It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which are the worst mistakes?
Post #21 Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
And to put the thread back on track:

1. There are many mistakes that beginner and intermediate players make in Go, but some of the most common and serious ones include:

2. Focusing too much on capturing stones instead of building territory: Many beginners fall into the trap of trying to capture their opponent's stones at all costs, without realizing that building territory on the board is actually the key to winning the game.

3. Playing moves that are too small or passive: Another common mistake is playing moves that are too small or passive, which allow the opponent to seize the initiative and control the game. Beginners often struggle with finding the right balance between building their own territory and attacking their opponent's positions.

4. Ignoring the importance of shape: Shape is a fundamental concept in Go, and ignoring it can lead to serious mistakes. Players who fail to pay attention to the shape of their stones and their opponent's stones may find themselves in weak positions or vulnerable to attack.

5. Neglecting the endgame: The endgame is a critical phase of the game that many players neglect or don't fully understand. Failing to play the right moves in the endgame can cost a player valuable points and even lead to a loss.

6. Overconfidence or lack of focus: Finally, many players make mistakes due to overconfidence or a lack of focus. It's important to stay calm and focused throughout the game, and to avoid getting distracted or complacent, even when the outcome seems certain.

Post #22 Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:41 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
chatGPT conveys information collected elsewhere as truth, writes reasonable language, mixes contents without understanding, might deceive a layman on a topic and in particular has merged 8 books into 1 fictional book.

Post #23 Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I looked into my most recent game, where I OGS 1d won by 3,5 against a 2d, even game with komi.
I analyzed it using AI Sensei and listed all the "blunders" (>10 points), "mistakes" (4-10) and "inaccuracies" (1-4) by both. Let's call all of them "errors".
Then I categorized those whether they are mistakes in decision or in execution. The distinction is not straightforward.

Clear decision error = playing into a situation while one should play elsewhere
Clear execution error = playing a local move while it should have been another one
Grey zone = when the same "situation" is affected by remote areas, such as defending a big group in the wrong place, or playing a bad ko threat.

Given that disclaimer, here are some figures

1. on 200 moves (I didn't analyze the very late endgame) we made 74 errors, which means 126 good moves (63%)
2. of those errors, 61 were "inaccuracies", 12 "mistakes" and 1 "blunder"
3. We made 52 "bad decisions" and 22 "wrong executions"
4. Execution errors are a bit larger on average, mostly due to the extremes
5. I made more errors, i.e. bad decisions, but he made the bigger errors, i.e. really bad executions
6. the (early) endgame started around move 140; with the very late endgame included, about half of the errors are in the endgame

Some interpretations

1. the two major errors of his were about defending a group; the first moving into the center, which was my inflience rather than making eyeshape on the side; the second connecting from an atari into a heavy clumsy farmer's hat, rather than accepting a ko and treat it more lightly
2. most of my bad decisions were related to 2 groups that I didn't defend properly; 1 of them I spent too much effort in the center, while the bigger way to defend was on the side (so grey zone); the other was a defensive move that not only made visible endgame points but moreover avoided a "force to capture" later

The latter has led me to a new proverb "defend while making territory", borrowing from the established proverb "attack while making territory". The latter is probably there because attacking without purpose is more commonplace, still I find that I can improve by defending more often to start with and being conscious of maximizing territory while doing so (instead of, for example, connecting along neutral points).

Last edited by Knotwilg on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:
"defend while making territory",

Not meaning to take away from your splendid insight, but rather to point you and others to a way to expand on it, this is essentially what is covered by the old Chinese term shou 收 and is also encapsulated in the Japanese kakoi, which (if memory serves) is well covered in the Fujisawa tesuji book. There are other related concepts. One useful way to look at the whole is to say that it is about turning void areas into territory. Westerners tend to focus just on obvious territories and disregard void areas, but in the oriental yin-yangy mindset they go together, and that point is sometimes highlighted in their commentaries. As Lao Zi point out, empty spaces are VERY useful. There's gold in them thar hills!