Was liked: 788
Your discussion is interesting but deserves a new thread:
viewtopic.php?p=206600#p206600

Post subject: Re: Go curriculum book series
Post #22 Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:22 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 25
About Graded Go Problems: There is a series "Graded Go Problems for Beginners", which says to go from 30k to 10k, and a series "Graded Go Problems for Dan Players", which obviously is aimed at 1d playes and stronger.

Is there no series for players in between?

Post #23 Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:45 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Babelardus wrote:
About Graded Go Problems: There is a series "Graded Go Problems for Beginners", which says to go from 30k to 10k, and a series "Graded Go Problems for Dan Players", which obviously is aimed at 1d playes and stronger.

Is there no series for players in between?

Don't necessarily go by the what the book says it is for. The ranks given for Graded Go Problems for Beginners do not correspond for example to KGS ranks. Players a good deal stronger than 10k (KGS) can still get a lot out of them.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
The rank ranges given on the covers of Graded Go Problems for Beginners are widely regarded as ridiculous. At 4k, I find volume 4 quite challenging. (I would really like a volume 3.5.) In addition, the first two volumes of Graded Go Problems for Dan Players start at kyu level. So there is no real gap in between.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:28 am 
Lives with ko

OK, thanks :) In that case, I'm going to order those as well, so I can do them after I finish the Jump Level Up problems. Even though they are 'for children', there are some in there that are harder than expected, even in book 1.

Post #26 Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:03 am 
Gosei

Yeah, the GGPB books are great and deserve a place on every kyu player's bookshelf.

I'd say the Jump Level Up books are about the level of volumes 2 and 3 of GGPB. The fact that you already usually know the theme of the problem makes them a bit easier than they otherwise would be.

Post subject: Go curriculum book series
Post #27 Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 5
The Graded Go Problems for Dan Players are excellent. I would estimate the ratings to be about 3 stones weaker than what the problems state - which is consistent with what I have found in playing at the Nihon Kiin (YMMV)

Post #28 Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:55 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
dfan wrote:
The rank ranges given on the covers of Graded Go Problems for Beginners are widely regarded as ridiculous. At 4k, I find volume 4 quite challenging.

This. At (OGS) 6k, I am on my second attempt at vol 3 and it feels exactly right for me.

I recognise myself in the comments upthread that talk about principles being fine but needing to be backed up by reading power, by the way. I feel pretty comfortable principles-wise, but I can't read my way out of a paper bag. So I've belatedly started trying to do tsumego every single day - goproblems.com says I am about 14k :oops:

This post by joellercoaster was liked by: Bonobo

Post #29 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:47 am 
Lives with ko

joellercoaster wrote:
I recognise myself in the comments upthread that talk about principles being fine but needing to be backed up by reading power, by the way. I feel pretty comfortable principles-wise, but I can't read my way out of a paper bag. So I've belatedly started trying to do tsumego every single day - goproblems.com says I am about 14k :oops:

With me, it's just the other way around. I can read out a lot of things just fine (if I take the time and trouble, which I too often don't :roll:), but if there is 'nothing' to do, i.e. not being in the middle of a fight, I often don't know what to do.

Post #30 Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
Babelardus: between us, we're probably a pretty decent Go player :lol:

Post #31 Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:30 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 5
Babelardus wrote:
Hi :)

In Chess, there's a Dutch series called the "Steps Method", which has been translated to many different languages

I ordered the first step - first time in a while I bought a physical book on Amazon, too bad there aren't Kindle versions.

Post #32 Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:26 am 
Lives with ko

joellercoaster wrote:
Babelardus: between us, we're probably a pretty decent Go player :lol:

Heh. It's possible that my reading ability comes from the time I've played Chess. The one thing that often still confuses me is fighting with captures/recaptures and ko.

LifeIn9x9 wrote:
Babelardus wrote:

In Chess, there's a Dutch series called the "Steps Method", which has been translated to many different languages

I ordered the first step - first time in a while I bought a physical book on Amazon, too bad there aren't Kindle versions.

I've bought the Jump Level Up and some other books in paper as well. As soon as I have to study something, or refer back and forth, I still favor paper books. I read all my novels on the Kindle, though.

Post #33 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:15 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 11
Babelardus wrote:

In Chess, there's a Dutch series called the "Steps Method", which has been translated to many different languages. After following these books, a complete beginner in Chess will end up at playing between 2000 and 2100 ELO after step 6.

Now, i'm just a chess amateur, but i'm pretty sure in order to get 2100 ELO you need (apart from all the studying) to play countless games, analyze games, follow the chess scence etc. When i say studying, i mean know in depth hundreds of openings, endgame positions etc. so unless these books are at least 5000 pages that statement seems like bs.

This post by 1/7,000,000,000 was liked by: dfan

Post #34 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 pm 
Gosei

1/7,000,000,000 wrote:
Now, i'm just a chess amateur, but i'm pretty sure in order to get 2100 ELO you need (apart from all the studying) to play countless games, analyze games, follow the chess scence etc. When i say studying, i mean know in depth hundreds of openings, endgame positions etc. so unless these books are at least 5000 pages that statement seems like bs.

Indeed. The information in those books is necessary but not sufficient. Still, it is nice to have it all laid out and presented nicely. I haven't read the Steps books, but a 9-book series from GM Artur Yusupov that is similar in some ways helped get me from 1800 to 2000 (and I still have 4 books to go!). In general I am a fan of "curriculum books" like these, as long as people don't get to the end and say "OK, now I should be 1 kyu!" or whatever.

Post #35 Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:20 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
As OtakuViking points out, no books will take you from one level to another. They act as a source of knowledge to steer your choices when playing and enhance your evaluation when reviewing. But playing and reviewing are the key activities for conscious learning. Without review, the learning may still happen but rather unconsciously and without playing ... well.

Many books have had an impact on my game, if alone as a matter of inspiration and motivation. But there is one I could and should reread yearly: Attack & Defence.

In our era, new things arise like youtube channels. I found Dwyrin's channel very inspiring and I've changed the way I play since I've been watching it. One thing he says is that the amount of actual reading required to play like a 1d is surprisingly low.