It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sente, gote and endgame plays
Post #101 Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:10 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Sorry. Maybe this is clearer.

Given

R = {2B | 0 || -A}
S = {2D | 0 || -C}

A, B, C, D non-negative.

In every non-ko environment, when is a play in R by Black at least as good as a play in S, assuming correct play by White?

Case 1) 2B > C + 2D

Case 2) C + 2D >= 2B >= 2D and
A >= C

Case 3) 2D > 2B and
A + 2B >= C + 2D and
A > 2D

----
In case 3

A > 2D > 2B so R is gote.

My edit about C > A was the result of momentary confusion. :oops: :( Sorry. I am deleting it.

In case 3

A > C.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #102 Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Case 1 is straightforward. Do you have proofs for cases 2 and 3, which also consider the arbitrary environment? Do you try to find all cases, think these are all and, if yes, what is the proof for case completeness?

Post #103 Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm 
Honinbo

Start with the 0 game,

{2B | 0 || -A} + {A || 0 | -2B} +
{2D | 0 || -C} + {C || 0 | -2D} +
E - E

A, B, C, D are non-negative numbers, E is any non-ko environment.

Let White play first in {C || 0 | -2D} and let Black reply in {2B | 0 || -A}. If Black wins or gets jigo, then her play is at least as good as White's.

After the first two plays we have this game:

{2B | 0} + {A || 0 | -2B} +
{2D | 0 || -C} + {0 | -2D} +
E - E

which equals this game:

{2B | 0} + {A || 0 | -2B} +
{2D | 0 || -C} + {0 | -2D}

The non-ko environment drops out.

White to play. With correct play, under what conditions does Black get at least jigo?

----

The conditions can be expressed differently. I made them mutually exclusive. Here is another way of expressing them, where they are not mutually exclusive.

Case 1) 2B > C + 2D

Case 2) A >= C and
2B >= 2D

Case 3) A >= C and
A + 2B >= C + 2D and
A > 2D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #104 Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 pm 
Judan

So the structure of a proof starts with playing the difference game, whose advantage is that the environment is part of the input but drops out quickly so case study is restricted to the two local endgames. The sketch of your proof needs to be worked out. I suppose you have done it in your mind and maybe I could do it in writing now that I see the proof structure but I suppose I lack time during the few days before the European Go Congress and during it.

Does the completeness of the cases pop out naturally during working out the proof? Anyway, interesting, thank you!

I also need to understand where your class of counter-examples fits into the picture of your implied new proposition.

Although the cases are interesting in theory, we might say that they are already slightly more complicated than players would want to apply in practice. Would you agree?

Post #105 Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:35 am 
Honinbo

RobertJasiek wrote:
So the structure of a proof starts with playing the difference game, whose advantage is that the environment is part of the input but drops out quickly so case study is restricted to the two local endgames. The sketch of your proof needs to be worked out. I suppose you have done it in your mind and maybe I could do it in writing now that I see the proof structure but I suppose I lack time during the few days before the European Go Congress and during it.

Does the completeness of the cases pop out naturally during working out the proof? Anyway, interesting, thank you!

I also need to understand where your class of counter-examples fits into the picture of your implied new proposition.

Although the cases are interesting in theory, we might say that they are already slightly more complicated than players would want to apply in practice. Would you agree?

Well, even with only four small games the game tree is fairly large. However, it can be pruned pretty drastically. The logical simplification of the tree is not always straightforward. I think that it is necessary to make the comparisons tractable, but the resulting simplifications are not always intuitive. This and that. {shrug} And I don't do all this in my head. I have many notebooks full of this stuff. ;)

I think that there is some value in making the cases mutually exclusive, but I am not sure. Doing so puts a bit of strain on memory.

One advantage is that you can show a kind of completeness of the cases. For instance:

Case 1) 2B > C + 2D

Case 2) C + 2D >= 2B >= 2D and
A >= C

Case 3) 2D > 2B and
A + 2B >= C + 2D and
A > 2D

The bolded conditions show that the full range of 2B in comparison with C + 2D and 2D is covered. :) But making the cases mutually exclusive in this way adds one condition to Case 2. {shrug}

As for application, Cases 1 and 2 are pretty obvious. Why case 3 works is not all that apparent. For one thing the condition, A > C, is not expressed, although it follows from the first two conditions. The second condition has a certain intuitive feel, but it may not be clear why it matters. Familiarity with the situation when White has the choice of plays will probably help. The third condition is not intuitive. It implies that {2B | 0 || -A} is a gote with a relatively small follow-up. So that is something. A fair amount of the time none of the cases will be satisfied, for either choice of plays, which means that the comparison has to be read out, which is what people tend to do anyway. ;) I suspect that in practice a lot of people would check cases 1 and 2 and skip case 3.

Edit: The condition, A > 2D, was what allowed me to come up with the counterexample. That condition requires R to be gote, and in the counterexample it is sente. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #106 Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Bill Spight wrote:
Let's suppose that you have a position where you can move to a local count of G with gote or S with sente

Hi, the discussion seems very interesting. Could you explain what are G and S, so that I can follow it from the beginning ?

Are you talking about the "swing values" of "local sequences" ? That is the local difference of points, after the frontiers are closed in the local area considered, between the case "Black plays first" and the case "White plays first" ?
This being counted with Territory scoring (area scoring give different swing values for gote sequences, because the number of Black and White stones is not equal. It also gives different values if the sequence is sente, but has optional follow-ups resulting in the same player playing locally twice in a row).

Also, when you say "can move to a local count of G with gote or S with sente", do you mean that the player has the choice between two endgame sequences, one gote with a swing value of G points, and another one sente with a swing value of S points ?

Post #107 Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:00 am 
Judan

A local count is Black's points minus White's points.

I think your quotation refers to a local endgame in which one player chooses, on his first local move, between a gote option resulting in the position G with the local count C(G) or a different sente option resulting, if played as a local sente sequence, in the position S with the local count C(S).

We often use symbols conveniently with multiple meanings. E.g., we might use G and S also as the counts of these positions, i.e., C(G) = G and C(S) = S.

EDITS

Post #108 Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:56 am 
Honinbo

Pio2001 wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Let's suppose that you have a position where you can move to a local count of G with gote or S with sente

Hi, the discussion seems very interesting. Could you explain what are G and S, so that I can follow it from the beginning ?

Hi, Pio. Glad you find this interesting. :)

In the original discussion about RBerenguel's question, G and S are local counts, either scores or average scores before the position has been played out ( http://senseis.xmp.net/?Count ). In our current discussion I use them as local scores, and they are non-negative numbers.

Quote:
Are you talking about the "swing values" of "local sequences" ?

In both the original discussion and this one we are comparing lines of play with the same player (Black, by default) playing first. Swing values would arise from comparisons with results when different players play first. In the first discussion I also talk about how much a play gains, which is only its swing value in the case of reverse sente. In our current discussion swing values may appear, such as in the comparison, 2B >= 2D. But other values appear, such as C + 2D, which are not swing values. These values are simply local results or differences in local results in different lines of play.

Edit: There are also swing values that do not appear in the current discussion. For instance, if {2B | 0 || -A} is gote, its swing value is A + B, but that value does not appear in any comparison. This discussion is not about swing values. :)

Quote:
Also, when you say "can move to a local count of G with gote or S with sente", do you mean that the player has the choice between two endgame sequences, one gote with a swing value of G points, and another one sente with a swing value of S points ?

Berenguel was talking about local positions which offer a choice of sente or gote plays, where playing one option destroys the other. G and S in that sentence are the results of each choice, not the values of the moves. You can also have comparisons between independent gote and sente, but that is not what his original question was about.

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #109 Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 am 
Honinbo

RobertJasiek wrote:
We often use symbols conveniently with multiple meanings. E.g., we might use G and S also as the counts of these positions, i.e., C(G) = G and C(S) = S.

It is my preference to use lower case letters for numbers and uppercase letters for positions and games. But lower case letters do not stand out well in the midst of text. So in these discussions I often use uppercase for both.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #110 Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:26 am 
Judan

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B Black to move
$$ -------------------
$$ | O . . . . . . X .
$$ | O X . X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X
$$ | . O . O O O O O O[/go]

During the early endgame, which is Black's correct move?

[go]$$B Count +5
$$ -------------------
$$ | O . 1 . . . . X .
$$ | O X . X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Count?
$$ -------------------
$$ | O . . . . . . X .
$$ | O X 1 X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

How to calculate the count? Is it also 5? I think that yes but I am not used to microendgame calculations. Is the next follow-up move a sente or reverse sente?

Post #111 Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
RobertJasiek wrote:
[go]$$B Count?
$$ -------------------
$$ | O . . . . . . X .
$$ | O X 1 X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

How to calculate the count? Is it also 5? I think that yes but I am not used to microendgame calculations. Is the next follow-up move a sente or reverse sente?

I'm no endgame expert, but here's my take on the inquiry above.

From this position, it's gote both for white and black to play at 'a':
[go]$$B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O a . . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

Therefore, it's a 50% chance that black plays here and ends the position:
[go]$$B Position A
$$ -------------------
$$ | O B . . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

In this case, that's 6 points for black with 50% probability. What about the other 50% chance? Well, that comes down to the count of this position, where white played first:
[go]$$B Position B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O W . . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

So what's this count? Recursively apply the procedure above... GIVEN this position, there's 50% chance that black blocks:
[go]$$B Position C
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O B . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

So 50% chance of getting 5 points. But what about the other 50%? Well, it's the value of this position:
[go]$$B Position D
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O W . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

Repeat procedure, again. 50% chance of black playing first and ending, this time for 4 points:
[go]$$B Position E
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O B . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

And 50% chance that it's the value of this position:
[go]$$B Position F
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O W . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

which is 50% chance of this:
[go]$$B Position G
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O O B . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

(3 points) vs. 50% chance of this (1 point):
[go]$$B Position H
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O O W . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

At this point, it's questionable as to whether the white move is gote. Black gets a point by responding, so it's relatively large. So I'd say that it's likely going to elicit a response from black. In other words, the board position will end like this, given the scenario above:
[go]$$B Position I
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O O O B . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

for a final position of 1 points. That's a terminal state.

Now roll the evaluation back up to the beginning.

0.5*Value(A)+0.5*(0.5*Value(C)+0.5*(0.5*Value(E)+0.5*(0.5*Value(G)+0.5*Value(H))))

Which comes to:

0.5*6+0.5(0.5*5+0.5*(0.5*4+0.5*(0.5*3+0.5*1))) = 5 points...

That's my interpretation, anyway, but in a real game, I'd say, something like, "meh, maybe a bit over 5 points?".

How far off am I in this calculation?

Post #112 Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 62
KGS: Schachus12
Yeah, the count is clearly exactly 5(and all moves are worth 1 point exactly. But I think this second Position favors black compared to the first one, since he can kind of decide, when to block, which will be useful for tedomari. Bill can explain this nicely with his infinitesimals(should be a corridor ending in a tiny?)

I mean he can decide because the white pushes are ambigous between sente and gote, they can be treated as 1pt sente Or 2pt gote, which is the same size, and this decision is Up to black.

Sorry For some uppercase words, hard to Write an english Text versus your German Autocorrect.

Post #113 Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm 
Honinbo

It's not "clearly" 5 to me, unless there's a method I'm not aware of. For example, if we modify the position slightly such that the end position in my analysis were two points, as follows:

[go]$$B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O . . . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O B X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

I calculate a value of 5.0625...

If that's correct, it's not clear to me unless I do that long calculation..

Post #114 Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 pm 
Lives with ko

My "rule" is: push in a corridor that ends with sente or with 2 point gote always has a miai value of 1, no matter how long the corridor.

Actually, according to this rule, you should be mistaken.., this ends in 2 point gote, so the miai value should still be 5(that stone beeing black does help black anyway though , since its even better for tedomari.

Actually, there was a mistake in your analysis before: If you treat the last white move as sente, it has Not only 50% Chance of Happening. But this mistake cancelled out, because you should have treated one push earlier(Position f) as sente already, because the withe Stone Makes that last push big and black should prevent it(F always leads to G if black plays correctly, I does Not happen) But you can see how that first mistake infuenced the other count in the modified Position , where the end is 3 and Not 0,5(3+2).

Post #115 Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:52 pm 
Judan

Let me try again:

Position D is {4 ||| 3 || 1 || 0 | BIG} = {4 || 3 | 0} because the right subtree is White's sente. {3 | 0} has the count 1.5 and the move value 1.5.

If we assumed the root to be gote, we would be calculating its tentative count from {4 | 1.5} as 2.75 and its tentative move value as 1.25. Since this is smaller than the follow-up move value 1.5, actually the root is sente for White. Position D has the inherited count 3 from the sente follower.

Therefore, the position B is {5 | 3} = 4.

Therefore, the initial position (black stone at the 3-2 point) is {6 | 4} = 5.

I guess, there might also be some infinitesemal but which and why.

Post #116 Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 am 
Honinbo

Hi, guys! :)

[go]$$W Position D
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O 1 2 . . X . |
$$ | O X X X X a X X X |
$$ | O X . O O X X X . |
$$ | O O O O O O O X X |
$$ | . O . O O O O O O |
$$ -------------------[/go]

As Schachus and Robert indicate, :w1: is sente. That being the case the count of position D is 3.

You can tell that it is sente because if White gets in a play at 2 it takes away the point at "a", which :w1: does not do. The position after :w2: actually has a count of 0, as Robert says, but you don't have to do the calculation to see that :w1: is sente.

[go]$$B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O . . . . . B X . |
$$ | O X X X X B . . X |
$$ | O X . O O X X X . |
$$ | O O O O O O O X X |
$$ | . O . O O O O O O |
$$ -------------------[/go]

This position has a count of 5.0625.

More in the morning. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #117 Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:25 am 
Lives with ko

I'm not sure, how much better the solid connection really is for black, but here another argument(whitout any count or infinitesimals), why it can only be better, never worse than the first line move:

[go]$$B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O a 1 . . . . X .
$$ | O X . X X . X X X
$$ | O X b O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

This position is finished, white has a ko threat at either a or b. Lets assume he is going to use a later(it doesnt make a difference, but it makes the comparison easier. Edit: actually, a is the bigger threat anyway). Hence locally play will go like this

[go]$$B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O 2 1 . . . . X .
$$ | O X 3 X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

Now in the other Variation, the only local move for white is also going to be at 2:

[go]$$B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O 2 3 . . . . X .
$$ | O X 1 X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X
. But here black has the choice, whether to block 3 leading to exactly the same result(!, so black can make SURE, he is not worse off then in the other line), or whether not to block. And since 3 has the same value(miai speeking) as 2, this option not to answer is not really a big benefit, but its also not a stpid option you would never use. Also since 2 is not strictly stente for white, also blaxk might get to play there, which is extra option the other line doesnt have. Last but not least, like this there is no ko threat for w.

Last edited by Schachus on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Schachus was liked by: dfan

Post #118 Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:02 am 
Judan

I have not mentioned the "no kos now or later" condition but meant it because, if you really want to discuss ko threats (or kos created locally...!), it is a never-ending topic and iterative ko threats (becoming effective after a succession of such plays of a player) would also be relevant. If Black chooses the solid connection, White can play 5 successive plays to have a ko threat.

Post #119 Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:33 am 
Honinbo

Bill Spight wrote:
As Schachus and Robert indicate, is sente. That being the case the count of position D is 3.

Ok. Then I don't understand why the count of the original position is not this:
0.5*6+0.5(0.5*5+0.5*(0.5*4+0.5*(3))) = 5.125.

My calculations are from these positions:
[go]$$B Pos A
$$ -------------------
$$ | O B . . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Pos B
$$ -------------------
$$ | O W . . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Pos C
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O B . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Pos D
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O W . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Pos E
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O B . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Pos F (since white's push is sente)
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O W B . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

My calculation is as follows:

From the initial position, both black and white plays are gote. So there's 50% chance of either.

The count is:
Initial Count = 0.5*Count(Pos A) + 0.5*Count(Pos B)

The count of Pos A is clear since it's terminal (6 points), but the count of Pos B is:
Count(Pos B) = 0.5*Count(Pos C) + 0.5*Count(Pos D)

The count of Pos C is clear since it's terminal (5 points), but the count of Pos D is:
Count(Pos D) = 0.5*Count(Pos E) + 0.5*Count(Pos F)

Both are terminal since position F results in a black response (since it's sente), and the values are 4 and 3, respectively.

Therefore, the initial count is:
Initial Count = 0.5*6+0.5(0.5*5+0.5*(0.5*4+0.5*3)) = 5.125.

What's wrong with this approach to the count?

Post #120 Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:45 am 
Lives with ko

Kirby wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
As Schachus and Robert indicate, is sente. That being the case the count of position D is 3.

My calculations are from these positions:
[...]
[go]$$B Pos D
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O W . . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Pos E
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O B . . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

[go]$$B Pos F (since white's push is sente)
$$ -------------------
$$ | O O O W B . . X .
$$ | O X X X X . X X X
$$ | O X . O O X X X .
$$ | O O O O O O O X X

My calculation is as follows:
[...]
The count of Pos C is clear since it's terminal (5 points), but the count of Pos D is:
Count(Pos D) = 0.5*Count(Pos E) + 0.5*Count(Pos F)

What's wrong with this approach to the count?

Everything until here is right. But the count of position D is the same as the count of position F("sente gains nothing"). Position E is only important if you want to previous white push (the one leading from B to D) as sente, if you count that move gote, that means black will not answer and thus white get the next push as his privilege because its sente. Hence count of D is the count of F. You can only average the counts if play is gote for BOTH sides.

This post by Schachus was liked by: dfan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next