It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Commentaries
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:13 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 41
What pro commentary collections would you recommend to a beginner level player such as myself? There is, of course, Invincible, but I am afraid that would be jumping into the deep end too quickly. Other options that I have found are Learning from Pro Games and Catching Scent of Victory. Would you recommend one of these over the others, or perhaps a different title? Any help would be appreciated.

Please note that these commentaries would be in addition to the books I already own on strategy and go problems. I find that playing through commented pro games is both enjoyable and helpful in giving me a larger "sense" for the game. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Pro Commentaries
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Defining beginner level will probably help people. Do you mean 10k or 20k or what? :)

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:44 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
If yo want to see pro games for fun why not invincible? You won't drown! If you're hoping to find easier games to improve faster... I don't know if the idea is sound. All professional go is pretty deep.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:57 pm 
Dies with sente

Boidhre wrote:
Defining beginner level will probably help people. Do you mean 10k or 20k or what? :)

I play casually with friends, but not online. So I honestly don't know what my kyu level is. I'm sure it's not great. :)

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
Dies with sente

jts wrote:
If yo want to see pro games for fun why not invincible? You won't drown! If you're hoping to find easier games to improve faster... I don't know if the idea is sound. All professional go is pretty deep.

I had the same thought, which is why I mentioned the book. The others in my list, however, seem geared towards helping the beginner understand certain positions and plays. Also, how much actual commentary is contained in Invincible?

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
There's a lot of commentary on half of the games in invincible, and a lot of it explains the cultural and social context, which makes the games more exciting. There are many collections of commented games that have this Bildungsroman flavor - the 1971 honing tournament is another one I've flipped through. But again, unless you are either being very modest or expect to make heroic efforts, the exact quality and depth of the commentary isn't something that matters quite so much for you right now. Just finding a theme you like and playing through the games will be both fun and educational.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 22
KGS: Tofu
I have a book called "Master Play" by Yuan Zhou that might be what you're looking for. It has commentated games from 7 different historical top pro players. I find it easy to understand. Yuan Zhou also has some other books of this nature I don't own.

Here's the link to the book: http://www.slateandshell.com/SSYY014.html

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
No one so far has mentioned Appreciating Famous Games by Ohira, an Ishi Press (precursor of Kiseido) book. IMO it is one of the very best books of commented master games for kyu (or dan, for that matter) players. Unfortunately it is out of print :sad: It is sometimes available used, though, and it is worth checking ebay and other used book sources.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:20 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
I always recommend Kamakura as a great commentary book. Although it only includes 10 games between Go Seigen and Kitani Minoru, it is packed with variations and explanation of the theory behind the moves by the players themselves and other commentators. The book also spends time discussing the historical impact of the games in the Go world at the time. It's a fascinating book that you will want in your Go library regardless of strength, so there is no reason not to pick it up as a first book of pro commentary.

Post #10 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm 
Dies with sente

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Those books that put the games in historical context seem especially appealing. Lots to investigate.