It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go books for dans (Conceptual and problem sets) ?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
KGS: NoSkill
Hello there, I am around 1D KGS. I often feel this is underrated, like everyone else, but in my case what often happens is that I will be ahead by 20+ points, and make a small misread to let something die, and then lose.

So I think I need maybe a book on "how to win a won game" or a good life and death set.

What I want in a problem book:

1. Grouped by shape or solution. Similar to each other.
2. Easy problems that I can do repeatedly

Problem books I already own:
Lee Chang ho tesuji set

For conceptual ideas I am looking for books about the middle game, haenma, and sabaki. I feel like I understand attack and defense (leaning attacks, group status...), joseki choice, urgent vs big, and other ideas, so im not really looking for those.

What I want in a conceptual book:
1. A big general idea is stated, followed by smaller examples, then a secton where they re-tie it all together
2. Side stories that help you learn are a major bonus, but not needed

What I do no want:
1. A book that is almost 100% diagrams. I really would like to see the idea presented without a diagram, then only using the diagram to back up the idea. If you need a board to show something, we are just learning joseki or other set patterns, not an idea.

Books I already own about conceptual ideas:
Lessons in the fundamentals of go (favorite book)
The direction of play (great book)
Elementary Go series tesuji (great book)
Suji and anti-suji of go (liked... but too many examples and not enough similarities. Basically, shows one small tesuji or idea, then goes on. Not enough connections)

Post subject: Re: Go books for dans (Conceptual and problem sets) ?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:24 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Problem books: The three volume tesuji dictionary written by Go Seigen and Segoe Kensaku (in Japanese) It has chapters for each tesuji type with many problems for each. You might also try the Kiseido graded problems for dan players series.

Conceptual book: Strategic Concepts of Go by Nagahara published by Ishi Press / Kiseido.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:54 pm 
Lives with ko

gowan wrote:
Problem books: The three volume tesuji dictionary written by Go Seigen and Segoe Kensaku (in Japanese) It has chapters for each tesuji type with many problems for each. You might also try the Kiseido graded problems for dan players series.

Conceptual book: Strategic Concepts of Go by Nagahara published by Ishi Press / Kiseido.

Thanks for the recommendations.

The go seigen book sounds interesting.

For strategic concepts I was looking at that book! I also saw strategic fundamentals, and I thought I liked that one too :O.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:36 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 789
NoSkill wrote:
what often happens is that I will be ahead by 20+ points, and make a small misread to let something die, and then lose.

This is psychology. Learn to reduce your unforced blunders. Simply do not make them. Said easily but applying it is hard. You do not need any books for that but you need to control your psychology.

Quote:
What I want in a problem book
1. Grouped by shape or solution. Similar to each other.

Grouped by shape or by tesuji type: such books exist. Grouped by the process of how to create a solution: such books do not exist yet.

Quote:
For conceptual ideas

I have given you related book recommendations in other threads. Besides try Fuseki Dictionary (Takagawa Kaku), which, unfortunately is teaching by examples but nevertheless offers some conceptual ideas implicitly. Otherwise there are hardly any books with conceptual ideas written in English specifically for dan players.

Quote:
I am looking for books about the middle game,

Me too. So much that I need to write them to get them.

Quote:
haenma,

There is none specifically for dan players. (Reading those for kyu players does not hurt, of course.)

Quote:
I feel like I understand [...] urgent vs big

Do you? Explain! I want to see if your feeling is right.

Quote:
and other ideas, so im not really looking for those.

That is an important point why you are still 1 dan. Open your mind!

Quote:
What I want in a conceptual book:
1. A big general idea is stated, followed by smaller examples, then a secton where they re-tie it all together [...]
What I do no want:
1. A book that is almost 100% diagrams. I really would like to see the idea presented without a diagram, then only using the diagram to back up the idea.

I have given you related book recommendations in other threads. Have you already read the books? (Impossible within the few days, so... do read them!)

Quote:
The direction of play (great book)
Elementary Go series tesuji (great book)

You are 1d and still consider these great books? Sorry, but are you celebrating your kyu experience or do you want to improve?

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by 2 people: daal, ez4u

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:45 pm 
Judan

NoSkill wrote:
For strategic concepts I was looking at that book! I also saw strategic fundamentals, and I thought I liked that one too

This book is below your 1d level, otherwise you have had a surprising knowledge gap. Anyway, since you like the book, read the other existing book, which I have already recommended to you, with many more strategic fundamentals and suitable also for dan players.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 am 
Lives with ko

RobertJasiek wrote:

This is psychology. Learn to reduce your unforced blunders. Simply do not make them. Said easily but applying it is hard. You do not need any books for that but you need to control your psychology.
Quote:

Yea I know :(

RobertJasiek wrote:
There is none specifically for dan players. (Reading those for kyu players does not hurt, of course.)

Is any book on haenma useful for a dan?

RobertJasiek wrote:
Do you? Explain! I want to see if your feeling is right.

Urgent are moves that cannot be left alone unless there are very unusual circumstances. Examples: 1. Life and death of a large group 2. Strengthening a weak group 3. Extending your moyo and reducing opponents in the same move.

Generally these will end up being 20+ points if left alone, and it is very hard to find a bigger move, and if you do not play it, the enemy will. That is why it is "urgent". A big move is a move that is worth alot of points, but it is not a game-changing move. Examples: 1. Extending from a shimari 2. Playing in an empty corner 3. Approach a corner stone..

Quote:
and other ideas, so im not really looking for those.

RobertJasiek wrote:
You are 1d and still consider these great books? Sorry, but are you celebrating your kyu experience or do you want to improve?

Well I had always played go as a territory game. Trying to surround points and use joseki. To me, getting to 6D was like this "Do lots of L&D and increase reading." "Learn a bunch of joseki" "Learn some fuseki patterns (sanrensei, chinese)".

But with these kind of books I realized to get stronger it is "Use good shape" "Play urgent moves, fix weak groups, do not try to do too much." "Use the strength or weaknesses of groups, territory doesnt matter"

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:34 am 
Judan

NoSkill wrote:
I had always played go as a territory game.

Learn its other side: thickness / influence.