It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tsumego Dictionaries
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Are there any good, large Japanese tsumego and tesuji dictionaries currently in print? I can't seem to find any.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post subject: Re: Tsumego Dictionaries
Post #2 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
cho's tsumego & shuko's tesuji

Post #3 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
"1001 Life-and-Death Problems" has 1001 Life-and-Death problems - biggest English problem book I know.
"Get Strong at Tesuji" has 534 Tesuji problems.
"501 Tesuji Problems" has 501 (advanced) Tesujis.
Cho Chikun's Encyclopedia of Life-and-Death has in total roughly 2500 problems, divided into three books (elementary, intermediate, adavanced).
The Graded Go Problems For Beginners series has in total 1377 problems (incl. life-and-death, middlegame, Ko, capturing races, opening etc.), divided into four books (elementary, beginner, intermediate, advanced).

These are the ones, I know (and own).

Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
The best tesuji "dictionary" is the one by Segoe and Go Seigen (three volumes): http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%89%8B%E7%AD ... pd_sim_b_1

The books by Fujisawa aren't really a dictionary per se. The Segoe- Go books are arranged by tesuji type (e.g. hanekomi, warikomi, etc.) while the Fujisawa books are arranged by how the tesuji is used, i.e. the goal of playing the tesuji. So you have tesuji for attacking, defending, connecting your stones, separating, etc.

THe best book form dictionary for life-and-death is the one by Cho Chikun, but both editions are out of print.

There is an "encyclopedia" of life-and-death by Cho Chikun but it is only available online at tsumego.tasuki.org

Post #5 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
In my opinion, the most comprehensive tesuji dictionary is the "Great Tesuji Encyclopedia 手筋大事典"
ISBN 4-8182-0355-6 but it is out of print and very expensive.

The best tsumego dictionary is probably "Tsumego Dictionary by Segoe Kensaku" which is long out of print and difficult to find.

If you are looking for a life and death dictionary on the basic patterns to learn for sides and corner, etc. then the Cho Chikun ones are probably the best. The Chinese edition of which is still in print. But for a dictionary of interesting tsumego, I'd have to recommend Segoe Kensaku's which has about 1000 tsumego of all sorts.

If you are looking to collect a set of good Japanese tsumego books, the list at my blog is probably one of the most comprehensive list you will find around. But quite a few of the books on the list might not be so easy to find.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:47 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
nagano wrote:
Are there any good, large Japanese tsumego and tesuji dictionaries currently in print? I can't seem to find any.

Nihon Kiin has published life and death (Cho Chikun) as well as tesuji (Fujisawa Shuko) dictionaries.  They're not usually too hard to find.

http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/publishing/booklist17.html

It looks like they no longer list the older ones, so you may have to find them used or wait until they publish new versions.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 67
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 138
The Cho Chikun and the Shuko dictionaries are available in Chinese from Yutopian:
https://www.yutopian.com/yutop/cat?category=PTBDS

Post #8 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Thanks you guys have all been very helpful. Question: is there a difference in the contents of the PDF of Cho Chikun's Life and Death and the print version?

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #9 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
The PDFs are a copy of tsumego from a computer program. The dictionary is different.