It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tenchou no Igo 7 Zen
Post #61 Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 21
I'll just drop this here. Analyzed (by Deep Zen) most recent game between Iyama and Ke. More info at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13751&p=225118#p225118

Attachments:
Ke vs Iyama L19.sgf [9.14 KiB]
Downloaded 510 times

Post #62 Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
johnsmith wrote:
Thanks! Game between Ke Jie and Iyama is on on Fox. FineArt says W has a lead of 54.4% after the first move

pookpooi wrote:
The 54.4% winrate for white come from black play 3-4 opening so we can't use this number

But now we know how large the grain of salt has to be. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #63 Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:49 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
Here are some more games of Zenith 7, this time against Zenith 6.
It seems that the 7d level is a little bit slower in Zenith 7, but also stronger (at least against Zenith 6 with level 7d).
On my machine Zenith 7 mostly used 3 or 4 seconds per move, in rare cases up to 6 seconds.

Zenith 7 in 9d mode against Zenith 6 in 7d mode—easy game for Zenith 7.
7d is the highest selectable level in Zenith 6.
Zenith 7 used between some seconds up to 20 seconds per move.

Post #64 Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 21
Interesting games, thanks for sharing. In the last game Zen 7 took the lead after 86 moves, just wow.

Post #65 Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
johnsmith wrote:
I'll have to correct myself, seems there will be some new features. Link provided by pookpooi, google translation is:

Seventh Battle - It is equipped with this work, "7th game" which was loaded from previous work and gained popularity. Every time you win, your opponent's skill is raised, images and comments are changed by victory or defeat, so you can enjoy details.
Self-battle score - "Self-battle score" that became a topic with Alpha Go. Let the computer fight against each other, and you can obtain game cards that will serve as a model.
Review mode - In addition to your own game record, you can load the game of Go AI or the game of professional game and read it. It shows the evaluation value of the start and candidate hand of "Zen".

I am really looking forward to seeing all these new features, especially Review mode. I think it's totally worth the money.
As for leela, which is a different topic - download engine only from leela's website, download Sabaki editor for example, and just load that engine to the editor.

I just bought the English version of Zen 7 today, and have not seen any of these new features. Interestingly, the description for the English version does not mention any of these features. It only states:

Quote:
Zenith Go 7 is a full-fledged Go software that is equipped with the pro level, record-breaking computer Go program Zen.
Its playing level is 9 dan. Depending on the user’s computer hardware, with the Specify Time setting, even higher playing levels can be reached.
In addition to a high level of play, the software is packed with features such as best-of-seven matches with the 25th Honinbo Cho Chikun and Mannami Nao 3 dan, and a collection of One-glance Tsumego.

Please enjoy our ever-improving full-scale Go software

Could it be that the review function is only available in the Japanese version? This would be hugely disappointing as I had purchased Zen 7 for the review function.

Post #66 Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:00 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 7
Caesura wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
I'll have to correct myself, seems there will be some new features. Link provided by pookpooi, google translation is:

Seventh Battle - It is equipped with this work, "7th game" which was loaded from previous work and gained popularity. Every time you win, your opponent's skill is raised, images and comments are changed by victory or defeat, so you can enjoy details.
Self-battle score - "Self-battle score" that became a topic with Alpha Go. Let the computer fight against each other, and you can obtain game cards that will serve as a model.
Review mode - In addition to your own game record, you can load the game of Go AI or the game of professional game and read it. It shows the evaluation value of the start and candidate hand of "Zen".

I am really looking forward to seeing all these new features, especially Review mode. I think it's totally worth the money.
As for leela, which is a different topic - download engine only from leela's website, download Sabaki editor for example, and just load that engine to the editor.

I just bought the English version of Zen 7 today, and have not seen any of these new features. Interestingly, the description for the English version does not mention any of these features. It only states:

Quote:
Zenith Go 7 is a full-fledged Go software that is equipped with the pro level, record-breaking computer Go program Zen.
Its playing level is 9 dan. Depending on the user’s computer hardware, with the Specify Time setting, even higher playing levels can be reached.
In addition to a high level of play, the software is packed with features such as best-of-seven matches with the 25th Honinbo Cho Chikun and Mannami Nao 3 dan, and a collection of One-glance Tsumego.

Please enjoy our ever-improving full-scale Go software

Could it be that the review function is only available in the Japanese version? This would be hugely disappointing as I had purchased Zen 7 for the review function.

Just use Leela(it's much better) and also help us to improve Leela Zero

Post #67 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:16 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 669
Was liked: 11
Caesura wrote:

You can open an existing game and click the Analyze button. Then you can see Zen's five best candidate moves in the analysis window. I think thats what they called review function.

Post #68 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:20 am 
Dies in gote

goame wrote:

Leela is great and it's free, but Zen 7 is much stronger. Leela sometimes doesn't understand life and death situations.

Post #69 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:25 am 
Beginner

Waylon wrote:
Caesura wrote:

You can open an existing game and click the Analyze button. Then you can see Zen's five best candidate moves in the analysis window. I think thats what they called review function.

Oh, they are the same thing? I had the impression from the following quote from Gomoto on the first page of this thread that review mode was different (or at least an improved version of) analyse function:

Quote:
Zenith 6 is already very strong and very useful for every amateur go player.
(Much much stronger is relative, but any increase is nice and welcome here)

Review mode is not really new:
You can do this with "Analyze" in Zenith 6 already. It is a very nice feature indeed.
Move through the game (for example with mouse wheel) and watch win value and move ideas by zen

Post #70 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 7
Waylon wrote:
goame wrote:

Leela is great and it's free, but Zen 7 is much stronger. Leela sometimes doesn't understand life and death situations.

Then you hardware configuration is wrong.
Leela is much stronger, that's also the reason why nearly no one is buying Zen 7.
https://sjeng.org/leela.html

Post #71 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:47 pm 
Dies in gote

goame wrote:
Then you hardware configuration is wrong.
Leela is much stronger, that's also the reason why nearly no one is buying Zen 7.
https://sjeng.org/leela.html

Attachment:
Leela 0110 Analysis.JPG
Leela 0110 Analysis.JPG [ 339.24 KiB | Viewed 12449 times ]

This is a position from a game between Leela 0.10.0 (black) and Zen 6. The black dragon on the right side is dead. Zen 6, Zen 7 and Crazy Stone see this almost immediately.

After more than 800,000 playouts, Leela 0.11.0 believes blacks winning chances are at 52%. This has nothing to do with a wrong hardware configuration. :)

Attachments:
Leela0100 vs Zen6.sgf [1.38 KiB]
Downloaded 521 times

Post #72 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
goame, the reason why YOU dont buy Zen 7 is, you do not want to spend the money. And you dont have to.

I for one am quite happy to spend a small amount of money on several nice go engines.

I also spent some money on human go teachers and loved to do so (and will continue to do so from time to time). Go engines are much cheaper than a real teacher.

Go is my main pastime and I would be stupid if I would not invest some of my resources for my passion.

But it is very nice you dont have to if you dont like to. I appreciate Leela and the other free go engines as well.

This post by Gomoto was liked by: Waylon

Post #73 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
Just some unorganized notes for anyone who might be interested in buying Zen 7 and looking for info:

By my understanding and impressions of both, Zen 7 is significantly stronger than Leela 0.11 when using equal hardware, but Zen 7 commercial release doesn't support GPU, unlike Leela. So if you have a laptop like mine without any good graphics card anyways, Zen 7 is definitely stronger, but if you have a decent graphics card, Leela might well be as strong or stronger because Zen will be unable to use that hardware.

On CPU, stylewise Zen 7 so far seems on average a little more stable and self-consistent in its evaluations and very steady. Leela is more dynamic and prone to change its mind as you play down a variation, and continues to have occasional blind spots or misevaluations just like the older 0.10 Leela, although they are somewhat less frequent. I don't have any experience with GPU-accelerated Leela, but I would expect with the large speedup of a strong GPU it would continue to have rare large misevals in situations where the search isn't sufficient to correct it, but I could easily see the deeper search making it much sharper and competitive with Zen 7 in fights that it doesn't miseval.

Zen 7 doesn't appear to have a nice "offline" review interface right now, or at least I haven't found it, but I've found it okay for interactive review of games. The interface is a bit lacking through. By contrast, with Leela 0.11 GTP version there are scripts you can find online that will let you do things like have Leela deep-search your game SGF overnight and annotate it with what it thinks your mistakes were, as well as plug them into GUIs that let you navigate and make reviewing easy.

However, with Leela I always have to take its evals with a grain of salt when they get in certain kinds of capturing races or life and death due to its blind spots. From experience I have a sense now of when it's more likely to do this and in those cases will often interactively go to the position and "test" Leela by playing the moves to resolve a situation or that I think might expose a blind spot, before I can trust the eval. I've used Zen less, but I haven't noticed such major problems with Zen.

Also, one last detail - Leela has an interesting behavior when reviewing handicap games. For example, in no-komi games it thinks *white* has the advantage early on, and in low-handicap games it thinks Black has none or only a small advantage. This is presumably because it was trained on human games where in practice, no-komi games often are won by white since they are underhandicapped, etc. But this makes it hard to use Leela to "objectively" evaluate the position sometimes.

And yet I don't think you can always rely on it to give you a reasonable value of things like "how likely is black to win given that he is 2 stones weaker than white" either. Because from what I can tell from what gcp has said, Leela doesn't actually know that for example black is 2 stones weaker than white. It simply infers this from seeing the board position with black having the extra hoshi stone. But as the board fills up and captures happen, it's no longer clear from the board position alone that it was originally a handicap game, so I think Leela in some unknown and hard-to-predict way will gradually transition to no longer evaluating as if the players are different in strength.

Zen seems to report values closer to objective, at least in 2 and 3 stone games unlike Leela it reports a strong advantage for Black at the start. I haven't tried using Zen on a no-komi game yet.

This post by lightvector was liked by 2 people: johnsmith, Waylon

Post #74 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:26 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
I haven't see any Leela configuration surpass Zen-15.3-10c in http://www.yss-aya.com/cgos/19x19/bayes.html yet. So even without GPU advantage I believe Zenith Go 7 is still stronger than Leela 0.11. Of course you can prove me wrong by running your strongest Leela in CGOS at least 100 games.

Post #75 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:36 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
My laptop doesn't have 10 cores either... :)

Anyways, going by the rough numbers in CGOS for overall strength Zen on CPU and Leela on strong GPU are close enough that any remaining difference is no big deal compared to all the other things I mentioned.

Post #76 Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:58 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Zen 7 is really strong, even though it only uses cpu. Here are two games against Leela 0.11.0 and AQ 2.0.3. Hardware: i5-2500K, GTX 1060

This post by Cyan was liked by 2 people: johnsmith, Waylon

Post #77 Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:21 pm 
Beginner

I let play Zenith Go 7 against Leela 0.11.0 GPU with 120sec per move. 4 games, 3 won by Zen.

The assumption was that the longer thinking makes the advantage of the GPU more obvious, but even than Zen played very well (except for one game where it played odd moves). Leela has blind spots and a weakness in evaluating positions. Zenith 7 plays more consistent and has a very nice style which is more related to Japanese go theory. I think its NN is trained and supervised carefully and has a much higher quality than Leela's NN.

My hardware specification again:
i7-7700@4.2GHz
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G (but not overclocked)

Leela has used more thinking time, Zen often didn't used the 120 seconds. But I only have the average thinking time of Zen.

Zen's average thinking time: 63.4 sec/move

Zen's average thinking time: 64 sec/move

Zen's average thinking time: 62.3 sec/move

Zen's average thinking time: 67 sec/move

This post by Bas was liked by: Waylon

Post #78 Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:53 pm 
Beginner

lightvector wrote:
Just some unorganized notes for anyone who might be interested in buying Zen 7 and looking for info:

By my understanding and impressions of both, Zen 7 is significantly stronger than Leela 0.11 when using equal hardware, but Zen 7 commercial release doesn't support GPU, unlike Leela. So if you have a laptop like mine without any good graphics card anyways, Zen 7 is definitely stronger, but if you have a decent graphics card, Leela might well be as strong or stronger because Zen will be unable to use that hardware.

On CPU, stylewise Zen 7 so far seems on average a little more stable and self-consistent in its evaluations and very steady. Leela is more dynamic and prone to change its mind as you play down a variation, and continues to have occasional blind spots or misevaluations just like the older 0.10 Leela, although they are somewhat less frequent. I don't have any experience with GPU-accelerated Leela, but I would expect with the large speedup of a strong GPU it would continue to have rare large misevals in situations where the search isn't sufficient to correct it, but I could easily see the deeper search making it much sharper and competitive with Zen 7 in fights that it doesn't miseval.

Zen 7 doesn't appear to have a nice "offline" review interface right now, or at least I haven't found it, but I've found it okay for interactive review of games. The interface is a bit lacking through. By contrast, with Leela 0.11 GTP version there are scripts you can find online that will let you do things like have Leela deep-search your game SGF overnight and annotate it with what it thinks your mistakes were, as well as plug them into GUIs that let you navigate and make reviewing easy.

However, with Leela I always have to take its evals with a grain of salt when they get in certain kinds of capturing races or life and death due to its blind spots. From experience I have a sense now of when it's more likely to do this and in those cases will often interactively go to the position and "test" Leela by playing the moves to resolve a situation or that I think might expose a blind spot, before I can trust the eval. I've used Zen less, but I haven't noticed such major problems with Zen.

Also, one last detail - Leela has an interesting behavior when reviewing handicap games. For example, in no-komi games it thinks *white* has the advantage early on, and in low-handicap games it thinks Black has none or only a small advantage. This is presumably because it was trained on human games where in practice, no-komi games often are won by white since they are underhandicapped, etc. But this makes it hard to use Leela to "objectively" evaluate the position sometimes.

And yet I don't think you can always rely on it to give you a reasonable value of things like "how likely is black to win given that he is 2 stones weaker than white" either. Because from what I can tell from what gcp has said, Leela doesn't actually know that for example black is 2 stones weaker than white. It simply infers this from seeing the board position with black having the extra hoshi stone. But as the board fills up and captures happen, it's no longer clear from the board position alone that it was originally a handicap game, so I think Leela in some unknown and hard-to-predict way will gradually transition to no longer evaluating as if the players are different in strength.

Zen seems to report values closer to objective, at least in 2 and 3 stone games unlike Leela it reports a strong advantage for Black at the start. I haven't tried using Zen on a no-komi game yet.

Thanks for this very useful post. Wish I had read it before I bought zen7.

I think what you call "a nice "offline" review interface" was what I had in mind when Zen7 was advertised as having a "review mode". Its a bit disappointing that there is no such option available, when freely available software (eg Leela + GRP) can do so. It is really time consuming to review a game using the analyze function alone. At the very least Zen 7 should be able to highlight the moves that most require scrutiny: there is a similar function when reviewing games played against zen7, where it highlights moves that require review in red.

As things stand, i am not sure whether to review my games with Zen or Leela+GRP (i dont have GPU). Perhaps the choice will in time be an obvious one, once Leelazero powers up :cool:

Post #79 Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
I prefer Zen to Leela for this feature:

With Zen I can add and explore multiple variations and annotate them on the fly.