It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What do you want to see in a Go book?
Post #21 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:44 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
400 Hundred Years of Japanese Go is a good book but I would like to see something which goes into more details about the Edo period. Perhaps a series of books about the same thickness as 400 but each concentrating on the period of a single Meijin. I would be particularly interested in what new developments occurred during each period plus details of the personal and politic issues of the time.

Post #22 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:51 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
DrStraw wrote:
400 Hundred Years of Japanese Go is a good book but I would like to see something which goes into more details about the Edo period. Perhaps a series of books about the same thickness as 400 but each concentrating on the period of a single Meijin. I would be particularly interested in what new developments occurred during each period plus details of the personal and politic issues of the time.

When Invincible first came out it was announced that John Power had plans to do similar books about other classical players. Unfortunately those plans did not come to fruition. If you caould read Japanese you'd find what you want but as far as I know you'd have to look in used book stores.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:16 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 0
Kamakura (about Go Seigen) is new Invicible. But nowadays we have Master Play series or The Way of Creating a Thick and Strong Game from Hane Naoki is very nice book.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:43 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
gowan wrote:
When Invincible first came out it was announced that John Power had plans to do similar books about other classical players. Unfortunately those plans did not come to fruition. If you caould read Japanese you'd find what you want but as far as I know you'd have to look in used book stores.

Invincible is a nice book, one of only three I did not put up for sale. But it is primarily games. I am more interested in the history, politics and development of theory, backed up only with ames to illustrate points.

Post #25 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
I want to see Go Seigen's autobiography in english!! The man rocks

Post #26 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
LokBuddha wrote:

There's a movie about him - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go_Master

Post #27 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
palapiku wrote:
LokBuddha wrote:

There's a movie about him - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go_Master

the movie is good, but the book would be better

Post #28 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
yea, i saw the movie but I prefer the book better, the movie leave me confuse and the event aren't explained very well

Post #29 Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 9
KGS: kaimat
Online playing schedule: KGS most nights after 8pm CST. Sundays available anytime but on in the morning and evening.
DrStraw wrote:

I was looking at the sample pages for 400 Years of Go in Japan and when it showed it game it used x's and Z's and w's and ='s to apparently indicate moves. Is that a common way to show games? How do you know the move order?

Scroll down to the last page: http://www.slateandshell.com/pdfs/items/SSAG001.pdf

Could someone who has this book let me know how many pages it has? Slate and Shell isn't very consistent with including page totals in its descriptions.

Post #30 Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:38 pm 
Oza

kaimat wrote:
I was looking at the sample pages for 400 Years of Go in Japan and when it showed it game it used x's and Z's and w's and ='s to apparently indicate moves. Is that a common way to show games? How do you know the move order?

that's just a bad pdf file. he didn't have a font to render the text based diagram into a graphic when he created the pdf file from the document source. (and he perhaps should have just scanned in an image instead)

its not unlike the game diagrams used here on this forum using X's and O's to represent the stones on the board that get turned into graphics when surrounded by [ go ] tags

$$ ------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . X X X . . .
$$ | . . O O O . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . .

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$
$$ ------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . X X X . . .
$$ | . . O O O . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . .[/go]

Post #31 Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:40 pm 
Oza

kaimat wrote:
Could someone who has this book let me know how many pages it has? Slate and Shell isn't very consistent with including page totals in its descriptions.

270 pages: http://gobooks.nemir.org/books/ssag001.html

Its a very good book.

Post #32 Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
I want to see common trick moves in handi openings against black and the apropos responses!!!!

Post #33 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:06 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: ljl
English translations...

Post #34 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:07 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I'd like to see two books or book series

1) A three to four volumed series of books with commented games of professional players that cover all or almost all aspects of the game of go. Last month we had an interesting discussion about which pro players would come into question:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4837

On about 1000 pages it would be possible to select 120 to 150 matches that cover all the listed players and aspects of the game (so that's six to eight pages per game).

2) A book that concentrates on damezumari (shortage of liberties). Many times I have heard that go players have difficulties in recognizing shortage of liberties in life-and-death problems and tesuji problems as well as on the board (including myself). What I would like to see is a book that has three main chapters:

The first one would cover some theory about different types of damezumari

The second one would cover a tsumego training program that drills you in recognizing the basic damezumari shapes

The third one would cover a training program with tsumego that include damezumari and are a bit more complex to strengthen the reading.

Post #35 Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Some further ideas:

3) A Dictionary of Basic Moves

like this one - which I don't own, but would like to own judging from the review

Not sure whether it contains basic moves like hane (or whether it analysis when to hane and when to extend), attachments that arise after invasions etc., but the book in my imagination should also include such basic moves.

4) A Dictionary of Basic Tesuji

Well, we already have some tesuji dictionaries, but the one I think about would include the path how such situations arise, a bit like Sakata's Tesuji and Anti-suji of Go (which is OOP), or like the Encyclopedia of Maek judging from the review

5) A book that shows the way how to sacrifice stones, e.g. like Iwamoto Kaoru's The Magic of Sacrifice (vol. 17, OOP).

6) A book that shows techniques of inavding, e.g. like Kuwahara Munehisa'a The Techniques of Invading (vol. 42, OOP). We alreaedy have some books on this topic (such as Keshi and Uchikomi, Enclosure Josekis and Get Strong at Invading), however these seem to be rather an unsorted collection of samples instead of a presentation of techniques that show how and where to invade.

7) A book that focuses on creating and eliminating ko threats.

8) A book that focuses on aji: how to detect aji potential, to create/eliminate aji