It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baduktopia level up series (JUMP)
Post #1 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Hi, I'm wondering about the Jump level up series, (re: my christmas wish list)

http://www.goshop-keima.com/btjt-jump-level-p-1796.html

okay, I'm a sucker for book series that have implicit the promise that studying just them you'll get to rank X..

YMI have a different set of rank estimates to the level up series, so I guess these ranks are also up for speculation. I don't have the level up series (e.g. http://www.ymimports.com/p-1417-level-up-6-10-plus-review-2-20-8-kyu.aspx) but I do quite like the life and death series.

So I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience of these books (either series). The TOC of the level up 6-10 looks quite interesting and I wouldn't mind going through them if it wasn't going to be a waste of time.

cheers

This post by CnP was liked by: p2501

Post subject: Re: Baduktopia level up series (JUMP)
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
I prefer the Speed Baduk series. But the Level Up series is more light-hearted so maybe you'll like it more. I think either are fine at your level, and if you stick with them then I think you'll receive the most benefit. I also strongly recommend the Level Up Essential Life & Death series.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:08 pm 
Lives in gote

ok, thanks. Yes I've got all the Essential Life and Death series (next on my list to study actually, though I've already read the first two volumes).

Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:36 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
KGS: NoSkill
CnP wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering about the Jump level up series, (re: my christmas wish list)

http://www.goshop-keima.com/btjt-jump-level-p-1796.html

okay, I'm a sucker for book series that have implicit the promise that studying just them you'll get to rank X..

YMI have a different set of rank estimates to the level up series, so I guess these ranks are also up for speculation. I don't have the level up series (e.g. http://www.ymimports.com/p-1417-level-up-6-10-plus-review-2-20-8-kyu.aspx) but I do quite like the life and death series.

So I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience of these books (either series). The TOC of the level up 6-10 looks quite interesting and I wouldn't mind going through them if it wasn't going to be a waste of time.

cheers

I can tell you the best books that helped me get from 7k to 1k are and or would be:

1. Lessons in the fundamentals of go (entertaining, as wekk as reminding you go isnt about the most spectacular moves, but the normal ones)

2. Improve your intuition volumes 1-3 (very good 70 page small little pamphlets... very informative and common-sense approach... dont worry these are only 7$ from slate and shell. Well worth it.)

3. A fuseki opening book in english, the most modern one. Ive heard of Rin Kaiho having a book or the book junseuk in our time... basically whatever book has the most up-to-date fuseki is useful.

Now here is a BIG BIG BIG note: Don't spend too much time on books, focus on doing as many L&D as possible, when you go to the bathroom, are in a bus, are at school/work, etc. Make time for it, even 5 minutes is huge! So what kind of L&D should you do? Easier ones that take maybe 15-30 seconds are good. There are two ways to approach L&D: 1. Read out all the variations until you are sure of the right order of moves and the correct answer 2. Glance quickly and within 2 seconds come up with the vital point, or 1st move, that will make the group live or die. Check answer immediately don't bother finishing the reading. Number 1 trains your actual reading out of a situation, like you would in a game. Number 2 helps you see the vital point faster, and when you read out the answer like number 1 it makes it faster because you only have one variation to start with.

Note 2: Playing slower games (30 min with 30sec byo x5) against your level, or stronger opponents and reviewing them by yourself AND with a stronger player is more helpful than a book oftentimes. Use the book to get inspiration, new ideas, etc. but your own play and L&D is much more important.

That is my two-cents.

This post by NoSkill was liked by 2 people: CnP, virgo

Post #5 Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:34 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
Cool, I didn't know about http://www.goshop-keima.com/ - just ordered a couple books :D

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
p2501 wrote:
Cool, I didn't know about http://www.goshop-keima.com/ - just ordered a couple books :D

It's the new Go-website of Shaak en Go Winkel (official Kiseido reseller in Europe, if I'm not mistaken).

Post #7 Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Indeed, that's what they say on their site:

Quote:
Goshop-keima.com is de nieuwe Go-webwinkel van Schaak en go winkel Het Paard.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:34 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
The new shop is a huge improvement. I remember the old one as impossible to order from.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:34 am 
Lives in gote

Yes, I always worried about hassling them to pay with PayPal. Though theyre not in the UK, they're my favourite place to buy books here in the UK

Thanks Noskill for the advice, I know the dangers of spending too long with books - Ive got about 150 go books, though I have got better at focusing.

Id also add dont get distracted into making your own tele scope...