It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tsumego After Graded Go Problems for Beginners
Post #1 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked several times before, but I just finished the 4th volume of the "Graded Go Problems for Beginners" series by Kano Yoshinori. I blew through the first 3 volumes with little effort, but I spent quite a while going through some parts of the 4th volume, and now I am at the point where I am confident in my ability to solve the problems.

Now I am looking for books that would further improve my reading abilities. I was thinking of getting the go problems for dan players series. Would this be a good series of problem books to go through if I am still at a reading level of the 4th volume of graded go problems? I don't want something too hard where it will take me forever to solve the problems, but I would like to move on to some problems that will challenge me slightly more than the graded go problems book, and further improve my reading abilitys. Could anyone please recommend some good tsumego books for me at my current level?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Tsumego After Graded Go Problems for Beginners
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:47 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
I've been considering getting the first two volumes of Lee Changho's Life and Death series: http://senseis.xmp.net/?LiChangHoJingjiangWeiqiSihuo

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:56 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Instead of restricting yourself to tsumego, you can also study life and death. Every not-too-easy, not-too-difficult tsumego / life-and-death problem book serves your purpose. Besides, read the book Tactical Reading, which expands your understanding to the theory and whose problems have a difficulty that is on average suitable for your current study purpose.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
The easier Graded Go Problems for Dan Players may be a good selection. The problems really start out easier than the 1d level. The tesuji book you should be able to get through, and quite possibly the life and death one.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:23 pm 
Dies in gote

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Boidhre, where can I get those books? I can't find them anywhere.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:21 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Monkey wrote:
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Boidhre, where can I get those books? I can't find them anywhere.

I got the Lee Changho books through Yellow Mountain Imports, but they don't seem to be currently carrying them. Maybe they'll come back, though.

Note that if you are already a 1k that has made it all the way through GGPB4, you should probably get the whole set of 6 books (if you can afford to). The first two probably won't be that challenging.

There's also a matching set of 6 tesuji books that are equally nice.

Also be aware that these books are entirely in Chinese, but you really just need to know the characters for Black, White, Solution, Variation, and Failure.

I've only just glanced at Graded Go Problems for Dan Players v1 but it seems like a good followup to GGPB4.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:27 am 
Oza

I don't know if you're living in Europe:

Korean versions (only first few volumes of either series): http://www.goshop-keima.com/boeken/boek ... eemboeken/

Someone with Chinese or Korean might be able to find you other places to get the full set. I've seen them on amazon.com/.co.uk but the prices are very varied.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Boidhre wrote:

Korean versions (only first few volumes of either series): http://www.goshop-keima.com/boeken/boek ... eemboeken/

Someone with Chinese or Korean might be able to find you other places to get the full set. I've seen them on amazon.com/.co.uk but the prices are very varied.

Pretty sure that the Korean set at goshop-keima isn't the same as Lee Chang-ho's Selected Life and Death Go Problems (李昌镐精讲围棋死活). I think the Korean set corresponds with this Chinese series: Lee Chang-ho's 21st Century Topical Lectures (李昌镐21世纪围棋专题讲座).

Post #9 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 am 
Oza

tchan001 wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

Pretty sure that the Korean set at goshop-keima isn't the same as Lee Chang-ho's Selected Life and Death Go Problems (李昌镐精讲围棋死活). I think the Korean set corresponds with this Chinese series: Lee Chang-ho's 21st Century Topical Lectures (李昌镐21世纪围棋专题讲座).

It's entirely possible that I could be mistaken.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
Cheapest method for ordering Changho's Life and Death/Tesuji book sets? Use something like Bhiner/Taobao to order from China.

You can search on Taobao using the Chinese characters (from sensei), then order it via Bhiner. Its much cheaper than ordering via amazon, which does the same thing, but just costs you extra.

The most expensive part is shipping. You can get both sets (all 12 books, new) for $25-30, but shipping may be twice as much. It's still cheaper than alternative shops.

Also, you can pick up a few other Chinese books for cheap at the same time, like Gokyo Shumyo. Adds weight, but again, it'll be cheaper than ordering via other sources (usually). Most books in China can be found for $1.50-$5 USD.

Edit: Added clarification and suggestions.

This post by sparky314 was liked by: Boidhre

Post #11 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:16 pm 
Dies in gote

sparky314 wrote:
Cheapest method for ordering Changho's Life and Death/Tesuji book sets? Use something like Bhiner/Taobao to order from China.

You can search on Taobao using the Chinese characters (from sensei), then order it via Bhiner. Its much cheaper than ordering via amazon, which does the same thing, but just costs you extra.

The most expensive part is shipping. You can get both sets (all 12 books, new) for $25-30, but shipping may be twice as much. It's still cheaper than alternative shops.

Also, you can pick up a few other Chinese books for cheap at the same time, like Gokyo Shumyo. Adds weight, but again, it'll be cheaper than ordering via other sources (usually). Most books in China can be found for $1.50-$5 USD.

Edit: Added clarification and suggestions.

Thank you! That is a good site to know about. :)
I think between the graded go problems for dan players, and the lee sedol books, I should have plenty of challenging tsumego problems to last me for a while.