It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: InTheLid
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:41 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi,
I wrote what I think is a new kind of go program. It works with tsumego of the 'x to play and kill' type (and also x to play and die). The idea is that the user takes the roll of the killer and the computer takes the roll of the defender. The human has to demonstrate that he can capture a nominated string of stones by responding to all the defence strategies the computer tries. The intention is that this should be possible if and only if the capture can be forced.

I'd like to make this version of the program available for free, but not the source code. However, there's a problem. It's a Windows application, and people won't trust me not to be touting some kind of trojan. This is a brand new lifein19x19 account, which doesn't add to my credibility. I've never posted here before, though I used to regularly post on rec.games.go. Probably before you were born.

If anyone is brave or foolhardy enough to try it, you just need the executable, which you can get it here. The controls are pretty easy once you grasp that you can drag stones around, including from the bowls. The buttons down the right hand side are for 'new board', 'toggle player to start', 'Go!', 'undo', 'redo', 'undo to start' and 'redo to end'. The target string has gray spots on its stones.

Alternatively, if someone can suggest a way of distributing this program that requires less trust but does not publish the code, then that would be helpful.

Last edited by astrolabe on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: InTheLid
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 19
The link to filedropper does not work for me. Just goes to the main page, not to your file (Firefox and Safari)

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:17 pm 
Beginner

Quote:
The link to filedropper does not work for me. Just goes to the main page, not to your file (Firefox and Safari)

Thanks for looking, and sorry for the bother. Filedropper seems to have deleted it after less than a week. I've uploaded it here.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:52 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 37
can you make an 64-bit executable as well?

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:50 pm 
Beginner

I could make a 64 version, but the 32 bit version should work on 64 bit machines (it does on mine).