It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google's AlphaGo defeats Fan Hui 2p, 19x19, no handi, 5-
Post #81 Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
Announcement of announcement! :cool: There will be a press conference in Seoul Feb 22 5pm about the AlphaGo vs Lee Sedol match. They will announce the match location, time controls, and other details.

Source (Korean): http://www.cyberoro.com/news/news_view. ... =1&cmt_n=0

BTW the dates of the matches were announced earlier: March 9, 10, 12, 13, and 15.

Post #82 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:20 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
More interview from GeekWire.com

“This really is our Deep Blue moment,” Demis Hassabis, Google DeepMind’s president of engineering, said this weekend at the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s annual meeting in Washington.

Hassabis said most Go players are giving Sedol the edge over AlphaGo. “They give us a less than 5 percent chance of winning … but what they don’t realize is how much our system has improved,” he said. “It’s improving while I’m talking with you.”

For Hassabis, the AlphaGo project is about much more than beating one of the world’s best Go players. The principles that are being put to work in the program can be applied to other AI challenges as well, ranging from programming self-driving cars to creating more humanlike virtual assistants and improving the diagnoses for human diseases.

“We think AI is solving a meta-problem for all these problems,” Hassabis said.

Post #83 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
pookpooi wrote:

“This really is our Deep Blue moment,” Demis Hassabis, Google DeepMind’s president of engineering, said this weekend at the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s annual meeting in Washington.

Hassabis said most Go players are giving Sedol the edge over AlphaGo. “They give us a less than 5 percent chance of winning … but what they don’t realize is how much our system has improved,” he said. “It’s improving while I’m talking with you.”

For Hassabis, the AlphaGo project is about much more than beating one of the world’s best Go players. The principles that are being put to work in the program can be applied to other AI challenges as well, ranging from programming self-driving cars to creating more humanlike virtual assistants and improving the diagnoses for human diseases.

“We think AI is solving a meta-problem for all these problems,” Hassabis said.

Skynet.

Post #84 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
In case you missed it, Fan Hui won all his games at the 1st European Professional Go Championship last weekend:
http://senseis.xmp.net/?EuropeanProfess ... ampionship

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo

Post #85 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:54 am 
Lives in sente

even more interview that I found in twitter account that has attend the AAAS meeting

Pro Go players give champ Lee Sedol 97% odds against #AlphaGo (AI). @demishassabis: “Our internal tests are telling us something different”
He also make a headline in the Observer Tech Monthly

In his schedule He'll give a talk at AAAI this Tuesday, and lecture at Oxford University next Friday (no, I'm not his secretary nor stalker)

This post by pookpooi was liked by: Bonobo

Post #86 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:16 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
The paper in Nature only identifies one specific Go thing they code into it, apart from the obvious rules to prevent illegal moves: ladder. This may be to overcome the depth of 20 moves they use in their other analysis.

pookpooi wrote:

The one thing they always say is that they can work out that it's improving against itself, and perhaps other bots they're using for calibration purposes.

However, they can't be sure whether it's improving against humans, which is one reason they had the match with Fan Hui.

Post #87 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:35 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 55
mumps wrote:
The paper in Nature only identifies one specific Go thing they code into it, apart from the obvious rules to prevent illegal moves: ladder. This may be to overcome the depth of 20 moves they use in their other analysis.

I don't remember anything about a maximum depth limit when I read the paper, and I couldn't find it when I skimmed it just now. Could you point me to that passage? I always assumed that the depth was dynamic, but that could have been my subconscious adding a bias to my initial read.

EDIT: I just skimmed it again and I think this passage in the "Searching with policy and value networks" section makes it clear that there is no depth limit:
Quote:
The tree is traversed by simulation (that is, descending the tree in complete games without backup), starting from the root state.

This is MCTS after all.

Post #88 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:10 am 
Judan

mumps wrote:
The one thing they always say is that they can work out that it's improving against itself, and perhaps other bots they're using for calibration purposes.

However, they can't be sure whether it's improving against humans, which is one reason they had the match with Fan Hui.

I would be surprised if DeepMind didn't test AlphaGo anonymously against Tygem 9ds before the match with Lee Sedol. Of course some pro playing on Tygem is not as serious as a real match, but if they are beating top pros on Tygem (see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... I4YWEHdYBs for accounts) then they could reasonably feel more confident against Lee. It's worth noting that current #1 Ke Jie played thousands of games on Tygem to get stronger.

Post #89 Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:42 am 
Lives in sente

Uberdude wrote:
I would be surprised if DeepMind didn't test AlphaGo anonymously against Tygem 9ds before the match with Lee Sedol. Of course some pro playing on Tygem is not as serious as a real match, but if they are beating top pros on Tygem (see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... I4YWEHdYBs for accounts) then they could reasonably feel more confident against Lee. It's worth noting that current #1 Ke Jie played thousands of games on Tygem to get stronger.

I don't think they would do that because users there want to look for any account that can be AlphaGo right now on Tygem, they even mistook Aja Huang (6D programmer from Deepmind team) account to be AlphaGo because that account win against some pro.
I think they've a contract to some pro to work on Deepmind team internally, so they can do something crazy like adding handicap stones to the pro side.

Post #90 Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:36 am 
Dies with sente

uPWarrior wrote:
mumps wrote:

I don't remember anything about a maximum depth limit when I read the paper, and I couldn't find it when I skimmed it just now. Could you point me to that passage? I always assumed that the depth was dynamic, but that could have been my subconscious adding a bias to my initial read.

EDIT: I just skimmed it again and I think this passage in the "Searching with policy and value networks" section makes it clear that there is no depth limit:
Quote:
The tree is traversed by simulation (that is, descending the tree in complete games without backup), starting from the root state.

This is MCTS after all.

Hmm, I can't find in the paper where I got that impression from. They do talk about searches sometimes being full and sometimes truncated though.
Quote:
By contrast, AlphaGo’s use of value functions is based on truncated Monte Carlo search algorithms, which terminate rollouts before the end of the game and use a value function in place of the terminal reward.

Post #91 Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 am 
Lives in sente

Latest update: For the upcoming match, Demis Hassabis said that the evaluation needs to keep improving by "two notches" (he probably use that as an umbrella term for two stones)
Mathematically agreed, Fan Hui is around 3000 Elo right now, AlphaGo has 80% win rates against Fan Hui which is probably about one stone stronger (3250 ELo), and Lee Sedol is sitting at 3500 Elo. Two stones stronger will make AlphaGo rocketed to 37xx Elo, the highest rank.
I've read the new interview from the Guardian, AlphaGo doesn't even have the Christmas break, poor her.

This post by pookpooi was liked by: Galation

Post subject:
Post #92 Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:26 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
ABC news

Post #93 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:25 am 
Lives in sente

Finally news from the Deepmind side
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/new ... Cnewslist1

And today Demis Hassabis will also give a lecture at Oxford which can be view livestream for free

This post by pookpooi was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Galation

Post #94 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
http://livestream.com/oxuni/StracheyLec ... isHassabis

(just started here, which is 9:00am PST)

This post by Solomon was liked by 2 people: EdLee, Richard Hunter

Post #95 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 am 
Dies with sente

Just a minor point about the match: we don't know what the AlphaGo configuration will be.

The Nature paper shows that they had tested AlphaGo on a larger configuration than the one for the Fan Hui match and this had a 28 point higher ELO rating...

Post #96 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:20 am 
Gosei

While the entire lecture was great, the specific timeslot in the video where he talks about Go and AlphaGo is from 32:00 - 59:00.

Post #97 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:36 am 
Lives in sente

They add Lee Sedol and Facebook's darkforest to the graph but still doesn't fix that sometimes pro are overlaps with 9D, 8D or even 7D

And I also excite about their hint on StarCraft AI project, StarCraft is very big thing in e-sport and is very hot in South Korea so there will be a legendary player, like Lee Sedol of StarCraft, could this be their next target?

Post #98 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:45 am 
Gosei

pookpooi wrote:
a legendary player, like Lee Sedol of StarCraft, could this be their next target?
Calling it, AlphaStar vs. Flash showmatch, Blizzcon 2017.

This post by Solomon was liked by: pookpooi

Post #99 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:50 am 
Lives in sente

Solomon wrote:
pookpooi wrote:
a legendary player, like Lee Sedol of StarCraft, could this be their next target?
Calling it, AlphaStar vs. Flash showmatch, Blizzcon 2017.

I want to name it 'DeepCraft' though, but Deepmind also say that they will tackle a game that has no definitive win/lose like Minecraft, so AlphaStar is more appropriate ;)

Post #100 Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:44 am 
Judan

Did anyone save a copy of the Nature paper? It's no longer available at https://storage.googleapis.com/deepmind ... ing-go.pdf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next