It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best German language introductory book?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
I have a close German friend to whom I would like to give an introductory book as a gift. I would be grateful for recommendations. It must be in German language, which I do not speak. The intended recipient has never played Go before.

Post subject: Re: Best German language introductory book?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I cannot answer your question as I do not speak German either. But it raises another interesting question. I know Go For Beginners was translated into Spanish but I am not familiar with any other beginners' book in a western language. It would be interesting to see a complete list of what is available.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:37 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
I don't know German either, but goshop-keima.com might have what you're looking for?

http://www.goshop-keima.com/books/books-german/

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:43 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
I'm curious: does Robert have a general-purpose, introductory book written in German ?

Post #5 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:20 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
No; I have not found time to translate / write such in German yet. I also do not have a specific suggestion. There are a few German books for beginners, but none clearly qualifies as an obvious "best" introduction. Obviously, check Brett & Stein Verlag, but do not miss older, other books for absolute newbies. I forgot the titles, but would be surprised if you could not find them at Hebsacker Verlag, Schachversand Niggemann or Amazon.DE. My advice is to read English books (if the person can read English).

Post #6 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I looked on Hebsacker's website, and there are two books that might fit the bill. Unfortunately, I haven't read either of them, so I can only share what I read on the website. The books are:

1. Das Go-Spiel. Eine Einführung in das asiatische Brettspiel by Digulla/Ebert/Fecke/Timm

2. Go. Die Mitte des Himmels by Michael Koulen

The first is the "official" introductory book of the German go association (DGoB), and teaches the basic rules, techniques and strategic principles of the game. It includes problems and is also peppered with an excerpt from Hikaru no go, an interview, infos about go on the net etc. According to a reviewer is packs a lot of info into its 120 pages.

The second book focuses more on the history and culture of go and includes many illustrations of go as it appears in Chinese and Japanese art, but also teaches the rules and includes several master games commented for beginners.

Either or both books can also be bought as part of one of Hebsacker's beginner packages, which include some playing material as well.

Aside from this, Kageyama's lessons in the Fundamentals of Go has and Richard Bozulich's Second book of Go have also been translated into German, but they might not be the best first book to read.

This post by daal was liked by: Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
daal wrote:
I looked on Hebsacker's website, and there are two books that might fit the bill. Unfortunately, I haven't read either of them, so I can only share what I read on the website. The books are:

1. Das Go-Spiel. Eine Einführung in das asiatische Brettspiel by Digulla/Ebert/Fecke/Timm

[..]

Das Go-Spiel. Eine Einführung in das asiatische Brettspiel (aka “the blue book”) is a good (and fun to read, IIRC) introduction for beginners, quasi-standard in Germany. (Link goes to “Hebsacker Verlag” http://www.hebsacker-verlag.de)

Go für Einsteiger. Spielen - Denken - Lernen by Gunnar Dickfeld (2d EGF) is another good book for newbies. (Link goes to “Brett und Stein Verlag” http://www.brett-und-stein.de)