It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how come web apps offer superior quality features?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:52 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I love features that're offered in sites like Josekipedia, Wlathri.net, OGS.
Problem is, there are things I just can't do cuz I dont own em.

For instance, I cant add any database to Waltheri.net.

So I looked for programs I can own that has similar functions to Josekipedia, Waltheri.net and etc.; but all the ones I found so far are step or two behind features these sites offer.

For pattern-searh, I tested Kombilo but the errors were unbearable. I dipped my toes into Smartgo but it seems like I cant add any database to it. And no program offerd neat labeling features like Josekipedia.

Also, for problem-editor, I find OGS Puzzle maker to be pretty good but again,I can't own the program... tried Uligo but I just can't deal with it; there were many problems I encountered.

So how come web apps offer superior quality features? I don't get it. Do websites like Waltheri.net make big money out of donations? I'd pay good money to own such quality app and I'm sure many others would too..

I'm ust confused and a bit frustrated.

Post subject: Re: how come web apps offer superior quality features?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:04 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
You can add databases to smartgo.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:05 pm 
Beginner

oren wrote:
You can add databases to smartgo.

Oh, thank you very much for letting me know oren.

And talking about adding database, is there a program that enables me to mass-download Tygem games?

Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 71
Quote:
So how come web apps offer superior quality features? I don't get it. Do websites like Waltheri.net make big money out of donations? I'd pay good money to own such quality app and I'm sure many others would too..

It's a good question.

As a first guess, consider you are a programmer who wants to make a Go program solve a particular problem, like a pattern searcher. It is the first time someone has made a pattern search tool in a few years, and likely will be the only person to code something as good as this for a few years. You have two choices: Native code (C++, Objective C, or a VM language like Java), or web-based.

I'm willing to bet that a higher proportion of people will choose web-based for a program like this. It's portable, it's likely they know something about web graphics / JavaScript / etc, rather than coding it in Objective C and having to know how to do graphics in this language, and after coding it, having it available on OS X only, for example.

Apart from Smart Go, I'm struggling to think of a non-web-based tool that is "new". Even the refreshed IGS pretends to be a desktop program but uses web-based stuff (as opposed to using RPC and so on).

Post #5 Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:32 am 
Beginner

Hi,

I have written two public go applications, Hactar go (android) and GOWrite (Windows/Linux/mac). Both of them support searching from your own collection and Hactar go also supports tsumegos, including your own collections.

if I add new feature to those applications, there is "nothing new". If someone makes new website with the specific feature, it is new. Trying out new website is also less trouble for user than following additions to existing applications.

And my view to reasons you are asking:

I think only very, very few can earn any kind of (good) money from western go activities. So I do not believe money is reason for selections developers make.

For me reasons to do go programs have been (random order): Learn new things; Make something nice available to many users; Make go program for my own use. So I am looking at question from those viewpoints.

Making good go application or web site is a lot of work. One tries to optimize their work, and web site has quite a bit bigger potential user base then any single application.

Many new techniques are available in web. Writing a go site is quite nice way to try them out. (well, so is trying out new mobile platform.)

In web people are used to making (and using) a site that is dedicated to just single thing, and does it well. This may lower the development work compared to application, which often end up implementing quite a bit "standard stuff", like SGF editing. Web also makes it easy to get something out to users early on in development.

But YMMV, so every developer is likely to have their own view.

- Lauri