It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Haylee's book reviews
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 71
I am, along with everyone else (how can anyone not be), a big fan of Haylee's go videos, certainly one of the strongest and most prolific content-producers on this game. We often mention her videos at my local club.

I couldn't help but notice that her book reviews have focussed exclusively on Hinoki Press, and while not affiliated with Go Game Guru, she has stated in a previous video that they tend to send her copies of specific books to review.

I feel obligated through nothing else than conscientiousness to state that there are a great many books by several publishers (to what extent they intertwine on a business level I am unsure), and that to focus on one publisher on a popular go channel leaves me with a somewhat uneasy feeling.

Of course, Haylee is perfectly allowed to review whatever books she wants (and rightly so), and I could be coming across in the wrong way. I do, however, pose myself these questions, and I am sure that others have thought about similar questions.

Is Haylee aware of the 'classics' in Western go literature? And, is there consensus on what these are?
Will Haylee review books that are not for sale at Go Game Guru? (bit of a cheeky question...)
Will Haylee review books that are not in English?

For what it's worth, these are my absolute favourite books. Maybe by having them reviewed on her channel, it will cause a reprint or two!

Lectures on Go Techniques (vols 1-3), Cho Hunhyun
Appreciating Famous Games, Shuzo Ohira
One Thousand and One Life and Death Problems, Richard Bozulich
The Elementary Go Series (with possible exception of In The Beginning and 38 Basic Joseki, sorry...)
Maeda's Tsumego, Maeda Nobuaki

I have to state as a disclaimer that I have not read any Hinoki Press books, because based on my research, I am consuming books in the order of critical acclaim and perceived usefulness for my level. From the limited reviews that exist on the Internet about books published by Hinoki Press, they seem to be a mixed bag.

Post subject: Re: Haylee's book reviews
Post #2 Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Just my opinion, but why would you expect answers about what Haylee would do from this forum? - why not ask her directly if you're interested. I wasn't aware of GGG sending her books but I would imagine other publishers are free to do so too.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:02 pm 
Lives in gote

CnP wrote:
Just my opinion, but why would you expect answers about what Haylee would do from this forum? - why not ask her directly if you're interested. I wasn't aware of GGG sending her books but I would imagine other publishers are free to do so too.

Yes, I considered asking her directly. I thought about a Facebook message then thought about posting on the YouTube account. There are two reasons why I haven't:

It's not really a 'thing' that's irking me as much as to warrant direct contact. Plus, I don't want to stir the pot. If Haylee wants to review the books she wants to review, then who's to say that I should have a bearing on that.

Secondly, the topic of the YouTube reviews kind of got interesting from the angle of what the go community had to say. Maybe it's coming across as passive-agressive! When I asked myself those questions, it was quite rhetorical in meaning. I don't know, but I was finding the topic of "what other people's thoughts on books Haylee should review" to be of independent merit, and so I decided to post it here. :)

Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:12 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Jujube wrote:
Is Haylee aware of the 'classics' in Western go literature? And, is there consensus on what these are?

IMO, Western go literature is too young to have any recognized classics yet. It is great to see how many good books are available now in Western languages. I suppose that Segoe's Go Proverbs Illustrated is a classic, but it is a translation from the Japanese. Lots of luck getting your hands on a copy, in either language!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Jujube wrote:

IMO, Western go literature is too young to have any recognized classics yet. It is great to see how many good books are available now in Western languages. I suppose that Segoe's Go Proverbs Illustrated is a classic, but it is a translation from the Japanese. Lots of luck getting your hands on a copy, in either language!

Amazon has it for £30 if you're in need of a copy!

I must admit, I've not heard of this book until now. I shall add it to my mental list of classics. Maybe we should start a new thread where everyone lists their classic go books. Of course, Kageyama will top the list. Unfortunately, I belong to the camp that says the book is somewhat overrated.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:23 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
I have watched her Catching Scent of Victory video. It is not so much a review but more like reading aloud a few pages of the book, as if she would be replacing your own visit to a book store, where you would test read those few pages as a sample extract.