All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice paper reflecting AlphaGo with pro comments
Post #1 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:00 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
Abstract
The Google DeepMind challenge match in March 2016 was a historic achievement for computer Go development. This article discusses the development of computational intelligence (CI) and its relative strength in comparison with human intelligence for the game of Go. We first summarize the milestones achieved for computer Go from 1998 to 2016. Then, the computer Go programs that have participated in previous IEEE CIS competitions as well as methods and techniques used in AlphaGo are briefly introduced. Commentaries from three high-level professional Go players on the five AlphaGo versus Lee Sedol games are also included. We conclude that AlphaGo beating Lee Sedol is a huge achievement in artificial intelligence (AI) based largely on CI methods. In the future, powerful computer Go programs such as AlphaGo are expected to be instrumental in promoting Go education and AI real-world applications.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1606.02032v1

This post by pookpooi was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Nice paper reflecting AlphaGo with pro comments
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:37 am 
Lives in sente

This time European Go Fed gives opinions from top European players, some of my favorites are

"They decided to trick Lee Sedol and show him how weak AlphaGo was." Alexandre Dinerchtein 3p (not surprised since he's from russian and russian already had a bad deepblue experience)

"I'd thought that it was impossible to play crap like this against Lee Sedol and still win." Csaba Mérő 6d from Hungary

Full interviews with many more players at http://eurogofed.org/index.html?id=67

This post by pookpooi was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
pookpooi wrote:
"They decided to trick Lee Sedol and show him how weak AlphaGo was." Alexandre Dinerchtein 3p (not surprised since he's from russian and russian already had a bad deepblue experience)

The idea that DeepMind had a better idea of Lee Sedol's strength than the other way around is fact. It's also clear that, albeit unwise, Lee Sedol gathered some assessment of AlphaGo's strength from the Fan Hui games. In addition to the interviews before the match, this is evidenced by Lee Sedol's aggressive play in Game 1.

To be clear, this was unwise of Lee Sedol, and he should have given them more respect in the months leading up to the match.

If DeepMind really wanted to avoid this argument, they could have released AlphaGo vs. AlphaGo games as the date of the match became closer, for example. Or, they could have released a demo for LSD to play against prior to the match.

Personally, I still feel the match was fair - LSD should have assumed a strong opponent. But the information each side had in this regard was clearly not symmetrical.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of your mocking Dinerchtein's quote due to his nationality.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:37 am 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Oh, and I'm not a fan of your mocking Dinerchtein's quote due to his nationality.

My sentence does stereotyping russian about their view on chess computer but it's not the mocking sentence.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:04 pm 
Honinbo

pookpooi wrote:
Kirby wrote:

My sentence does stereotyping russian about their view on chess computer but it's not the mocking sentence.

Oh, sorry if I was inaccurate; is stereotyping morally better? If you want to be precise, you are also implying that the stereotype extends to Russian views on computer go.

By the way, if you are going to quote Csaba, at least give the quote in context:

Quote:
I was just surprised: AlphaGo played a couple of awful moves - for example moves 106 and 130 in game one, clearly losing 5 to 6 points - and still won relatively easily. I'd thought that it was impossible to play crap like this against LSD and still win.

The "crap" he describes are the point-losing moves he observed. And despite those moves, AlphaGo won.

I think his statement is more of a compliment to AlphaGo than an insult.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:17 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Oh, sorry if I was inaccurate; is stereotyping morally better? If you want to be precise, you are also implying that the stereotype extends to Russian views on computer go.

Stereotype can be both positive and negative, like, 'Japan has a hardworking culture and British has a polite manner', are the positive one, I consider my case to be neutral.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:58 pm 
Honinbo

I don't agree about the neutrality, but you probably get that by now.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I liked the article from the European Go Federation. It was interesting to see more detail about the reaction of strong players to the match.

This post by jeromie was liked by: Kirby