It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The harder part of Go
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 301
Was liked: 127
I've got a potential helper or two on the way and am ready to start my club.

I have a good idea of how I'm going to handle and teach the newcomers. I've done enough research and am good enough with people and teaching in general to know I can handle this without any problems. :cool:

The problem is when you get to the nitty gritty of Go. I'm referring to that period where you are faced with a large 361-point board and have no idea what you're doing. Worse, you play as hard as you can and things never line up. You want to win and learn but you're just not getting it.

In short, the part of learning Go when you have to push through the tunnel until you see the light.

The beginning is fresh and new and exciting, and the journey towards new strength and enjoyment is breathtaking, but there's a part of the whole experience that's simply frustrating. This is where your love of Go is tested. This is where players are won or lost.

I haven't found any pointers yet on how to handle this stage of the beginner's introduction to Go. Is there a way to help them enjoy the game through this period? Do I gently drill the fundamentals into them until they see the purpose behind their own moves? It's an important step in their learning, but I'd like to get those who reach this stage get through it in a minimal amount of time and in as pleasant a manner as possible.

So I turn to all of you who have nurtured players past the Stage of Irritation and Self-Doubt. How did you do it? :bow:

P.S.: I know that not everyone goes through this and sees it as an ordeal, but some will, and I want to make sure to retain as many willing players as possible...

This post by Phoenix was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: The harder part of Go
Post #2 Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Past self-doubt? When did that happen?

This post by Kirby was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, gasana, Inkwolf, Phelan

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:03 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Phoenix,
Phoenix wrote:
...when you have to push through the tunnel until you see the light.
Very good question; also, very difficult, I think.

Since chess seems to be much more successful in this regard -- there's a recent thread somewhere
talking about how chess in the US started focusing on the youth many years ago,
and that has made a big difference, but I don't know where's the thread.

A few things I've observed from experience -- some about Go specifically, some in general --
in no particular order of priority, I just label them for easier reference later:

(a) adults and children are different. Teaching them can (but does not necessarily have to) be different.
What works for adults may not work for children, and vice versa.

(b) everybody is different; every student is unique, every teacher is unique.
(It may be possible to find some general ideas, but, this can also be a trap.)

(c) there's no "one light" at "the end" of the tunnel -- the tunnel is infinitely long;
there are only occasional, sporadic windows here and there along the way.

(d) Corollary to (c): another analogy is the mountain is infinitely high; there are fog layers everywhere.
We can only take one step at a time, even when we find ourselves completely lost in one fog layer --
as long as we take it one step at a time, eventually there's a chance we can suddenly see
that we have passed the most recent fog layer, and momentarily we can see clearly,
but we walk some more, and we hit the next fog layer -- the process repeats itself.

(It's more difficult for children to relate to (d), because usually they lack the experience;
but for adults with certain life experience, they can relate to (d) better.)

(e) Corollary to (b): different strokes for different folks -- it's not easy to find out
what motivates an individual -- the individual teacher has to teach the individual student
over some time to figure out what works for this particular student and what does not.
Some people enjoy doing Life-and-Death problems; others hate it -- what can you do? :)

(f) Go is not for everybody. I dunno how to sugar coat this, but at least it's not for quitters.

(g) Corollary to (c,d,f): Go is a life-long marathon, not a 100-meter dash.
(The irony is if we asked the Olympic 100-meter dashers, I suspect they would also say
their 100-meter dash training process IS a marathon!! :))

This post by EdLee was liked by 6 people: 1/7,000,000,000, Bill Spight, Bonobo, goTony, Phelan, Phoenix

Post #4 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: MSGreg
Either specific advice
1) "look at the board as a whole and for every move play each stone independently of the previous order of moves. What might make the most points, or ensure life or cause death"
2) Recommend the book "Opening Made Easy"

Or I'll switch tactics and talk about the other reasons for enjoying go:
3) "you know that feeling of learning something new and realizing what you 'knew' before was wrong, that seems to be consistent at least up to dan level."
4) "I really enjoy the philosophical aspects and how go relates to life: balance, humility, always someone better than you, give and take, mutual life."

Go Tin - very portable go

Post #5 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
1. Start on 9x9 boards. Recommend it, but if someone insists on playing 19x19 then you should obviously let them.
2. Show them gently commented openings suitable for beginners (I don't know where to find these).

Post #6 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks, msreg and EdLee. I have to keep in mind that everyone is different and Go is a journey. I just find there's a sink-or-swim period where a lot of people give up on the game. I'll be sure to encourage when necessary, and keep my senses open.

I love the "The Opening Made Easy" part. The opening is something I've gotten some sort of a handle on only in the last few months. For beginners it's HUGELY confusing.

hyperpape wrote:
1. Start on 9x9 boards. Recommend it, but if someone insists on playing 19x19 then you should obviously let them.
2. Show them gently commented openings suitable for beginners (I don't know where to find these).

Openings again... I'm definitely starting everyone on 9x9 unless they object. I don't really want to teach them opening patterns though. I did that for a while and ended up losing so many more games than I had beforehand. Understanding the relation between territory and power, the idea behind approaches and pincers, etc, helps much more to grow as a player in my opinion. :ugeek:

I didn't have a teacher, so this is very experimental. I do have to agree that Go is definitely not for quitters! :mrgreen:

Post #7 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I would even recommend starting with Capture-Go on a 5x5 and then 7x7 board (but it can depend on the ages and disposition of your pupils). It gives them an easier chance to win right away, and they can progress quicker to larger boards and regular go.

I learned on a full 19x19 and tried to teach my kids the same way quite unsuccessfully. The first time I watched someone else teaching with Capture-Plus on a 5x5 board, I was intrigued but skeptical. After watching a few more times I was impressed -- and hooked on how easy it was to introduce beginners to the game.

Though, I was confused for a long time why they kept insisting on calling it Capture-Plus. It seemed such an unnecessary distinction from just saying "Capture-Go" or "Atari-Go". But I much later learned that there was a different variation of the same name and that the difference was that with Plus, you could end the game with passes and count territory. I had no idea that anyone would just keep playing, filling in their own territory and killing themselves.

And I was always impressed with the 6D teacher who would always warn his new students at the start with, "you won't capture me...", hinting that this teaching variation of the game is not about capturing (as people often think, from the name), but rather it is about not leaving behind weaknesses before attacking. Its about paying attention to your own stones as well as your opponent's stones -- recognizing when you're in atari before its too late (a common beginner problem)

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:21 pm 
Lives with ko

xed_over wrote:
I would even recommend starting with Capture-Go on a 5x5 and then 7x7 board (but it can depend on the ages and disposition of your pupils). It gives them an easier chance to win right away, and they can progress quicker to larger boards and regular go.

I learned on a full 19x19 and tried to teach my kids the same way quite unsuccessfully. The first time I watched someone else teaching with Capture-Plus on a 5x5 board, I was intrigued but skeptical. After watching a few more times I was impressed -- and hooked on how easy it was to introduce beginners to the game.

Though, I was confused for a long time why they kept insisting on calling it Capture-Plus. It seemed such an unnecessary distinction from just saying "Capture-Go" or "Atari-Go". But I much later learned that there was a different variation of the same name and that the difference was that with Plus, you could end the game with passes and count territory. I had no idea that anyone would just keep playing, filling in their own territory and killing themselves.

And I was always impressed with the 6D teacher who would always warn his new students at the start with, "you won't capture me...", hinting that this teaching variation of the game is not about capturing (as people often think, from the name), but rather it is about not leaving behind weaknesses before attacking. Its about paying attention to your own stones as well as your opponent's stones -- recognizing when you're in atari before its too late (a common beginner problem)

I talked about no-pass Capture Go in another thread. I think it's a great and organic way to teach the very basics of the game. :mrgreen:

However, I'm concerned with the playing-on-a-full-board-pulling-your-hairs-out-thinking-what-am-I-doing part of the learning experience. ;-)

Post #9 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:52 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Phoenix wrote:
The problem is when you get to the nitty gritty of Go. I'm referring to that period where you are faced with a large 361-point board and have no idea what you're doing.

That means you're a go player. ;)

(Actually, I did not face that problem until I was an SDK. Before then, I didn't know enough to be undecided. ;))

Quote:
I haven't found any pointers yet on how to handle this stage of the beginner's introduction to Go. Is there a way to help them enjoy the game through this period? Do I gently drill the fundamentals into them until they see the purpose behind their own moves? It's an important step in their learning, but I'd like to get those who reach this stage get through it in a minimal amount of time and in as pleasant a manner as possible.

My feeling, based upon my experience as both a beginner and a teacher, is not to teach too much. :)

I also like starting out on small boards. :)

But I started on the 19x19 and always had some idea where to play. At first they were bad ideas, and did not make much go sense. The first game I played against my 5 kyu teacher, he tried to correct me during the game, but I asked him not to, and he kept quiet. :) IMX it is easy to stifle people's impulses by early correction. You want to shape behavior, not squelch it. :)

What if they freeze up? Then I would address the freezing up, not the go.

I have never used a go checklist myself, but they help some people.

What if they are dithering? Well, as bridge great Terence Reese said, Don't dither. ;)

I think that go always has an aspect of jumping in the river to learn how to swim. After all, if you opponent is any good, he will give you problems to solve. ;) (I suppose that it would be possible to create a course in go that would have enough detail so that the beginner never faces that challenge. After a year or two of study, he would be ready to play a game. ;))

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Phoenix

Post subject: Re:
Post #10 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:05 pm 
Honinbo

EdLee wrote:
(f) Go is not for everybody. I dunno how to sugar coat this, but at least it's not for quitters.

There was a time when hippies got interested in go. The Glass Bead Game, or something. As a friend said, "They like it until they find out that you actually have to think." ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: gasana, Samura

Post #11 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Welcome back, Bill!

The method I'm going to use will definitely involve giving students some space. In fact after the introduction I'm pretty much planning to point out something here and there, and mostly waiting for them to ask when they want some insight. :mrgreen:

In the past, teaching different things, I've always found that belching industrious amounts of knowledge and/or correcting all the time does NOT work out. I learned this teaching badminton informally and finding people will improve devilishly fast with a very minimal amount of coaching. I used to tell people exactly how to hold the grip and which angle to place the foot and how to maximize your recovery. Now I save those details for much later and instead focus on general concepts that will help them more quicker.

It takes a LOT more work to correct bad habits than to instill correct ones early on, but if it comes at the price of players losing interest, feeling cramped and leaving frustrated, then both parties can put in the extra effort later. If they reach a higher level and THEN get frustrated, I will show them the finer technical details.

In Go I plan to shift the focus to how much fun the game is, and then go into how to improve, IF I'm dealing with someone who wishes to improve. ;-)

This post by Phoenix was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, msgreg

Post #12 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:35 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Bill Spight wrote:
What if they freeze up? Then I would address the freezing up, not the go.

This, this, and this again.

I've been strongly encouraging one of my students to go wild with invasions (particularly contact play ones) and open with 5-3 stones for a few games to broaden horizons and give new perspectives on the game. I think one of the most valuable roles a teacher can have is to encourage students to break down the walls that they themselves have put in front of them. At the end of the day, the majority of the improvement that a player gets is due to their own graft - playing games, studying professional games, solving go problems etc, but injecting some joy and satisfaction in the process of doing so can be a very simple and valuable contribution for a teacher to make. Of course, a teacher can offer sequences, tesuji etc that the student simply wouldn't have seen to speed up the progress of learning, but I see this as only a piece or two in a much bigger puzzle of being succesful at teaching.

Opening a students eyes to equip themselves to self-learn and keep the motivation to do so cannot be understated IMNSHO.

This post by topazg was liked by 5 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, goTony, Kanin, Phoenix

Post #13 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Phoenix wrote:
I don't really want to teach them opening patterns though. I did that for a while and ended up losing so many more games than I had beforehand. Understanding the relation between territory and power, the idea behind approaches and pincers, etc, helps much more to grow as a player in my opinion. :ugeek:
Good. There's no need for *patterns*, especially if you mean something like "this is the chinese opening."

What I'd like to see is a set of gentle comments on games (both well-played and poorly played) that highlight aspects of the opening. Start with the most basic: corners, sides, center, playing big approaches, making a base, the dynamics of pincers. No complicated joseki (never the word joseki). Mention all five (or six or seven!) first moves in the corner.

Really, you could do this with a book, with game commentaries, or even just showing things on the board.

Bill's comment about not teaching/lecturing too much is apt, but I wish I knew where to find this material for a student who was interested.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Phoenix

Post #14 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 pm 
Honinbo

Phoenix wrote:
In the past, teaching different things, I've always found that belching industrious amounts of knowledge and/or correcting all the time does NOT work out. I learned this teaching badminton informally and finding people will improve devilishly fast with a very minimal amount of coaching.

topazg wrote:
I think one of the most valuable roles a teacher can have is to encourage students to break down the walls that they themselves have put in front of them.
{snip}
Opening a students eyes to equip themselves to self-learn and keep the motivation to do so cannot be understated IMNSHO.

Amen, my brothers, amen! :)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Phoenix

Post #15 Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 pm 
Honinbo

topazg wrote:
"I played a trick play and my opponent fell for it, unfortunately he didn't know the correct followup, so I died"

That put me in mind of a game I played 8 or 9 months after learning the game. It was the first time I had played at the Nihon Kiin, at the club by Tokyo station. My opponent was a 2 dan, who gave me 7 stones. I had never played with an open corner before, so I got him to let me place 4 stones around tengen.

:mrgreen:

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: topazg

Post #16 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:23 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 52
Phoenix wrote:
The problem is when you get to the nitty gritty of Go. I'm referring to that period where you are faced with a large 361-point board and have no idea what you're doing. Worse, you play as hard as you can and things never line up. You want to win and learn but you're just not getting it.

In short, the part of learning Go when you have to push through the tunnel until you see the light.

The beginning is fresh and new and exciting, and the journey towards new strength and enjoyment is breathtaking, but there's a part of the whole experience that's simply frustrating. This is where your love of Go is tested. This is where players are won or lost.

I can relate to this, having played/studied the game for a couple of months, got to around 15 kyu maybe, and then just lost interest in it.

I think that at that level, you understand well all the rules of the game, and have some basic tactics and strategy. You know some simple shapes, and whether they are generally good or bad. You can follow another game quite well, and understand the flow of the game, who is winning, and you can see reasons for most of the moves. So, you are quite pleased with yourself for having got that far.

Then your progress slows right down, and realise that to get any further is going to take an awful lot of hard work. You learn about the idea of josekis, and that the more of them you know, the better, but there are thousands of them, so where do you start? Life-and-death problems look impenetrable. You need to know the status of loads of corner shapes - Ls and Js and boxes and all their subtle variations, but again there are so many of them, and it is tedious trying to remember them. It all seems very dry and abstract.

No-one that I know knows anything at all about the game, and the nearest club is struggling along with a handful of members that meet in the corner of a bar if enough people agree beforehand to go that week. It is just not part of our culture, and could therefore be seen as irrelevant. Proudly announce to 1000 random people that you are a 5-kyu Go player, and it will mean nothing to 999 of them. With so little encouragement, it is easy to lose interest.

You get so much conflicting advice, you do not know what to believe. The answer to most questions is usually “It depends...”, followed by a specific example that is never going to come up again. It can be frustrating never getting a simple answer. As an early beginner, your questions can often be given simple answers, and as a sdk you can work a lot out for yourself, but for me at least there is a difficult area between these 2 stages. You cannot even ask a computer to tell you the best move or assess a particular move, like you can in chess.

Having said that, I am grateful for the advice I received from the other forum members, and appreciate that it was the best help that could be offered given the nature of the game.

I hope this doesn’t come across as moaning or criticism of the game, as I can see that it is a wonderful game, especially if you are introduced to it as a child, and you live in the Far East! Instead, please take it as a list of the issues that you may want to think about in your own situation.

I will probably return to the game at some point, if something triggers my interest again. In the meantime, living in the UK and in my advanced years, chess seems to be a better option.

Peter

This post by PeterPeter was liked by 4 people: 1/7,000,000,000, Bill Spight, Bonobo, Phoenix

Post #17 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
PeterPeter wrote:
I hope this doesn’t come across as moaning or criticism of the game

It doesn't. I've felt the same and I'm sure a lot of others have too. (btw, you forgot "studying for a while and discovering an infant can beat you before learning to speak").

PeterPeter wrote:
I will probably return to the game at some point, if something triggers my interest again. In the meantime, living in the UK and in my advanced years, chess seems to be a better option.

Have you seen battousai playing videos? (search dwyrin in youtube) They made go look so simple that they made me want to play. (My game wasn't so simple, but I had played one more. Then I saw another video, played another game...)

Post #18 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:30 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Teaching beginners is difficult. Many years ago I had a friend, who had been very interested in learning to play, show up at a go club meeting. I was involved in a very interesting game and my beginner friend sat down to learn with a 2k player who proceeded to "teach" by explaining how strong he was (about 28 ranks stronger) and humiliating my friend by playing on a full size board, capturing everything and gloating about it. Unfortunately that was the last time my beginner friend came to the club. This is an example of bad teaching, if it can even be called teaching at all. When I sit down at the go board with someone I think it is an opportunity for both of us to have a learning experience regardless of which of us is the stronger player. A good teacher can learn from every teaching experience. Something that isn't mentioned often is that the bigger the difference in knowledge between the teacher and pupil the more the teacher needs to think about teaching rather than just the subject being taught. If you have a PhD in English it is probably easier for you to teach a university course than a high school course and that would be easier than teaching elementary school. Back to teaching go. I saw on NHK-TV in Japan some sessions of a go class for beginners taught by a 7p, Izumitani Masanori. Izumitani-sensei showed humility, enthusiasm, and support for his students. In no way were the students shamed for making "bad" moves. The teacher clearly loved go and was excited to share that love with his students. And the students responded. I also recall a US Go Congress several years ago at which Saijo Masataka 8p was one of the pros attending. A beginners' class was organized for spouses and friends of congress participants and Saijo-sensei was the teacher. Clearly pros consider teaching beginners an important job.

This post by gowan was liked by 8 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, gasana, hyperpape, PeterHB, Phoenix, tekesta, xed_over

Post #19 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 am 
Honinbo

PeterPeter wrote:
Then your progress slows right down, and realise that to get any further is going to take an awful lot of hard work. You learn about the idea of josekis, and that the more of them you know, the better, but there are thousands of them, so where do you start? Life-and-death problems look impenetrable. You need to know the status of loads of corner shapes - Ls and Js and boxes and all their subtle variations, but again there are so many of them, and it is tedious trying to remember them. It all seems very dry and abstract.

FWIW, I did not study life and death until I was 4 kyu, and I have never memorized joseki or corner shapes. (Not that I don't know a number of them, but really! ;))

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #20 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Bill Spight wrote:
PeterPeter wrote:

FWIW, I did not study life and death until I was 4 kyu, and I have never memorized joseki or corner shapes. (Not that I don't know a number of them, but really! ;))

me too neither (only I'm not 4kyu yet, but getting closer)

I gave up chess for about the same reason -- didn't want to start learning all the variously named openings. For me, it just seemed to take the fun out of the game. I consider joseki to be almost the same. Go is still fun for me, and studying joseki takes the fun out. When learned in context, as in if I don't play here then something bad is going to happen, then its not so bad.

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bonobo