All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: indirectly playing kgs on iphones/ipads
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: pyv
http://senseis.xmp.net/?IPhone#toc7

lacking kgs is one of the main things making me want to wait to buy an ipad (more likely waiting for a tablet alternative or for a new go server to become more popular and have an ipad client)

Has anyone tried the solution listed on sensei's library? how hard is it to set up and how convenient is it? Is talking to other players easy?

Post subject: Re: indirectly playing kgs on iphones/ipads
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
It's not ideal. There's a slight lag, and you have to move the cursor with your finger, which is translated to a mouse move on the host computer. I didn't play any games, but I had misclicks too easily when simply fiddling with an SGF file.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 am 
Dies in gote

kirkmc wrote:
It's not ideal. There's a slight lag, and you have to move the cursor with your finger, which is translated to a mouse move on the host computer. I didn't play any games, but I had misclicks too easily when simply fiddling with an SGF file.

thank you.

in the end I have to consider that the lack of a perfect tablet solution for web AND go is a great motivation for me to save my money!

somehow I'm not confident that there will be a good option before 2012, if that.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:34 am 
Lives in sente

I don't know, wms has made it clear that he doesn't want to develop a KGS client for anything other than Java. Maybe there will be a new server, but I don't see that as really possible.

BTW, you can play on IGS very well with Tengen Go on the iPad.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
Maybe we could find wms something like this? I found this in a few minutes of searching:

http://ejohn.org/blog/running-java-in-javascript/

Anyone know of a JVM implemented in javascript? Apple doesn't block websites! :twisted:

Tengen go is nice, but I've had very bad luck with it, lost every game I played-- two due to misclicks, two due to correctly clicking a point I hadn't meant to play (I do that in real life, too), and some just due to bad play...

Post #6 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 am 
Dies in gote

kirkmc wrote:
I don't know, wms has made it clear that he doesn't want to develop a KGS client for anything other than Java. Maybe there will be a new server, but I don't see that as really possible.

BTW, you can play on IGS very well with Tengen Go on the iPad.

Making a new go server is definitely possible, however would it be worth the effort? unlikely, KGS is great and I don't see it losing popularity. I would expect a decent mobile go server to emerge from Asia eventually though.

I tried getting on IGS again, however it is hard to move back there from a great interface like kgs. Just the community options make it.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
PYves wrote:
in the end I have to consider that the lack of a perfect tablet solution for web AND go is a great motivation for me to save my money!

You know, there are actually other tablets than the iPad out there, some of them are even running Android ;)
I have not tested any Android tablets personally, so I can't really recommend one. But if you want KGS, Android is the way to go...

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
I don't really understand why you'd use a mobile phone OS on a tablet. I'd rather use a full windows or linux installation. And I'd be surprised if there were no runtime for android apps on these OS.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:09 pm 
Dies in gote

Li Kao wrote:
I don't really understand why you'd use a mobile phone OS on a tablet. I'd rather use a full windows or linux installation. And I'd be surprised if there were no runtime for android apps on these OS.

I would love anything really, just it would have to be sleek, have a great interface, long battery hours, no temperature issues, lightweight and no keyboard.

Only one I know on the market is the ipad, but I'd love one with some linux or windows or android or anything! Please link one on these forums once you find it

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:41 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 20
KGS: tquidca
Anyone know how to get kegs working on a jailbroken iDevice? I can supposedly run java, but there's no javaws in the install I get from Cydia.

BTW I believe the Archos series of tablets run Android, but I may just be believing what I want to believe there.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 pm 
Lives in gote

JavaWS is not required for KGS. You can download the jar file directly. A webstart file is not much more than a textfile pointing to a jar to download plus some metadata. But you lose auto-update if you do that.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:02 am 
Lives in sente

Li Kao wrote:

Because a mobile OS is designed for touching with your fingers. A "full windows or linux installation" is designed for using a mouse, and this is not ideal on a tablet.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
Li Kao wrote:

A normal desktop UI is very hard to use without keyboard, right mouse button, mouse wheel and so on.
Of course, there is MeeGo (not quite there yet, I think it's still a few months until it's officially released). That is a full linux plus a mobile friendly UI, so you can get the best of both worlds ;)

Post #14 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:47 am 
Dies in gote

Li Kao wrote:
JavaWS is not required for KGS. You can download the jar file directly. A webstart file is not much more than a textfile pointing to a jar to download plus some metadata. But you lose auto-update if you do that.

are you saying if I jailbreak my ipad I could play kgs? I wonder how well that would work.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:27 am 
Lives in gote

I know nothing about iPads, I only know that you can download a normal jar file of the kgs client.

Post subject: Kgs on jailbroken ipad
Post #16 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:51 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 20
KGS: tquidca
Well, I just tried it, and unfortunately Cydia's java setup gives me an error about the native library "gconfpeer" not being found. This is a known error in some version of Debian Limux so I should think it'll get fixed eventually. Development is kind of slow on iPad right now, so don't hold your breath. Better to anticipate the arrival of Android tablets!