It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Android epub readers for Smartgo books?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:58 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 49
GD Posts: 200
The good news: SmartGo books are now available in epub format for those of us who haven't yet seen the iLight!

The slightly annoying news: there are a ton of different epub readers out there for Android, and so far I haven't found one that's quite right for go books. I'm looking for recommendations.

Mostly I'm using Gitden, one of only two I've found so far that can actually display the go diagrams at all. It seems to do fine with the interactivity. But it's a bit annoying for reading text: sometimes it needs to think for a few seconds before displaying the next page, and there's no "go back" option when you follow a hyperlink.

For text-heavy passages (e.g. the first chunk of Gateway to All Marvels, which is fascinating and doesn't use diagrams), I've been using AIReader. It's a nice interface for text, but won't show me a go board at all (I just get a mess of special characters). I've also tried Moon Reader, EBookDroid, and FBReader with similar results: no diagrams in any of these.

PocketBook will show diagrams and is also OK for navigation, but there's no interactivity: you can't step through the moves in the diagram.

There's a lot of other apps to choose from, but it's hard to tell from descriptions whether or not they're going to work, and I don't want to start downloading them all. Does anyone have a success story here?

This post by xela was liked by: Galation