It is currently Mon May 16, 2022 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Endgame: How to Divide by 2, 4, 8?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:05 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 756
Some people have claimed that a local gote endgame could be evaluated by developing the settled followers. For the count of each follower reached after 1, 2, 3... plays, divide by 2, 4, 8... Except for the fun with large fractions, this sounds convincing until you try to actually do it...

Let me simplify by assuming that each follower is a local gote (none of the followers is a local sente, ko or something else). Hint: settled positions can contain black and white territories. We might use Black's value perspective, but maybe you want to suggest to sometimes use White's.

What is the resulting general method and correct calculation of the initial local gote endgame's move value and count? You have already made all those aforementioned divisions. Now, how to add or subtract the values to derive move value and count?

In my endgame theory, I have avoided such by proceding step by step, one division by 2 after another (or any other operation for other types of local endgames and their followers), determination of one count after another.

However, I would like to know: is division by 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128... just a nightmare myth or a well worked out alternative method for people preferring divisions by large numbers?

Post subject: Re: Endgame: How to Divide by 2, 4, 8?
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:31 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 756
Since nobody can defend or explain such a method, it must have been a myth. Divisions by 16 have been fear mongering.