It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Methods for Equating Influence and Territory
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 793
John Fairbairn wrote:
I have two Japanese books devoted to the subject, and others which mention it in part.

This sounds great and it is so sad that such books are not available in English and not found easily in ordinary Japanese bookstores, AFA my small experience of trying to find and buy such books in Japan tells.

Quote:
I have talked about them before on the forums, so I'm not going to go into it again.

Now this again disappoints me because, from your earlier descriptions, I could not conclude that what was being done was close to equating influence and territory. It all sounded only like very rough symbolic approximations of the kind "A ponnuki is worth 30 points.".

Quote:
* But one book uses the technique of counting stones in a wall, giving tips for which stones to exclude, and it encompasses also walls that go round corners. From this you get a count that represents a territory equivalent, using a short equation.

Simply counting stones can be very useful for assessing efficiency or mobility. Equating territory requires more though. E.g., a Territory Efficiency is not a direct expression of territory. So, until I learn more, I am sceptical whether that book's technique is as imprecise and often wrong as the "Extend n+1 spaces from a wall n stones high." or is at least about as precise as the territory sum I form from 0-territory and 1-territory. Several years ago, I started from the proverb (because that was what I knew) and tried to make exceptions for aji in the wall but it merely became nasty without noteworthy extra use. For Joseki 1 Fundamentals, then I came up with the more useful principle for widths of standard extensions. Now I wonder whether the book you mention did present something general, often correct and still reasonably easily applicable.

My models of thickness in Joseki 2 Strategy do not have any problem with walls having useless stones or bending around corners because the models are independent of shape. Instead they depend on reading variations. Is your described book's method equally general and mighty?

Quote:
It uses specific phrases like "Black's thickness is worth 36 points."

It is easy to use such phrases but the crucial question is: Is the underlying theory good?

Quote:
As you say, it is very hard to re-invent the wheel. But not just because of the intellectual effort involved. It's usually hard to be original because someone, somewhere, has already found the wheel before you. And some pros have even added engines to theirs.

I need to be convinced. Was it wheels or rough immovable rocks?

Quote:
Although I'm not prepared to dig out the books again, I will mention one article, from Kido Vol. 38, No.9, August 1962, simply because it is within hand's reach of where I am sitting. It is called "The territory of thickness." It was by Sakauchi Junei.

I'm afraid even Robert Jasiek is not an original. Sakauchi was the Japanese Jasiek. He was an amateur 5-dan who wrote several papers on the mathematics of go, and indeed he is politely credited with "contributions" to miai theory (around 1955).

Now we are getting closer, I hope. - So was it he to have invented miai counting? For sure, that is a very useful concept. - How, from your memory, did he try to equate thickness and territory?

Quote:
But what this means specifically is not that he helped any pros to become stronger,

I don't buy that. Maybe quite some pros don't want to apply theory like miai counting. However, then it is their fault of not using Sakauchi's (contribution to) theory to become stronger. If indeed Sakauchi did invent (some) such things, then he is responsible also for some improvement of those pros learning from his ideas.

Quote:
just that he was apparently the first one to tease out the exact values of moves such as 4 and 11/16 and 6 and 3/32. Of course, pros - shock horror - still make do with "almost 5" and "a bit over 6". No doubt you'll claim they are making faulty "strategic" decisions, but I don't think they are losing any sleep over it. (This is reminiscent of a certain paper on ko dame, is it not?)

While, in practice and in view of too short thinking times, 4.5 might be good enough and 4 and 11/16 more precise than one can calculate as a player during one's game, rounding to "almost 5" is the player's fault and he should improve his endgame. Similarly his ko dame abilities.

Quote:
Sakauchi even sounds like Jasiek, with his love of definitions. His first sentence in the paper at hand is "Thickness is uncompleted territory." He likewise insists his way is "correct" (one heading is "Counting territory correctly").

Apparently he was correct!? Maybe except for yet another level of precision a la Conway's and Guy's infinitesemals.

Quote:
This paper too has number-fixated phrases like "The thickness formed by Black's five stones is worth 10 points". He says things like: [of the prospective territory of a two-stone formation] "The territory is 22 or 23 points. Each stone is therefore worth 11 or 12 points". He talks about an evaluation in which "a 4.5 point territory cancels out an opponent's 4.5 point territory." The six-page article is also peppered with diagrams that use crosses to delineate prospective territory just as in Robert's book, but it also uses triangles and slashes to add a layer of meaning (as in p-territory, q-territory....).

Sounds promising if he offered general principles for making such equations.

Quote:
So, Robert, please accept two things. (1) Your English is not as good as you think it is.

- I am well aware that my English is by far not as good as my German.
- People trying to correct my English have a tendency desire to replace precision of contents by fluency of ordinary style. This I cannot accept where I need to be precise. There precision takes priority over style.
- Proofreaders are saying that my English has improved up to a comment that it would be flawless. This I can't believe because I tend to be as critical as my average proofreader.
- Do you have general suggestions for improving my English other than demanding to lose precision?

Quote:
(2) You are not as original as you think you are. I'm sure these two points apply to most of us, but most of us prefer to shy at the coconut, not be the coconut :)

I supposed so because I could not believe that Asians would have discovered as little as is reported in English. Concerning topics related to thickness - territory comparisons, what of the following from Joseki 2 Strategy was discovered before?

- territory efficiency
- mobility difference
- unsettled group average with successive local plays by one player
- estimating the value of early corner moves by means of formations created by one player's successive local plays
- territory equals influence in case of an equal number of played black and white stones
- value of an extension facing empty space on the outside
- assessing excess influence stones by one player's successive local plays
- n-territory

Post subject: Re: Methods for Equating Influence and Territory
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:00 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
1. Has anyone ever sat down and looked at a representative sample of professional endgames looking for how often mathematical approaches would improve their play? I do not mean cases where the professionals make blunders, but where professional counting is imprecise enough to make a 1 point difference. It would still be interesting to know how often professional play deviates from mathematically correct play even where the values in question do not change the score by a point, but changing the final score by a point is obviously more important.

Such experiments would tell us a bit about how important these contributions are to go theory.

2. "Correct" is a tricky word in these contexts. There need be nothing incorrect about an estimate of "a bit more than six", it only lacks in precision. We should also distinguish between "factually incorrect" and "a bad method." Even a factually incorrect estimate may arise from the best method to use for reasons of time-pressure, diminishing returns for learning a new method, etc.

Post subject: Re: Methods for Equating Influence and Territory
Post #3 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:06 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 793
Interesting question. I do not think though that mathematically precise endgame can be done earlier than the very late endgame. before we need approximations for the mathematically touched calculations, which might assess a precise local value but cannot always fit the global collection of values together yet. With that restriction, your question is still very valid, of course.

Another question is about learning and teaching endgame below top pro level. There, AFA I have heard, the (basic) theory helps those using it. I think though that almost nobody uses infinitesemals... yet. The majority of endgame books I have seen were imprecise to wrong with the fractions. It is ok (for me) if they don't become more precise than 1/2 or 1/3 but they shouldn't just round everything to natural numbers or calculate +1/2 when -1/2 is correct.