It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Props to Janice Kim -- so what else is similar?
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
I really, REALLY like Janice Kim's series. I know that they're introductory -- I'm still a relative newbie so her books work for me. Everything about the books works. The style of writing, the typeface/font, the drawings, the paper, the binding. Both physically and mentally, I find these publications much more entertaining than Kiseido's books. I don't mean to rag on Kiseido at all. It's just my personal preference that I like Good Move Press' physical publication more than most. I freely admit to being shallow -- the niceties of Janice Kims' books means that I flip through them the most to refresh my low level Go mentality.

Having said that, what else should I read and acquire? What's similar but will help me continue to grow as a Go player and enthusiast?

Post subject: Re: Props to Janice Kim -- so what else is similar?
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:45 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
If you're just finished Kim's books (which are really the best introductory books I know), I'd suggest trying "Opening Theory Made Easy" to get a feeling how to play in the opening and Graded Go Problems For Beginners I and II, because almost everything in Go comes down to reading out a sequence and these books have a very good way of teaching it.
While progressing, you might want to take a look in this thread.

This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: judicata

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
penfold wrote:
I really, REALLY like Janice Kim's series. I know that they're introductory -- I'm still a relative newbie so her books work for me. Everything about the books works. The style of writing, the typeface/font, the drawings, the paper, the binding. Both physically and mentally, I find these publications much more entertaining than Kiseido's books. I don't mean to rag on Kiseido at all. It's just my personal preference that I like Good Move Press' physical publication more than most. I freely admit to being shallow -- the niceties of Janice Kims' books means that I flip through them the most to refresh my low level Go mentality.

Having said that, what else should I read and acquire? What's similar but will help me continue to grow as a Go player and enthusiast?

Nothing. But try Lessons in The Fundamentals of Go, which is also entertaining, though for different reasons.

Everything else is, indeed, quite dry and not very pretty.

This post by palapiku was liked by: Redbeard

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Now that I think about it, the So You Want to Play Go series is kind of similar in some ways. Very light-hearted and approachable. While it's got less dense information than other books I've got, if you're looking for something you can pick up, read a chapter at random, and smile, it's worth a shot.