All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sente, gote and endgame plays - planned books
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Quotation reference: viewtopic.php?p=230909#p230909

dfan wrote:
Bill, I would like to continue to encourage you to produce that endgame book you occasionally threaten to write! I get bits and pieces of the theory here and on Sensei's Library (and Robert has been very helpful in this thread by forcing you to clarify things :)) but I would really love to be able to work through it in a logical fashion, from fundamentals on up. I'm sure it would sell dozens of copies :)

As you may have guessed, I have been writing such books for 21 months now. Writing about endgame evaluation, if it shall not be just trivial literature, is 10 times as demanding as writing go books on other topics. The reasons include: a) almost nothing of the theory is part of prior verbal go theory or available through professional teaching; b) for writing other go books I spend up to 5% of the time on research but for books on endgame evaluation I spend 50% on research, which is necessary to fill huge gaps in earlier theory and create a consistent, sufficiently complete, well applicable theory; c) research preceding mine is scattered in thousands of messages throughout the web; d) CGT research is very hard to understand, has limited practical relevance and must be reinterpreted for our application as go players.

There is a good chance that I can complete some books this year. I just cannot predict precisely when because details must be worked out, consistency strengthened and proofs of theorems proofread.

Regardless, I would also like to see Bill to write his own books on endgame evaluation because his knowledge on some aspects is much better than mine. In particular, this year I can hardly write about CGT for its own sake, advanced use of infinitesimals, thermography and its application to hyperactive kos. Already the not mentioned, less sophisticated topics are 20 times as rich as I imagined when I started to write the books.

You need to be patient but the waiting will be worth it!

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, dfan, tim