It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elementary Go Series: Recommendations
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
Hi everyone. I’ve got several go books in my collection that I’ve wanted to read, but decided to work on some easier texts first, and get some more games played. I’ve been through most of the five-volume series from Janice Kim’s “Learn to Play Go,” and worked through most of the problems from the “Graded Go Problems” (volumes I & II). In addition I’ve read “Opening Theory Made Easy” and a bit of “In the Beginning.” I don’t play online, but I estimate my strength to be about 18-20 kyu.

So far, I feel like I’ve been spending a lot of my study time focused on opening theory and doing some Tsumego, but would like to start reading some of the Elementary Go Series (besides “In the Beginning”). I currently have Tesuji, Life & Death, and Attack & Defense, waiting on the bookshelf. While they look like they do get pretty advanced, I think I could still benefit by reading them at this level, but don’t know which one to start on. Considering that I’d like to begin focusing on the more tactical parts of go, I think that either Life & Death or Tesuji would be the next books I should read.

After focusing on getting more games played, I feel as though I am beginning to understand some patterns and tactical plays of go, but am still weak overall when it comes to close combat. Doing Tsumego from the Graded Go Problems has certainly benefited me, but I would also like to get more into the theoretical aspect of L&D and Tesuji.

Any suggestions on where to start from here? Do you think these books are appropriate at this level? I also have “Lessons in the Fundamentals,” and while I do want to read it, I’m currently more interested in something less broad, and more specific, such as the Elementary Go Series books. I appreciate the advice.

Post subject: Re: Elementary Go Series: Recommendations
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
I love "Tesuji," and the other two EGS books you've mentioned - and Lessons in the Fundamentals is quite good too. "Lessons" is not vague in the way you seem to expect.

However, given the amount of study you've already done, I'm certain that you would make faster tactical progress if you started playing online. For beginners, at least, the potential benefits from playing more frequently, and playing against a larger range of styles, swamp out the potential benefits of a few extra hours of reading.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:22 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 59
Was liked: 20
Universal go server handle: TwitchyGo
Online playing schedule: When I can, not necessarily often. Yet sometimes alot. <shrug>
If you've got your heart set on a book from the Elementary Go Series, I'd say look at Attack and Defense first. I agree with jts that playing online is a good idea though. there is a whole range of styles out there that you will benefit from playing against.
Edit: A book I like is Fundamental Principles of Go. And you can never go wrong with tsumegmo.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:57 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 1103
KGS: buzzsaw
I agree that "Fundamental Principles of Go" would be a good book to read.

I also, however, believe that you will benefit from your reading much more after you have played some go online. Maybe you could say that you can read a certain number of pages after you play one game online, like maybe ten pages per game. That would force you to play. It will give you a frame of reference for your reading.

Terri

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:06 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 3
Heh, I've just started playing again after stopping for 8 years or so, and I'm rereading (or reading) those books. I like "Tesuji", and also 2 books that give strategies in handicap games, which I play a lot since I'm only 12k: The Second Book of Go, and Basic Techniques of Go. I think reading is totally important (and I suck at it), so I'm trying to work through tesuji and life and death books. I have Davies' Life and Death on my todo list, but it's just so dry I could cry.

These books are really hard for me, so one way I force myself through them is to write the name of the book down and a list of numbers for the chapters, and then cross them off one by one. There are parts of these books that consist of many variations that I know I'll never remember that I find very hard to read. From the "Basic Techniques" chapter on 4-stone handicap go, the only thing I remembered was that sometimes it was a good idea to sacrifice a stone to let you play several moves in sente -- but I actually used that in a game soon after! Heh.

Some books I just like are Fujisawa's "Reducing Territorial Frameworks" (although it is another many variations, remember zilch book), Kato's "The Chinese Opening", and Kageyama's "Secret Chronicles of Handicap Go". They're fun. Force yourself to play online; I have such a sense of how bad I am that I really hesitate to play online, but I set my KGS automatch preferences to only "medium ok" so it's nice and slow (25 minutes), and only "ranked ok" to make it worthwhile, and it's cool. I had a nice chinese opening game last week where I went for a big moyo and got it.

Good luck!

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:20 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 790
txcpa describes himself as 18-20 kyu but you suggest him to read Elementary Go Series, Fundamental Principles, Reducing Territorial Frameworks, Chinese Opening and Secret Chronicles of Handicap Go and I might add Joseki 1 Fundamentals?! They are all too advanced.

Maybe you need to study reading, do so by playing 200 games and solving the easiest problems you can find.

Lessons in the Fundamentals is too difficult for you. I suggest you to be patient and await my next book (await its announcement in about one or two months, unless you are already 5k then:) ), which will meet exactly your needs, except that further problem solving and playing cannot hurt and unless reading or too few played games are your only relevant remaining problems. The various other beginner books mentioned can also be useful but, in my opinion, are too concerned about teaching what the game consists of (from opening to capturing races) than exactly addressing the needs of beginners (although Learn to Play Go tries to be a bit different, but since you have already read it, be patient to let the theory sink and apply it or you really must improve your reading). Lessons in the Fundamentals has a more wholistic approach but is too ecliptic for players below 12k, although the first four chapters are worth reading already at your level.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:11 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
RobertJasiek wrote:
txcpa describes himself as 18-20 kyu but you suggest him to read Elementary Go Series, Fundamental Principles, Reducing Territorial Frameworks, Chinese Opening and Secret Chronicles of Handicap Go and I might add Joseki 1 Fundamentals?! They are all too advanced.

I absolutely agree with Robert. The only books I can recommend to a player around 18-20k which the OP doesn't have yet on his bookshelf are
- 15-20k: 1001 Life and Death Problems (the so-called "1 move problems", these are 400 of the 1001 problems, so a good choice for a 20k)
- 12-18k: Get Strong at Tesuji (the one and two star problems are good for an 18k)

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
As far as Elementary Go Serie is concerned, I would recommend Tesuji as your first book. The first chapter is an eye opener (at least it was for me) but note that the book is still quite tough. Read it through but be sure that this will be only the first reading of this book which can be read and reread many times.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:56 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
Thanks for some recommendations, everyone. It seems like there are not nearly as many books aimed at players in the high-teen-level kyu rankings, compared to SDKs and total beginner books. It's funny how the Elementary Go Series Books are actually quite advanced, but I can see someone ranked at 10-12 kyu considered "elementary" when you consider the higher levels of play. I guess that makes me an elementary elementary player :razz: . In addition to playing regular games, I will probably reread "Learn to Play Go Vol. IV" and perhaps finish Vol. 5. Of course, I always enjoy solving Tsumego from the "Graded Go Problems" too. I actually have the highly recommended "The Second Book of Go," but when I initially started reading it, I didn't like it. I read through the chapters on the opening, handicap go, and a bit on joseki, but there was something about the book I didn't like (I don't know exactly what). Perhaps I'll give that book another look, and start where I left off, as handicap go wasn't a topic that really interested me.

RobertJasiek wrote:

Maybe you need to study reading, do so by playing 200 games and solving the easiest problems you can find.

Lessons in the Fundamentals is too difficult for you. I suggest you to be patient and await my next book (await its announcement in about one or two months, unless you are already 5k then:) ), which will meet exactly your needs, except that further problem solving and playing cannot hurt and unless reading or too few played games are your only relevant remaining problems. The various other beginner books mentioned can also be useful but, in my opinion, are too concerned about teaching what the game consists of (from opening to capturing races) than exactly addressing the needs of beginners (although Learn to Play Go tries to be a bit different, but since you have already read it, be patient to let the theory sink and apply it or you really must improve your reading). Lessons in the Fundamentals has a more wholistic approach but is too ecliptic for players below 12k, although the first four chapters are worth reading already at your level.

Robert, I'll certainly keep your forthcoming book in mind. It sounds like it might be something written for DDK players, that's my guess at least. Please keep me updated about it. There is also a book by Neil Moffatt that I have been considering picking titled, "Go by Example" for DDK players. I really like the format of his "Double-Digit Kyu Games," which is available on the SmartGo Books app for ios. Has anyone read any of these books?

Post #10 Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 23
KGS: DrBobC
Tygem: 35kyu
No book recommendations but Neil Moffats website is here and quite good for starting out.

http://www.learngo.co.uk/Live/ListGames.php