It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joseki Dictionary
Post #1 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:33 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
I'm looking for a basic english Joseki dictionary. I've been using Kogo's, but I've heard some pretty bad things about how well maintained it is and/or it's accuracy. I see that Kiseido has the Dictionary of Basic Joseki in 3 parts by Ishida Yoshio.

I didn't know if there were any other books. I'm not looking for a problem book or anything, just something as a reference, to look up things when reviewing games.

Post subject: Re: Joseki Dictionary
Post #2 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:35 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Ellisdee wrote:
I'm looking for a basic english Joseki dictionary. I've been using Kogo's, but I've heard some pretty bad things about how well maintained it is and/or it's accuracy. I see that Kiseido has the Dictionary of Basic Joseki in 3 parts by Ishida Yoshio.

I didn't know if there were any other books. I'm not looking for a problem book or anything, just something as a reference, to look up things when reviewing games.

http://www.brugo.be and http://www.josekipedia.com are both pretty good...

This post by topazg was liked by: mic

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:10 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Ellisdee wrote:

Ishida's Dictionary of Basic Joseki should suffice for your studying needs. It may not always have the newest cutting edge joseki developments, but that really doesn't matter much until you're a pretty strong dan player, IMO. Most online resources are amateur efforts, and thus their advice should always be taken with a grain of salt, even if they are based on professional sources.

Personally, I really like using a database to see what professionals have actually played in similar positions (I use GoGoD mysself, but others such as SmartGo or MasterGo will serve you just as well for this purpose).

Post #4 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
The Ishida three-volume set is certainly worth having, I think. But if you want a smaller book to tote around when you feel like studying joseki, maybe Yutopian's "Essential Joseki" by Naiwei Rui.

Post #5 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Is 38 basic joseki still worth getting? I don't have it and am planning to.

Post #6 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Phelan wrote:

The joseki content is fine (don't bother worrying about it being outdated or anything), but I don't remember finding it particularly useful. eidogo.com and so on are pretty good nowadays for simple joseki, even if their complex lines aren't reliable.

It was somewhere between 5k and 1d that the many inaccuracies of eidogo.com, josekipedia etc. became obvious to me. Books like Ishida are still excellent for their explanations, but mostly I use GoGod to see what pros actually play - and to try to work out why.

To the original question, I think Ishida is excellent. It's much more detailed than Kogos. Using it in conjunction with a games database is a good combination, in my opinion.

Post #7 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
I don't really need such an extensive database right now. But, out of curiosity, is it worth getting GoGoD if you already have, say, SmartGo? I know SmartGo will identify duplicate games, but I'm wondering how much they overlap.

Post #8 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
From the smartgo site:

Quote:
SmartGo also works with other game collections you may have. For example, there are about 10000 games in the GoGoD game collection that are not in SmartGo. SmartGo will detect and discard duplicate games.

Post #9 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Thanks, CarlJung. Easy answer.

Post #10 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:51 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Phelan wrote:

It seems to me to be a good 'My First Joseki' book. It shows some common ones, but spends a good amount of time going into why you would choose one over the others, and why some of the critical moves are chosen. It doesn't try to be as comprehensive as a dictionary, but does try to answer more of the 'why' questions.

I'm working my way through it now, and trying to learn enough to recreate the joseki by 'This move feels right because of this reason'.

This post by Chew Terr was liked by: Phelan

Post #11 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I would recommend the Ishida Joseki dictionary set.

Post #12 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
I would just go with something like the Ishida set. Despite what you may think, there really isn't a good selection of joseki dictionaries that are up-to-date in Asia (well, in Korea at least). The way most joseki books are written there is that the author(s) will cover a handful of variations from a handful of corner approaches and commentate on them in detail, similar to the way "Jungsuk in our Times" or "38 Basic Joseki" is done. As a result these books are usually between 200 - 500 pages.

This is contrast to a "dictionary" that covers a wide spectrum of moves but doesn't go into such detailed commentary and focuses more on exhausting the meaningful variations, which would run much more than 500 pages as a result. If I had to use an analogy, it's like getting Webster's dictionary versus a book that covers only the words that start from A - F, but goes into great depths explaining the meaning and etymology behind the words, such as extensive history and complete with pictures. However, I'd say the Ishida set is kind of in the middle between the two categories of joseki books so you get the best of both worlds, though as everyone already pointed out it's not up-to-date.

So as far as true joseki dictionaries that are up-to-date (you can find such dictionaries that aren't modern, I think you can find some in the tchan thread) go, it's very hard to find in Korea so it's next to impossible here.

Post #13 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Chew Terr wrote:
Phelan wrote:

It seems to me to be a good 'My First Joseki' book. It shows some common ones, but spends a good amount of time going into why you would choose one over the others, and why some of the critical moves are chosen. It doesn't try to be as comprehensive as a dictionary, but does try to answer more of the 'why' questions.

I'm working my way through it now, and trying to learn enough to recreate the joseki by 'This move feels right because of this reason'.

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. :)

Post #14 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
I think 38 is an excellent book. Not even so much about learning the actual joseki, but for learning the moves that are good in local situations. I went through it closely about a year or so ago, and found that I was understanding much more the types of moves you make in response to standard local shapes. While it's got just a limited number of joseki, if you learn the why you'll understand more.

I also think Ishida is very good, because most of us will be playing more "standard" joseki, unless we're high dans, and you can look up the ones that arise frequently. Again, even if it doesn't have everything, just going through the good vs bad moves teaches a lot about shape, sente, etc.

Post #15 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
I've been thinking about getting Jungsuk in Our Time but from what's been said here, I'm wondering if the Ishida collection might be better given its breadth. On the other hand, why not just get both...

Post #16 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
deja wrote:
I've been thinking about getting Jungsuk in Our Time but from what's been said here, I'm wondering if the Ishida collection might be better given its breadth. On the other hand, why not just get both...

For me, that's always been the best way. I haven't yet gotten that book myself; it's on my list.

Post #17 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:59 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Ishida's three volume dictionary was first published 33 years ago, translated from an even earlier Japanese edition. As a result much of the book is out of date. Especially the part on 4-4 point joseki is weak. A lot of developments in 4-4 point joseki occurred after the Ishida books were published. In the other volumes there are variations listed as joseki, i.e. even results locally for both players, but which are no longer considered joseki by professionals. A new edition in Japanese was published in 2009, edited by Takao Shinji. Ishida's disctionary is so old ... we need a newer version. I hope the Takao edition will be translated.

There are two aspects to studying joseki. First is the idea of a sequence of moves locally giving an equal result. Studying these you can learn a lot about positional judgement, shape, and tesuji. The idea is not just to memorize sequences of moves but try to understand why each move was made, what is wrong with alternatives, and how to take advantage of errors. This is a life-long project. The second aspect is learning when to play joseki depending on the whole board position. Probably the best book about this is Yilun Yang's Whole Board Thinking in Joseki These books give you wonderful knowledge of how large scale issues affect somewhat distant corner developments.

Another way to study joseki is to play through lots and lots of pro games, watching what they do in corner sequences.

Post #18 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm 
Lives in gote

gowan wrote:
Ishida's three volume dictionary was first published 33 years ago, translated from an even earlier Japanese edition. As a result much of the book is out of date. Especially the part on 4-4 point joseki is weak. A lot of developments in 4-4 point joseki occurred after the Ishida books were published. In the other volumes there are variations listed as joseki, i.e. even results locally for both players, but which are no longer considered joseki by professionals. A new edition in Japanese was published in 2009, edited by Takao Shinji. Ishida's disctionary is so old ... we need a newer version. I hope the Takao edition will be translated.

There are two aspects to studying joseki. First is the idea of a sequence of moves locally giving an equal result. Studying these you can learn a lot about positional judgement, shape, and tesuji. The idea is not just to memorize sequences of moves but try to understand why each move was made, what is wrong with alternatives, and how to take advantage of errors. This is a life-long project. The second aspect is learning when to play joseki depending on the whole board position. Probably the best book about this is Yilun Yang's Whole Board Thinking in Joseki These books give you wonderful knowledge of how large scale issues affect somewhat distant corner developments.

Another way to study joseki is to play through lots and lots of pro games, watching what they do in corner sequences.

Ok, that changes things a bit. Now I'm leaning against the Ishida collection. Is it worth the $75.00 dollars, if it's so outdated? If money wasn't an option... but it is. It sucks being a weak player.

Post #19 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
deja wrote:
Ok, that changes things a bit. Now I'm leaning against the Ishida collection. Is it worth the $75.00 dollars, if it's so outdated? If money wasn't an option... but it is. It sucks being a weak player.

Well, if it's of any comfort I have the whole series and it didn't make me one bit stronger. It did cost a lot though. I suspect you actually have to read them in order to gain from them. Not just stuffing them away in a box somewhere like I did. Perhaps if I sleep next I could internalize some by osmosis. Worth a try.

Do you realize how much you need to study those books to get your money's worth? Eventually you'll will be awesome at joseki but still being crushed on wbaduk by some Korean that just wreaks havoc on your pretty sequences and kills them all. Futile I tell you!

This post by CarlJung was liked by 2 people: deja, topazg

Post #20 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:09 pm 
Lives in gote

CarlJung wrote:
deja wrote:

Well, if it's of any comfort I have the whole series and it didn't make me one bit stronger. It did cost a lot though. I suspect you actually have to read them in order to gain from them. Not just stuffing them away in a box somewhere like I did. Perhaps if I sleep next I could internalize some by osmosis. Worth a try.

Do you realize how much you need to study those books to get your money's worth? Eventually you'll will be awesome at joseki but still being crushed on wbaduk by some Korean that just wreaks havoc on your pretty sequences and kills them all. Futile I tell you!

Exactly, points for aesthetics, study effort, and financial investment. Merit is so 20th century.