It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Enough Japanese Volume Three
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:00 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 45
Learn to read and understand Japanese go books.

I am delighted to announce that Volume Three of Just Enough Japanese has just been released. It is an ebook available not only as a SmartGo Book http://gobooks.com/books.html for Apple devices, but also as an ePub for reader apps on other platforms such as Android and Windows (see https://gobooks.com/epub.html). I have no plans to offer a paper version.

The series guides you from knowing zero Japanese to extracting key information from game records and fully understanding the text of go problems and their answers.

Volume Three methodically introduces the grammar found in books of go problems, one small step at a time starting from scratch. Examples are taken from go books and are presented with diagrams. This unique approach avoids irrelevant vocabulary and grammar. Written as a standalone book, it does not require you to have read the previous volumes. It is aimed at go players of all abilities who want to get more out of Japanese go books without years of traditional study. You can enjoy go books however little Japanese you know, but the more you learn, the more interesting it becomes.

This post by Richard Hunter was liked by 4 people: apetresc, Bill Spight, dfan, yakcyll

Post subject: Re: Just Enough Japanese Volume Three
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 am 
Dies in gote

I was chuffed to receive congratulations from Satori Reader (https://twitter.com/SatoriReader/status/1136332556905766912).
I continue to use Satori Reader daily. I find the content entertaining in itself, as well as being a memorable way to study and learn vocabulary and grammar. It works well with my ongoing retirement goal of reading and understanding the Japanese go books that I brought back from Japan. Below I copy the reviews in JEJ3 Appendix 2, External Resources.

-----------
Human Japanese (https://www.humanjapanese.com/home) has two language courses---Basic and Intermediate. Both offer lite versions that you can try for free. These give you the first eight chapters, which is useful in itself and gives you a clear idea of the style and content. I liked the style and content. I bought both the Basic and Intermediate paid apps, worked all the way through the apps, and sent comments to the developer, who responded with appreciation and enthusiasm. Highly recommended and greatly superior to the old paper books I used in the past.

Satori Reader (https://www.satorireader.com) is the best language course I have encountered. It is aimed at people who are at a level above Human Japanese Intermediate. The team is currently working to bridge that gap. It offers free samples to guests, so do not hesitate to check it out. It provides original reading material with selectable options for showing or hiding kanji and furigana together with native speaker audio, full annotations and explanations of vocabulary and grammar, discussion-based answers to questions, and flashcard study review, including card export. I started out as a beta tester and have been using it almost daily since January 2016, and expect to continue using it regularly. It is simply outstanding. I cannot praise it enough. Ideal for serious further study after you have finished JEJ3. I consider it well worth the price.

This post by Richard Hunter was liked by: yakcyll

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:39 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
By the way, this book looks outstanding. I have purchased it but haven't started it yet because I'm still working through Volume 2 :)

When the series started, Volume 1 was a bit of a disappointment to me because it felt like mostly a word list I could acquire elsewhere. But Volume 2 already has a ton of great stuff that I am assiduously entering into my spaced repetition system, and I can already see that by the time I get through Volume 3 I will have a hugely better comprehension of Japanese go books. A series like this was exactly what I wanted, and I'm very glad you made it.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 am 
Dies in gote

dfan,
Thank you for the kind words. I am encouraged to hear that my efforts are appreciated.

Typing in vocabulary can be useful training. I know, having done a lot of it. But you can save time by copying and pasting or by downloading vocabulary lists. In case you, or others, are unaware of that, here are a couple of tips.

In GoBooks on iOS long press on text brings up a menu bar and Copy copies the paragraph. Pasting into a dictionary app search box usually generates a list of words, though non-kanji and go terms may yield stupid suggestions.
JEJ2 Appendix 1 has links to vocabulary lists on go books.com. There are text files that you can edit to suit your required format. If you tell us the name of the SRS app you are using, you may find other people who have already done this. Anki is popular, but I use StickStudy and Midori. Feel free to share any lists.

I think you will like JEJ3 too. If you already have it, you could start dipping into it in parallel with JEJ2. Perhaps, after JEJ2 chapter 2-13 or 3-4. JEJ3 also has vocabulary in Appendix 3-1.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Ah, I cut and paste from iBooks because I couldn't seem to seem to do it on a fine enough level in the GoBooks app. I mostly use jlearn to look things up, which is a great resource I learned from your books.

I find that for me I really I have to enter cards by hand rather than from premade lists, otherwise it takes me forever to internalize them. Something about making them myself makes them mine in a way that importing them doesn't.

I think I will indeed start JEJ3 in parallel; I'm at a point where I want to try to understand a little more of the structure of the sentences now that I can spot lots of keywords effectively. It certainly looks extremely comprehensive.