All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tsumego book
Post #1 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:14 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Hello!

Can you help me?

I am looking for a tsumego book which has advanced tsumego with solution. I am looking for the kind of tsumego, which has shapes that are happening in actual games, so not the crazy fantasy tsumego kind. I am going to learn the tsumego shape with its solution.

Post subject: Re: Tsumego book
Post #2 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 8
Universal go server handle: FuriousGeorge
I don't know about the crazy fantasty tsumegos, but I recently went looking for tsumego books/resources myself, there's quite a few you can snag for free.

Websites:

goproblems.com - You can create a user and track progress, resets after 2 days, good selection but puzzle quality seems to vary
101weiqi.com - In Chinese, but navigable with Chrome's translate options - huge selection of puzzles (still trying to find my way around in there)
tsumego.tasuki.org - downloadable pdfs of popular collections, but no solutions provided so you really have to work with it to figure out if you've solved it
hitachi.co.jp/Sp/tsumego/index-e.html - Hitachi posts weekly problems and posts the answers the following week.

Downloadables:

I also know there are lots of apps you can download, depending on what kind of phone you have. Other than that, I think Amazon will be your friend for anything more specific.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Here are a few books that might fit the bill:

Books in English:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?XuanxuanQijing Problems and solutions are available in many formats. Perhaps the best edition is John Fairbairn's and you can find it on Amazon, title "Gateway to All Marvels"

Graded Go Problems for Dan Players, volume 4, published by Kiseido, has 300 life-and-death problems from 4D to 7D levels. In the same series, volumes 5 and 6 are problems on joseki shapes and tesuji.

Yilun Yang's "Ingenious Life and Death Puzzles" volumes 1 and 2 (volume 2 is especially difficult problems), published by Yutopian.

Books in Japanese:

"Cho U's Tsumego" published by MYCOM (Japanese), ISBN 4-8399-2124-5, available from Amazon.co.jp. This book includes problems from amateur dan up, including several at professional level. An interesting feature is the help given by showing some starting moves and then making finishing into a new, easier problem.

Go Seigen's Tsumego books:

Juseki Furou, published by Seibundo Shinkosha (Japanese), ISBN 4-416-79510-6
Jikyou Fusoku, published by Seibundo Shinkosha (Japanese), ISBN 4-416-79711-7

This post by gowan was liked by: FuriousGeorge

Post #4 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:06 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Just a reminder that L19 cannot condone methods of obtaining copyrighted works. As such, an earlier post was slightly edited to avoid this.

Thanks to all the contributors of this thread for providing resources for finding go problems!

Post #5 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Look for tsumego books by this trio of Japanese authors

Kada Katsuji 加田克司
Maeda Nobuaki 前田陳爾
Hashimoto Utaro 橋本宇太郎

Many are out of print and difficult to find but tsumego books from these authors are well worth looking into.