Post subject: On "Help me choose between these books?"
Post #1 Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:08 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 792
Quotation reference:
viewtopic.php?p=182831#p182831

althus wrote:
So I've played a couple dozen games against the computer, and feel like I'm not a complete and utter beginner anymore. My games are at least recognizable as go games and don't look like I'm playing the wrong game on a go board. But I still have that sense of bewilderment that sets in at around move ten. As in, OMG what should I be trying to accomplish now. I feel like it's time for some books, maybe they will help. I've narrowed it down to:

Yilun Yang--Fundamental Principles of Go
Yuan Zhou--Understanding How to Play Go
Feng Yun--The Best Play
Neil Moffatt--Go by Example

Your list is incomplete and inconsistent. It is incomplete because it misses other introductory books: those mentioned in the other thread or below. It is inconsistent because Fundamental Principles of Go is too advanced for you.

From your description, it is hard to guess whether you need very easy books, such as Moffatt's, Graded Go Problems for Beginners 1 and Kim's vol. 1; or somewhat more advanced beginner books, such as my essential book First Fundamentals, In the Beginning, Second Book of Go or Graded Go Problems for Beginners 2.

When others recommend Opening Theory Made Easy, Shape Up!, Tesuji, Get Strong at Tesuji, Graded Go Problems for Beginners 3 + 4 and Opening Theory Made Easy, you should know that they are, although less adavanced than Fundamental Principles of Go, more advanced than the aforementioned "somewhat more advanced beginner books", which you should read before.

I do not recommend Understanding How to Play Go; it lacks structure which would guide you well as a beginner.