It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yi Sedol Famous Games Selection now in Japanese
Post #1 Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
The first volume is now out. Just search for 李世〓名局撰集〈上〉.

Post subject: Re: Yi Sedol Famous Games Selection now in Japanese
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%9D%8E%E4%B8 ... 917&sr=8-1

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
Did it get sold out already?! That was fast.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:24 pm 
Beginner

Looks like it sold out. But here is an excerpt from one of his mini essays. I can only hope the others give a little more insight. (the commentary on his games is great, and really detatiled, however). Apologies in advance for the unpolished translation.

The most difficult part of Go

The Opening, Reading Middle Game fights, the Endgame, situational judgment, etc, if I had I to choose the most difficult of Go’s many areas, for me, it’s the Opening.

That’s because placing stones, with nothing on the board, I find it very difficult to work out a plan.

Because the way to go after that is readily seen, if I can just get through the Opening, the rest seems easy in comparison.

However, during a game, fighting in the Middle Game is the most important part, I think.

Therefore, though all that’s left for someone as weak at the Opening as me is to catch up in the Middle Game by sheer force, compared to someone who can get an advantage in the Opening, it just causes problems.

I recommend one diligently aim to improve the weak parts (the Achilles’ heel) of one’s Opening.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Sound just like what Cho Chikun says about pros:

Quote:
Professionals must fight out every small advantage and strive to play the best moves. And subtle moves played in the opening may sometimes directly influence winning or losing.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
pommjuicy wrote:
Looks like it sold out. But here is an excerpt from one of his mini essays. I can only hope the others give a little more insight. (the commentary on his games is great, and really detatiled, however). Apologies in advance for the unpolished translation.

The most difficult part of Go

The Opening, Reading Middle Game fights, the Endgame, situational judgment, etc, if I had I to choose the most difficult of Go’s many areas, for me, it’s the Opening.

That’s because placing stones, with nothing on the board, I find it very difficult to work out a plan.

Because the way to go after that is readily seen, if I can just get through the Opening, the rest seems easy in comparison.

However, during a game, fighting in the Middle Game is the most important part, I think.

Therefore, though all that’s left for someone as weak at the Opening as me is to catch up in the Middle Game by sheer force, compared to someone who can get an advantage in the Opening, it just causes problems.

I recommend one diligently aim to improve the weak parts (the Achilles’ heel) of one’s Opening.

I hear that many professionals say the opening is the hardest part for them. I guess after they master the game to such an extent, the most uncertain part would be the opening.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:08 pm 
Beginner

I would keep checking back on Amazon as they get new shipments of the book from time to time, it seems.

And until you get a chance to read it, I offer up one more mini-essay entitled "The Way to Raise Go Strength":

Quote:
The Way to Raise Go Strength

Recently, there are a variety of books are being sold that are useful in improving one’s Go strength.

Working systematically through a good book will, of course, improve your playing strength, but, as for me, more than anything else, studying in the middle of real fighting is the most effective, I think.

While it’s important to play a lot and enjoy fighting, not thinking about a thing and then getting surprised after playing--no matter how much Go you play, your abilities will never grow.

While playing Go, more than anything else feeling, and thinking about a variety of things is important.

The fun of Go aside, it is what kind of attitude and thoughts one has while playing that bring about a change in how quickly one improves.

There is, in fact, a tangible difference between the feeling of replaying from game records, and the firsthand experience of real combat.

To that end, personally, I greatly esteem actual fighting, and for the most part it’s through that first hand experience of playing that my Go strength has improved.

Rather than longer time limits, playing speed Go, or with 30 minutes or less is better.

Furthermore, if you can examine the game after playing, that is good, too.

If you can receive advice, or have your moves corrected, by professionals that is is good, too, but, if you can’t, even just reviewing the game with your opponent after playing will considerably improve your game.