It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joseki on your own
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:44 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
I thought this might provoke some interesting discussion in the wake of publication of Robert Jasiek's Vol. 2 Joseki book (which, I hope you recall, I have recommended).

The position at White 20 in the game below occured in a game between Sugiuchi Masao and Yamabe Toshiro (i.e. very high level) in 1959. White 20 was, according to Sakata Eio, a "candidate for a new joseki" (he had seen it before but regarded it still as new).

[sgf-full](;SZ[19]FF[3]
PW[Yamabe Toshiro]
WR[7d]
PB[Sugiuchi Masao]
BR[8d]
DT[Published 1959-06]
RE[?]
US[GoGoD95]
;B[pd];W[dc];B[pp];W[eq];B[cp];W[cm];B[do];W[gp];B[dq];W[ep];B[dr];W[kq]
;B[ce];W[dh];B[gd];W[de];B[dd];W[ed];B[cd];W[ee];
)[/sgf-full]

Now if you were to meet this and try to work out how to proceed, you would find very, very few database games, so not much help there. You will find a very brief mention in Ishida Joseki Dictionary but, from what I can see, what it says there is either contradicted both by Sakata and the few players who've used it (Ishida has "simple", they have "very difficult" with long lines) or irrelevant in that the lines mentioned do not appear in the known games. I'd say no significant help there, either.

In other words, we are more or less on our own. Or were - but we now have a blueprint from Robert as to how to proceed. How do we turn that blueprint into actual moves? Although it will be useful to see some suggested lines, my question here really goes beyond that (in any case, I don't believe anyone here can match Sakata), to sorting out the strategic thinking that precedes the choice(s) of play. I therefore do not propose to quote Sakata's many variations, but I will mention that he does relate this quadrant to the lower left and upper right. Also, he discusses briefly why White chose 20 instead of the usual hanging connection at E2. You may wish to do likewise, in which case the clue is in White 6 (White ends up with that stone overconcentrated).

If there is any interest, I will post the later moves later.

Ideally, a tutorial or even just a clue how to start from Robert would be nice, but I don't mean to put him on the spot. He may be too busy. If he is, and you are not familiar with his book yet, let me say that airy-fairy statements like "Black/White wants to develop nicely on the upper side" won't cut the mustard. Robert's method will (I think) lead you to more precise plans, such as "Black/White wants to develop in order to X, Y and Z by playing a stone on point A".

Post subject: Re: Joseki on your own
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:55 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 789
John Fairbairn wrote:
He may be too busy.

For creating diagrams, yes. Writing Vol. 3 and other things have greater priority at the moment. Maybe I can give a few hints of general decision making, when useful during discussion.