It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you want to see in a Go book?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 33
I just thought I'd throw this question out there not only for myself but to see what others in the community think. Given the amount of Go books already out there, what do you think is missing? What topics/themes do you want to see covered, or feel aren't covered enough by books already out there? Basically, what do you want to read?

Post subject: Re: What do you want to see in a Go book?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:37 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I want to read Bill Spight's endgame book!

Post #3 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:49 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Hmmm. For one thing, I would like to see more on the topic of planning. For example, when to go for thickness, when to start fights. Kind of more detail on Attack and Defense. The correct timing for probes, invasions, as well as whole-board considerations.

I really like the zoomed-out big game view, and any book that teaches it is more intuitive to me.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:57 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 86
GD Posts: 104
A modern Invincible would be fantastic. Perhaps a book about the rise and reign of Lee Changho? I have a book like this, but it is in Chinese. Sometimes I think about translating it...

I think Invincible is great because it well-organized, contains many games, many game commentaries, and lots of interesting background information. Also, the physical book is well-manufactured. This is a book you could pull off the shelf for either study or perusal.

Another good book could be a large set of "guess the next move" problems. I had a set of cheap Chinese pamphlets that each went through a pro game and had questions about the opening, middle game, and endgame. Intermediate moves were numbered on the next problem's diagram. Each question had four choices, and each answer was given a score (from 0 to 10) with a brief explanation. At the end of each game you could tally up your score and find your rank. It combined go problems with memorizing pro games, which I thought was fun.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
I want to see a chapter about capturing race. Someone gave a lecture on kgs, and it was very useful, but i forgot how to count liberties in various situation.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:22 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 1
KGS: tenuji
That's easy. "My Life and Games" by Yi Ch'ang-ho or Yi Se-tol or Gu Li or Kong Jie or Cho U or...

Any book of commented games on current players with a splash of event info would do though :study: :clap:

I remember I hold a Joseki dictionary and memorize the contents, I could repeat every variations from memory and self-satisfaction for it. After I improved some years later, I know it was a detour, wasted many years. ~ igo@Indonesia

Post #7 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:30 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
kokomi wrote:
I want to see a chapter about capturing race. Someone gave a lecture on kgs, and it was very useful, but i forgot how to count liberties in various situation.

Actually, that's already available. There's a chapter on the subject in "The Second Book of Go." That material was later expanded into a separate book called "Counting Liberties and Winning Capturing Races," available from Slate and Shell. Admittedly, it's rather dry reading, but it's there if you want it. :)

Post #8 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
appleseeds wrote:
kokomi wrote:

Actually, that's already available. There's a chapter on the subject in "The Second Book of Go." That material was later expanded into a separate book called "Counting Liberties and Winning Capturing Races," available from Slate and Shell. Admittedly, it's rather dry reading, but it's there if you want it. :)

I hope there's something similar in Chinese. Buying books in dollar and shipping it to china is too expensive for me :grumpy: Or maybe Slate and Shell has an office in China?

Post #9 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:50 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 1
A modern, fairly complete, joseki reference book/series. The only sizable one in English is 35 years old, and Go has changed dramatically.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:55 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
ilseman wrote:
A modern, fairly complete, joseki reference book/series. The only sizable one in English is 35 years old, and Go has changed dramatically.

I don't think Go has changed "dramatically", but here is an update...

http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 750#p27750

Post #11 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:59 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I want more go problems.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
biography or autobiography of modern players is what interests me most.

Or posibly a serious work dedicated exclusivly to imroving the quality of one's self reviews.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame
I felt there was a lack of good books that cover the basic principles that are so important for many (Single Digit) kyu players. I missed a book that would provide you with a set of useful tools to help find good moves in your game, without focusing too deep on a single specific aspect of the game in too much detail.

Therefore I decided to fill this gap, and I wrote such a book myself. The result is my book called: "The Next Move"

This book covers a wide range of topics and explains them in a practical and balanced way.
The theory is explained using common proverbs and statements as the foundation. The aim of this book is to give you the knowledge to use these proverbs and statements as practical tools for finding good moves in your games.

I wish there was a similar book aimed at people around my level.

Last edited by freegame on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Helel wrote:
This is imho what go is all about. In an abstract non-messy way for sure, but still...

Violence, sure, but sex? Go seems to be a metaphor for sex only inasmuch as sex is a metaphor for violence.

(Personally I subscribe to the more orthodox view that Go is about politics - peaceful sharing and coexistence until a violent conflict becomes necessary.)

Post #15 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:57 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Helel wrote:
No, go is also about intercourse and mutual exchange building an intimate bond between the players.

Doesn't sound like any game of Go I ever played. The rules of Go are such that complete destruction of the opponent is always preferable to mutual exchange; it's just not always possible. So you have to bear with some mutual exchange until the opponent missteps and you can slip a dagger in his back.

And I never experienced any sort of intimate bond with an opponent. Nor have I heard of it happening to others, except in fiction (where it's a stereotype that you can find out everything about your opponent from his moves).

Post #16 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:28 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame
Helel wrote:
Is there a lot of sex and violence in it? If I am to buy it I want sex and violence!

:study: well... there is a chapter about "probes" and you might also like the parts that deal with "pushing from behind" and "invasions" :lol:
I hope to see your order arrive soon :D

btw. why is this topic about sex mall of a sudden? did I post something silly?

This post by freegame was liked by: ez4u

Post #17 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
A detailed look at shin fuseki. What the main ideas were at the time, what's persisted into the present. Some historical/biographical information would be interesting, but I'm thinking more of a theory book.

A look at how the opening has developed since then--have there been new unifying ideas, or have the past 40 years mostly seen minor variations on existing ideas?

I didn't know that was my answer until the third time I'd looked at this thread.

A followup to attack and defense also seems good. As does anything historical.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:03 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 21
I would like to see a book that studies random fuseki where first four opening moves are played in random intersections. Title could be "The Art of Playing Random".

Post #19 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
A detailed look at shin fuseki. What the main ideas were at the time, what's persisted into the present. Some historical/biographical information would be interesting, but I'm thinking more of a theory book.

I've got this in the pipeline. Partly as a way of plugging gaps in the historical background to the ten-game matches I decided to start a series on famous games. The first (Shusai-Kitani), due out any time now, allowed me to do a big biography on Shusai. The second (Shusai-Karigane), already in first draft, allows me to cover the history of the various groups from Hoensha to the Nihon Ki-in. The third, only planned but I hope it might be ready by Christmas, will cover Shusai-Go and so allow me to do the history of Shin Fuseki.

I've also started a book on Go Seigen's josekis as still more background to this extremely rich era.

The ten-game match series is not forgotten. Next up is The Survivors (Go vs Hashimoto and Iwamoto).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 4 people: hyperpape, imabuddha, sixko, tenuji

Post #20 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

I've got this in the pipeline. Partly as a way of plugging gaps in the historical background to the ten-game matches I decided to start a series on famous games. The first (Shusai-Kitani), due out any time now, allowed me to do a big biography on Shusai. The second (Shusai-Karigane), already in first draft, allows me to cover the history of the various groups from Hoensha to the Nihon Ki-in. The third, only planned but I hope it might be ready by Christmas, will cover Shusai-Go and so allow me to do the history of Shin Fuseki.

I've also started a book on Go Seigen's josekis as still more background to this extremely rich era.

The ten-game match series is not forgotten. Next up is The Survivors (Go vs Hashimoto and Iwamoto).

Dang, John, you're a workhorse! I'm glad to hear you have so many books planned. I assume they're selling well enough for S&S to want more. I know I've bought them all; I really enjoy them.