All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tsumego level of Xian Ji Wu Ku
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 32
Universal go server handle: tygempanda
Hey!

Anyone know what the ~about~ tsumego level of the collection Xian Ji Wu Ku is ? (http://senseis.xmp.net/?XianJiWukuProblems)

Thanks,
Otenki

Post subject: Re: tsumego level of Xian Ji Wu Ku
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:13 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Several of the problems from this source are matched with problems from Xuanxuan Qijing, which is for low to mid-dan players, so I would say it's around that level.

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 32
Universal go server handle: tygempanda
Alright, in that case I`ll hold off on doing this collection :-)

Thanks!

Post #4 Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I haven't looked at the book (and I'm definitely not strong enough for it yet), but keep in mind that EGF 3k is approximately AGA 1D. Since Solomon is in the U.S., it may be appropriate for your current strength.

Post #5 Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am 
Gosei

jeromie wrote:
I haven't looked at the book (and I'm definitely not strong enough for it yet), but keep in mind that EGF 3k is approximately AGA 1D. Since Solomon is in the U.S., it may be appropriate for your current strength.
Story time: When I went to the 2006 London Go Congress to play in the tournament, the person at the booth asked me for my EGF rank. When I told him my AGA rank (1d) and that it was my first time playing in Europe, he suggested I enter as EGF 3k. But pride got the better of me, and I begged him to just let me enter as 1d, and eventually we compromised that I enter as 1k. In the end, I ended up going 6-2 and was the highest placed kyu player, winning even games against 2d and losing to a 3d and 4d (results here). Since then, I've never taken seriously to anyone suggesting AGA ranks being more than 2 stones weaker than EGF ranks (and I've heard it plenty of times).

Post #6 Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:48 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 153
otenki wrote:
Alright, in that case I`ll hold off on doing this collection :-)
Thanks!

Just check a few problems, may be the first ones.

If you need more than two to three minutes (on average) to find the solutions, the book might still be too difficult for you.

Igo Hatsuyōron #120 (really solved by KataGo)

Post #7 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:55 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Solomon wrote:
jeromie wrote:
Story time: When I went to the 2006 London Go Congress to play in the tournament, the person at the booth asked me for my EGF rank. When I told him my AGA rank (1d) and that it was my first time playing in Europe, he suggested I enter as EGF 3k. But pride got the better of me, and I begged him to just let me enter as 1d, and eventually we compromised that I enter as 1k. In the end, I ended up going 6-2 and was the highest placed kyu player, winning even games against 2d and losing to a 3d and 4d (results here). Since then, I've never taken seriously to anyone suggesting AGA ranks being more than 2 stones weaker than EGF ranks (and I've heard it plenty of times).

I mean there is no European 5D who is only 5D on tygem so there's some merit to the claim... maybe not 3 stones stronger but about 1.5 - 2 stones.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:07 pm 
Beginner

Solomon wrote:
Several of the problems from this source are matched with problems from Xuanxuan Qijing, which is for low to mid-dan players, so I would say it's around that level.

I mean some of the problems are for low to mid dan, but some are even easier and some are very hard. I wouldn't call it for low to mid dan players.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:20 pm 
Gosei

SlightPresent wrote:
Solomon wrote:

I mean some of the problems are for low to mid dan, but some are even easier and some are very hard. I wouldn't call it for low to mid dan players.

Sure, then I'll rephrase: some for low to mid-dan players, some for high kyu players, some for high dan players, and hell why not some for chess players too.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:22 pm 
Beginner

Solomon wrote:
SlightPresent wrote:
Solomon wrote:

Sure, then I'll rephrase: some for low to mid-dan players, some for high kyu players, some for high dan players, and hell why not some for chess players too.

Far more accurate besides the chess part. :bow: :bow: