It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where i can find go books?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:52 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Hello everyone! I often read discussions and reviews of interesting Go books, but there is a problem. I can't find these books anywhere. Neither download nor buy.

Where do you get Go books? They came out in such a limited edition that it was impossible to get them either on ebay, or on foreign sites, or on the Internet.

For example, I tried to find this series and didn't find it: https://senseis.xmp.net/?WeiqiBigEncyclopediaSeries

There are many more CDs that I want to find, but they are nowhere to be found. The same fuseki made easy and etc.

Post subject: Re: Where i can find go books?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
If you are including paper books in English in your quest, you can find a lot of print on-demand books by me if you google my name Fairbairn on Amazon. Some of the recent ones include English versions of Chinese classics. All my books are based on oriental/pro sources.

A few other people here such as Robert Jasiek offer books in a similar way, but usually written from a western perspective. There are also online sellers such as Kiseido and Brett und Stein Verlag who both include translations of oriental books. All in all there's a wide selection.

E-books exist, too. The best source is SmartGo.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:36 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
In which country do you live?

WHen you talk about "foreign" sites, which countries or continents did you look at?

Post #4 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:19 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Many people buy books at tournaments. Larger tournaments usually have a bookstand from the local vendor. Otherwise people look for their most local distributors, someone here might know what your options are with that if you tell where you are at.

As for Chinese books, since you link to a series in Chinese. Some English sources about Chinese books may not reflect what is readily available anywhere. Searching for a Go book published 10-20 years ago in China isn't much different from searching for any other book published in the past. I have bought some Go books on Taobao but I have never seen this series that you linked to, but there are indeed many series that cover wide range of topics in tens of volumes and in various formats. It is just very different than with Go books in English.

One thing that is probably the same is that once the publisher loses interest in keeping their book in the market it will increasingly become difficult to find. You may want to consider if the books or CDs that you are looking for could be unavailable for this reason. You could try to contact the publisher.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Can you list the books you are looking for? Maybe we can help.

Are you in the US? As mentioned, Amazon is surprisingly the best place to find Go books. If only they were the best at packaging and shipping books. Instead, they like to place your book in an oversized bubble envelope. Or worse they toss the book into an oversized box. Bent corners are the norm so be prepared.

Go to Amazon > Books > Humor & Entertainment > Puzzles & Games > search for "Go." Of course, lots of other things will pop up in between.

For digital books, look for "GoBooks" or "SmartGo" books. They have a bunch of old books as well as new books. Highly recommended. I use "reasily" app to read epubs from GoBooks on my Android phone.

If you are looking for some older books, I found a few on jeuxdumonde. Shipping to the US was expensive of course but expected.

If you are interested in Japanese Go, Amazon Japan has a ton of books and Amazon JP actually knows how to package books properly. The shipping costs from Amazon JP are surprisingly cheap and it's super quick sometimes. I've received an order in 2 days to the US West coast. Depends on who they use.

I had difficulty finding Korean books easily shipped online. They all seemed to want to ship to within Korea only. There are courier services to handle forwarding but that gets expensive and I try to avoid it if I can.

If anyone has any pointers to Korean or Chinese online Go book sellers I'd appreciate it.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:25 pm 
Beginner

Thanks for the advice!

I live in Russia, we have very few Russian books on Go. So I'm looking for books in English and Chinese. But I don't need paper versions, I would like to buy an electronic one. There are very few books in SmartGo, and most of them are old.

Yes, I am most interested in Chinese books. They are more difficult to find in electronic form if you do not navigate the Chinese Internet.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:27 pm 
Beginner

In particular, I can't find places where you can buy various old compilations in the form of discs: tesugi made easy and others.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:34 pm 
Judan

Was liked: 786
A reasonably up-to-date list of English books:
https://senseis.xmp.net/?GoBooks

Most books are still printed, although quite a few have (also) been published as files.

Retailers / Authors for go books as files:

- Amazon US / UK / DE / JP: mostly Kindle

- Smart Go Books software

- Robert Jasiek, all my books as PDFs: http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/shop.html

- John Fairbairn: quite a few books as Kindle or Smart Go Books, GoGoD database

- some Asian books as Kindle or CDs

- Yutopian: very few old books as PDFs

- copycats and a few others: various, mostly old books, mostly as Kindle

- various authors: a few original, particularly noteworthy free PDFs, such as Shape Up!

Most active retailers of printed English / German books:

- Amazon US / UK / DE

- Kiseido US / JP and Yutopian

- Schaak en Go Winkel het Paard / Goshop Keima from NL

- Hebsacker Verlag from DE

- Jeux du Monde from FR

- Brett und Stein Verlag from DE: mostly German books

- Robert Jasiek from DE: my books

Different retailers offer different selections of books so check them all. International postages vary extremely (from ca. €2 to €40 for one book) from retailer to retailer so check different retailers. Note customs / tariffs, where applicable. Several former publishers went out of business. There are further, smaller authors / publishers / retailers of English books.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Rakuten also sells go books, new and second hand, but I don't know if they ship to Russia and what are the shipping prices.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:05 am 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 7
Andre1000 wrote:
Hello everyone! I often read discussions and reviews of interesting Go books, but there is a problem. I can't find these books anywhere. Neither download nor buy.

Where do you get Go books? They came out in such a limited edition that it was impossible to get them either on ebay, or on foreign sites, or on the Internet.

For example, I tried to find this series and didn't find it: https://senseis.xmp.net/?WeiqiBigEncyclopediaSeries

There are many more CDs that I want to find, but they are nowhere to be found. The same fuseki made easy and etc.

https://gobooks.com/
https://smartgo.blog/2022/03/24/no-mac-studio/

If you need some other other books, just tell him;)