It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fun method to sharpen my midgame skills
Post #1 Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
Hi everyone!

I've found a fun method to sharpen my skills, particularly in the challenging midgame phase. While I am able frome time to time to hold my own during openings and endgames against formidable human or AI opponents (with adequate handicap ;-) ), the midgame poses a significant challenge for me. I tend to lose about a point every move during this phase against strong players.

To address this, I've devised a new training routine. After each game, where I faced a strong opponent, I meticulously review the midgame. I analyze each minor loss or suboptimal move and try to encapsulate the essence of the mistake or the lesson learned in a single sentence. I hope this helps me to pinpoint exactly where and why I faltered.

Next comes the fun part! I use a large language model to evaluate my insights. While I'm totally not convinced about the effectiveness of this method in drastically improving my skills, I find it incredibly enjoyable and a unique way to engage with the game and AI.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has tried a similar approach or if you have other fun methods for tackling midgame weaknesses. It's always great to learn from fellow enthusiasts and perhaps add a new dimension to our training routines!

Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences!

Example result:

"Prioritize exploiting your opponent's vulnerabilities."
Rating: 9/10. Targeting weaknesses is a fundamental strategy in Baduk, allowing for effective control and influence over the board.

"Avoid over-defending peripheries without purpose."
Rating: 8/10. Over-defensive play can lead to missed opportunities.

"Evaluate the potential of crosscuts in complex engagements."
Rating: 8/10. The crosscut can create complex fights beneficial for skilled players.

"Lean towards capturing invasion stones over passive inward defense, but balance aggression with caution."
Rating: 7/10. While aggression can be advantageous, balance is key.

"Have confidence in your established connections and utilize them efficiently."
Rating: 9/10. Strong connections are a cornerstone of good play.

"Refrain from making inconsequential threats; each move should have purpose."
Rating: 8/10. Empty threats waste moves and can weaken your position.

"Avoid unnecessary defenses against cuts if your groups are resilient independently."
Rating: 8/10. Knowing when not to respond is as important as responding.

Have fun and take care.

Post subject: Re: fun method to sharpen my midgame skills
Post #2 Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Please explain how this works!

I have converted AI reviews into learning points myself, such as "avoid slow connections". But you seem to link the analysis itself to a language model ... How? How did these phrases come to life? What's the input? What's the machinery?

The ability to articulate AI reviews is the holy grail!

Post subject: Re: fun method to sharpen my midgame skills
Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:35 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
I've been reviewing and rephrasing my sentences independently (from AI) in the first place, but I find the process somewhat tedious, and I'm not completely satisfied with my English skills. So, for a bit of fun, I decided to let ChatGPT 4 assist in enhancing the style of my sentences. I thought it would be amusing to have it rate them as well, just for a chuckle.

I don't take ChatGPT's ratings too seriously; they're more for a bit of motivation. However, the improved sentence structures really aid in memorizing the content better.

I must say, ChatGPT does a surprisingly good job at evaluating my unrefined tips! :-)

Quote:
But you seem to link the analysis itself to a language model ... How? How did these phrases come to life? What's the input? What's the machinery?

When reviewing, I concentrate primarily on moves where the optimal choices weren't initially on my radar. I then exert considerable effort to discern the purpose behind these optimal moves, focusing on both the strategic positioning and the timing involved. Afterward, I refine my initial, somewhat unpolished thoughts with the help of AI to achieve clearer and more precise articulation. Kind of a borg effort ;-)