It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: EasyGo on iOS - review
Post #21 Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
First, thank you for the review. I bought the app too, and like it so far.

Xyiana wrote:
Think about SmartGo kifu as PC app. As editor it is worse than Drago. As archive/analytic tool is like ant to elephant if you compare to MoyoGo. So why pay for it?
SmartGo is rly good only as mobile app.

I don't really like the way SmartGo handles branches of moves. But I disagree about it archive/analytic value. For exploring pro games and positions, SmartGo is, in my opinion, the best there is. Of course, others may disagree. I also recall some issues about MoyoGo's developer's source for games, among others. Admittedly, the latter point does not deal with functionality.

EDIT: fixed quote

Last edited by judicata on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by judicata was liked by: imabuddha

Post #22 Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Well, you really can't expect that much yet with its early stages of being released and you just have to use it all the more (with feedback option), just so they could improve on it. Everything starts from there and it is up to the user base how they are going to discover bugs and have them deal with it. I have to agree with the iPad options though not being able to make full use of it.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: 18k
DGS: 15k
OGS: 26.8k
Universal go server handle: sporg
I have been enjoying EasyGo so far and may try to do a review of and comparison with Smartgo in the future.

One thing I do like about both is that they keep stats on correct v wrong as you go through the problems.

I would really like to see them both not only keep the basic stats as they do (Smartgo is more complete than Easygo) but also:

Keep records for each pass through a group of problems including:
a) counts of correct and wrong answers
b) How long it took to go through each group of problems (this should accumulate time if more than one session is used)

Right now work arounds include entering the stats in a separate database before resetting the stats or, in the case of Smartgo, creating a new user for each pass through the problems. In the case of EasyGo you have to reset the stats after each group as it currently only keeps aggregate information not per group.

All this is towards a goal of being able to measure improvement in both accuracy and speed.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
A small add on to my wish list:
1)Editing:
There are sometimes corrupted sgf files - especially if I review my games from Tygem. It looks like that: game record is good till first pass. If an opponent decide to play instead of pass we get inverted colours of played moves in game record. My question: Is it possible to implement option to invert colour of played stones in marked range of moves, forme xample only from move#X to #Y"?
2) Theme:
Could you please add an option to change a stones textures?
Thx

Post #25 Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
I've purchased your application as well and did appreciate as others the variation tree, the directories and the fact that all SGF can be reviewed as problems.

My biggest use of the iPad for go is to use it aside of a book to transcript some problems or diagrams so to to review variations which are not in the book. I see a large benefit from being able to go over them again.

My 2 biggest expectations as far as program functionalities would be:
* the program to choose randomly on variations if those depends on the opposing color from the problem (so to be able to test your play against different answers). I have made a few test but it doesn't seem to go into other variations than the main one if those are not induced by the active player.
* Probably my biggest one would be spaced repetition in the same way a problem like Anki does. I'd be glad to get prompted more frequently on the problems I failed and be able to set a program for review without going into sorting problems by failing rate (and remembering where I was). That would be super great to make sure you memorize consistently sets of problems.

Post #26 Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 49
Sorry for the late response. I don't know why no email notification was sent to me when there are new posts on this topic.

To Actorios,
Randomly choose between one of right variations for the opponent will be supported in future version.(High priority)
Spaced repetion is possible too, low priority yet. Due to a long todo list.

To lobotommy,
Could you send me one of the SGF file with this problem?
Changing stone texture will be supported too. You can transfer stone texture image files via itunes file sharing. The image file need to be PNG format with transparent background.

To sporg,
I suggest the following, it's easier to implement and hopefully flexible to use too, please advise
1) keep stats for every folder(system problem folder or custom created folder in My Games)
2) stats for folder can be reset manually.
3).(low priority) old stats can be saved and queried.

Post #27 Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Just purchased EasyGo.

Upon launch it just dies quietly. I turned off the iPhone (completely) and turned it on again to make sure there was no “dirt” in the RAM, launched EasyGo again, same result.

- iPhone 1
- iOS 3.1.3
- over 3 GB of free space

Any ideas what I can do to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance, Tom

Post #28 Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 am 
Dies with sente

Hi Bonobo,

I'm really sorry to hear about that.
I haven't tested it on iphone 1 yet, so there might be some compatibility issue.
If you turn on auto crash log reporting to apple, I could receive the log for further invetigation.
Also you could refer to the article(http://aplus.rs/apple/how-to-find-crash ... ta-and-xp/) to send me the crash log manually.
Besides crash log, you could also install a free iphone app called console, to check anything reported in the console log.

Anyway, I don't have a real iphone 1 and no real device running ios 3.1, it maybe difficult to trouble shooting.
I suggest you ask a refund from apple appstore first.
And to prevent other users having the same problem in the future, I'll update the app description to reflect this and might change the requirement to ios4 in future verions.

Really sorry for that.

And to all already bought EasyGo, if you successfully runs it on ios 3.x, please let me know, thanks.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 pm 
Oza

Hello Xiangz,

xiangz wrote:
If you turn on auto crash log reporting to apple, I could receive the log for further invetigation.

Is turned on.

Quote:
Also you could refer to the article(http://aplus.rs/apple/how-to-find-crash ... ta-and-xp/) to send me the crash log manually.

Thx for the link, crash log is out via mail.

Quote:
Besides crash log, you could also install a free iphone app called console, to check anything reported in the console log.

Well, I checked ALL console apps (I think), and they only work on iOS 4+ :scratch:

Quote:
[..]

I suggest you ask a refund from apple appstore first.

Oh. Thanks for the offer, but I won’t do so b/c EasyGo runs just fine on my iPad 2 w/ iOS 5.01 :)

Quote:
And to prevent other users having the same problem in the future, I'll update the app description to reflect this and might change the requirement to ios4 in future verions.

:tmbup:

Quote:
Really sorry for that.

Oh well, such things happen, I understand. SmartGo Pro runs fine on my olden iPhone, Igowin Life also, so I’ve got enough Tsumego for training ;-)

Greetings, Tom

Post #30 Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:18 pm 
Oza

Just to let you know that I’ve been in contact with Xiang, and together we’ve tried to sort things out re: running it on my old iPhone 1 w/ iOS 3.1.3 … but as it seems, there’s too much code to be changed to make it run on iOS below 4.x, which apparently would also lead to a loss of functionality, so … it won’t happen.

Xiang has promptly changed the info text in the App Store to reflect this fact.

Aside from this, I—and the members of “my” small Go group in the North Germany wilderness—enjoy training Tsumego on the iPad 2, and I strongly appreciate the ability to import other tsumego collections and especially games with comments.

Greetings, Tom

Post #31 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:13 am 
Dies with sente

Just let you konw that the version 1.1 was just released, please check it out at appstore.

Change Log:
V1.1
Enhancements:
• Performance tuning: the time takes to import games, batch delete has been reduced significantly.
• Sort game/problem by black name, white name, game name, date
• Shuffle game/problem(especially useful for problem practice)
• Search game/problem by black name, white name, game name, date
• For problem practice, randomly select one of right variations to test whether you know all the response to the opponent's move instead of always use the first variation
• For problem practice, the "next/restart" button on the board is now semi-transparent
• (iPad Only) Added a full screen game edit view for landscape mode, two finger tap the tree view to activate. Supports two layout schemes, two finger tap the tree view to toggle.
• Add a variation table view to complement the tree view, node name(if any) will also be showed
• Add an option to toggle the showing of next move marker: always show, never show, show only there are variations
• Add a button to back to the most recent branch point
• Add a copy to clipboard button in show SGF window
• In game view settings, removed three sliders to adjust view size, now you can drag the resize handle to adjust the size of board, comment, tree, variation table view.
• During import, if tap cancel button, a confirm window will show, you have the options to continue importing, or keep the current imported file or just delete all the imported files.
• In Version 1.0, when importing big files, the UI is not responsive for a while after tap the import button, this was fixed in Version1.1

Bug fixes:

• If input some special characters that can't be handled by current encoding, after saving the game, the whole content of the game will be empty, which will also lead to crash if scroll to the game next time
• Batch move destination should exclude the sub folders of current folder, otherwise data will be lost.
• If the game name ended with a dot and a white space, then the file name in the exported zip file will not be ended with .sgf
• On iPad, In grid view, when tap the sort button second time, the sort option window will open again
• On iPad, in game edit view, if you tap action button, then Open In, then tap action button again, the open In window won't be dismissed.
• When open a big game, such as kogo's joseki dictionary, the app might crash. The reason is that the current approach to draw tree view will demand a lot of system memory. For version 1.1, the tree view for big game is disabled. The tree view drawing will be optimized in future versions.
• The next move marker will overwrite any markup at the same position

Problems update:
The solutions for the following problems have been corrected
Basics - Oiotoshi - No. 43
Basics - Capturing race -No 40

Misc:
Change iOS requirements to 4.0+

Post #32 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:46 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Just downloaded it!

Post #33 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Universal go server handle: MSGreg
If you also download iZip (free, ad supported) you can import Kogo's Joseki dictionary without connecting to a computer.

Click the big "Download" button on the Kogo site. Then "Open In" iZip. Then once in iZip, extract all, navigate to the sgf file and "Open In" Easy Go.

Works on iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.

It should work in less than 20 seconds. If it fails, you may need to kill all the background tasks (double click button to go list of tasks, the hold an icon until they jiggle, MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN THE TASK SWITCHER, then remove each one). Then iZip "open in easygo" works.

Go Tin - very portable go

Post #34 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:54 am 
Dies with sente

msgreg, thank you for your update.

By the way, EasyGo can handle zip file directly via Open In. Generally no need to use utilities like iZip. For example, you can download(http://www.gokgs.com/archives.jsp) your games played within one month at KGS directly in mobile safari and import to EasyGo easily. Just select the zip link, download all the games played within a month in a single zip file, and transport the zip file to EasyGo via Open In. KGS organizes the games by folders, a folder per day, which is not conveninent if you have only a few games played. You can search the games by your name (including sub folders), then in batch edit, select all, and move to a single folder.
Attachment:
kgs-archive.PNG
kgs-archive.PNG [ 22.85 KiB | Viewed 13627 times ]

The iphone screen is small, currently two finger swipe up to toggle full screen is not easy to use. And zooming is not continuous. For joseky study, a zoom covering about 13 lines would be great. I will address these issues in future versions. Also, I'm thinking about a full screen landscape mode for iphone, that is when you put iphone in landscape mode, it's in full screen automatically.

Please do me a favor to review this new version at appstore, thanks.

Post #35 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am 
Lives with ko

When you click on a zip file in Safari and "Open In" EasyGo, EasyGo says "Zip File... was just copied to itunes share folder under Inbox folder, please import it manually."

That's why I posted the "workaround" using iZip so you can import directly without using a computer. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

Also, after following the iZip "Open In" instructions above, I see the SGF under My Games in EasyGo listed as "(null)-(null)-Kogo'..."

I'm not sure if that name is caused by iZip or EasyGo. It seems to open and display fine. I'm still playing around with it.

Post #36 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 am 
Dies with sente

after seeing "... please import it manually", please just tap the import button in the bottom toolbar(the third button), then tap the blue button at the right of the Inbox folder to go to Inbox folder, then select the zip file, and tap import button at bottom toolbar to start importing. You can also refer the brief help file in the app(tap import in the top navigation bar)

Where did you find the (null)-(null) ? Could you send a screenshot to my email? Mostly likely, it's due to the black name and white name are blank, however the joseki sgf file showned fine on my iphone4, ipad2 with ios 4.3.

Post #37 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:35 am 
Lives with ko

Screenshot sent. Only happens in grid display.

Quote:
please just tap the import button in the bottom toolbar(the third button), then tap the blue button at the right of the Inbox folder to go to Inbox folder, then select the zip file, and tap import button at bottom toolbar to start importing. You can also refer the brief help file in the app(tap import in the top navigation bar)

Ahhh. The import button is only on the list view, not the grid view. That's why I missed it. Seems to work fine. Once I reposition the SGF at the "top" of the folder hierarchy, and thus the folder the import command creates is now empty, how do I delete the empty folder?

Thanks!

Edit: to answer my own question: when viewing "My Games" in list view, you can "Batch Edit" using the button on the bottom right, select the empty folder, then hit the "Delete" button on the bottom middle. Works great.

Last edited by msgreg on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #38 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Crashes on boot in my iTouch 2nd gen, after trying to open Kogo's joseki. Restarting the iPod has not helped. In my iPad it works perfectly well though.

EDIT: not easygo's fault but iTunes fault. It has corrupted all apps.

Post #39 Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:53 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
I've started recording go problems with Easygo and I must say I've been very very satisfied. Once you get used to the interface, it's getting nice and easy to record, edit, sort and review problems.
With the fact that it shows variations for the other color + color/orientation change, it is the perfect tool to "hardwire" go problems solutions.

I did notice though two issues while using it for this purpose:
1/ the comments are not amended when changing stone color: any statement for Black/black should be replaced by White/white and vice versa (Though, I realized that by not adding any hint, it was doing me good)
2/ when a problem is dedicated to White, the software tend to place stones as it was Black starting. It's ok if you start to select White but for example, if you erase the node, the setting gets back to Black even if you have a single white stone icon selected (hope you understand what I mean).

I'm really glad of the last update... Easygo made it to my Top5 Go App !

Post #40 Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:58 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi Actorios,

Sorry for the late response. I had trouble accessing L19 yesterday.

I fully understand two issues you mentioned, and they will be addressed in next version.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next