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
Wow, I seem to have gotten better about this sort of thing. Interesting!

Post #48 Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:18 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 30
Was liked: 3
KGS: markjgc, zombieboy
Interesting exercise! I thought that with just 10 moves, it would be really hard, because the same funky-looking move could equally be the move of a clueless beginner and a top pro. I thought that the next 20 moves explained and clarified a lot, but interestingly, my guesses after the first 10 were more accurate than the guesses after seeing the first 30 moves!

I only could guess in very broad ranges, because rank is a measure of score regardless of technique, so 2 people with the same rank can have very different skill sets. Plus, I haven't seen enough games so that I could definitively say what the difference between, say, a 5k game and a 10k game is.

I was sure that game 5 was between top pros, though. Amateurs don't randomly use Go Seigen moves like that. :P And even at 10 moves, it looked like they both knew how to use it. Black uses something like a high mini-Chinese, and it looked like confident play. But after seeing 30 moves, I was going to guess that the two-point high attachment was just an amateur fluke, since it looked like there were reading problems in the lower right: an atari that can't capture, a hazama tobi that's cut immediately-- so I was going to guess a mid-kyu.

I was going to guess game 8 was a Yoda Norimoto game-- I know I saw him open a game in a similar way before. Black follows up a peculiar opening with beautiful use of joseki on the left side, ending in sente that lets him play on the right side too. So even if not Yoda Norimoto per se, I was sure that it would be a pro game.

I was also going to guess game 3 was a pro game, for the same reason as game 5: White uses a Go Seigen signature move, and uses it well. I thought Black's shape was a bit odd after 30 moves, but it still looked like he knew what he was doing.

Game 1 is the most surprising. After 10 moves, it could equally be a pro game or rank amateur game. But after the invasion joseki, I thought that there was no way it could be higher than mid-kyu. Why didn't White descend and cut off Black? If Black then tries to cut, White can capture that stone in a ladder, right?

Game 6 looked very weak, even after 10 moves. Black 9 just doesn't look like a good response to White 8, because White can cut it so easily. So he'll have to defend, and end up with a cramped shape. Later, Black makes a similarly loose move on the top, and White just captures it. I was going to guess that this was between low kyu players, or perhaps a low kyu with a mid-kyu.