It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EidoGo and Wordpress 4.1.5
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:15 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 16
It seems that the EidoGo plugin (to display .sgf files) is no longer compatible with Wordpress. For the Seattle Go Center website, http://www.seattlego.org we are now using Wordpress 4.1.5, and the plugin no longer works, although EidoGo worked with earlier versions of Wordpress. Do you have any suggestions for alternative plugins for Wordpress? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: EidoGo and Wordpress 4.1.5
Post #2 Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 7
While it's not EidoGo-based, how about a WGo.js plugin for Wordpress?
http://guzumi.de/wgo-plugin/

You can also use jGoBoard if you're familiar with HTML (This demo would be helpful).
http://jgoboard.com/
https://github.com/jokkebk/jgoboard

Post #3 Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:40 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I noticed that this had happened and so switched to the plugin gogameguru uses.

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Thanks!

We will check out these options.

Post #5 Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:47 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Browsing through the website for Seattle Go Club, I noticed something that made me go "WOW!!!!"

You have to pay now to visit a Go club?

Is that a new practice?
Is that common in other Go clubs?
Or is that something specific to this particular club which requires payment, like they rent the premises for the evening and the money has to come from somewhere?

I never ever had to pay for playing in a club, and I played in countless clubs in 5 different countries!
I thought this was something inherent to asia, where running a Go club could be a minor source of income (or so I understand.)

Post #6 Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:38 am 
Dies in gote

Bantari wrote:
Browsing through the website for Seattle Go Club, I noticed something that made me go "WOW!!!!"

Is that a new practice?
Or is that something specific to this particular club which requires payment, like they rent the premises for the evening and the money has to come from somewhere?

I never ever had to pay for playing in a club, and I played in countless clubs in 5 different countries!
I thought this was something inherent to asia, where running a Go club could be a minor source of income (or so I understand.)

Hi Bantari - we have our own building in Seattle, so yes, we are different from your typical meet-up at a cafe. At the Seattle Go Center, your first 10 visits are free, and your visits continue to be free if you are under 18. After their first 10 visits, adults pay $5 a visit, or $35 for a ten visit card ($25 for students), or they purchase a yearly or lifetime membership, as explained on our membership page. The Nihon Ki-in (in Japan) owns our building, and we have a long term contract to manage it for them. I just paid our property taxes for 6 months: $10,569.13

Cheers,
Brian Allen
Manager, Seattle Go Center

This post by Tanana was liked by: Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Bantari wrote:

Yes, go to Japan some time. The Seattle Go Center is much cheaper than playing in a club in Japan.

This post by oren was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: [off topic] paying for Go club visits
Post #8 Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Bantari wrote:
[..] I never ever had to pay for playing in a club, and I played in countless clubs in 5 different countries! [..]
Well, I’d guess they just expect ( = hope for) common courtesy from their visitors; namely, to know that nothing ever is really free, neither playing material, nor space, nor heating; there always are costs, and—surprise, surprise—somebody will have to come up for them. But of course there will always be people who don’t spend any thought on this.

Anyway, it may be that nobody ever explicitly asks for a contribution, but they sure will gladly accept when being offered some.

This post by Bonobo was liked by: virre

Post #9 Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Tanana wrote:
Bantari wrote:

Is that a new practice?

Hi Bantari - we have our own building in Seattle, so yes, we are different from your typical meet-up at a cafe. At the Seattle Go Center, your first 10 visits are free, and your visits continue to be free if you are under 18. After their first 10 visits, adults pay $5 a visit, or $35 for a ten visit card ($25 for students), or they purchase a yearly or lifetime membership, as explained on our membership page. The Nihon Ki-in (in Japan) owns our building, and we have a long term contract to manage it for them. I just paid our property taxes for 6 months: $10,569.13

Cheers,
Brian Allen
Manager, Seattle Go Center

Cool cool. I did not know that this is how it works, so was just wondering.
Thanks for the answer.

Post #10 Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 25
GD Posts: 442
KGS: alejo
Tanana wrote:
It seems that the EidoGo plugin (to display .sgf files) is no longer compatible with Wordpress. For the Seattle Go Center website, http://www.seattlego.org we are now using Wordpress 4.1.5, and the plugin no longer works, although EidoGo worked with earlier versions of Wordpress. Do you have any suggestions for alternative plugins for Wordpress? Thanks!

Though the plugin doesn't work, you can still load the eidogo applet through html code

Post #11 Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:37 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 19
KGS: virre
DGS: virre
OGS: virre
Bantari wrote:

Is that a new practice?

Here (in Stockholm) the Go club meets inside another game club local, so you have to pay to that or per visit. And then the Go club also needs incomes so it demands memberships for playing in tournaments and that cost.

The actual local is a member club of the Swedish Federation of game clubs - SVEROK (of all types, from Computer games to LARPS to boardgames), well was last year at least. It is Swedens biggest youth organisation and gets a lot of govermental grants. It however is unclear if it still is, as theese days the members needs to be under 25 to get money.

The clubs in the Swedish federation of Go is not SVEROK members (for reason such as beeing older, and not aged etc) however there have been at least one go club organised as a SVEROK thing and there for not associated with the federation and therefor not the European Go Federation either.

Local quirks makes all Go clubs have different knowledge.

Also my knowledge of the orginasational aspects of Swedish Go is vauge, I have much better knowledge on SVEROK.