All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ProGor
Post #1 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:03 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
The GoGod website says that the (unofficial) ProGor ratings are included in the CD. Is that still the case? I ask because I haven't heard a reference to them in a couple of years.

Post subject: Re: ProGor
Post #2 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:01 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
The GoGod website says that the (unofficial) ProGor ratings are included in the CD. Is that still the case? I ask because I haven't heard a reference to them in a couple of years.

They are, but Ales Cieply has not updated them for quite some time. However, he was in touch recently (last fortnight) and said he hopes to find time to return to them. Since I have no idea how much work goes into them, I'm afraid I can't offer any clues as to how quickly he could get back up to date. He uses GoGoD data (with permission, of course; and some other data of his own), but beyond that and providing a home for the results we are not involved.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
The followup question is how good coverage of contemporary games is. Are you still just doing the last preliminaries and the tournament/leagues for most titles? (I swear, one day I'll have some spare cash, then I'll buy GoGod and start answering these questions for myself).

Post #4 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:28 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
We are pretty up to date on contemporary games in all the major countries, but we only appear every six months. Also there may be gaps that we can't fill until yearbooks come out, so if Saturn is not in conjunction with Mars when Venus is in the ascendant, you could, in theory, be behind in some cases by a year and half. But such gaps are pretty rare. As regards the title games, there are normally no gaps as we get the major magazines. (There is the internet, too, but that's not entirely trustworthy, we find.)

Of course we are always working and re-working backwards, as well. T Mark found some updates to old Chinese games on his recent WAGC trip, I've just got a China Weiqi League annual today, and that always has surprises, whilst old Kidos and Kiens and Igo Clubs are continually yielding up their secrets - yet another Go Seigen game last week!

Talking of trustworthy sources, even written ones have to be checked and re-checked. Mark finds dozens of discrepancies with every new source we get. The latest Korean yearbook, for example, manages to put some games in entirely the wrong year, but that's piddly compared to that book's usual litany of missing moves, duplicate moves, missing ko fights and moves that have gone walkabout on the board. T Mark has, shall we say, learned to expect and cherish that work's imperfections. But I was amazed this week to discover myself that there are even conflicting versions of the ultrafamous Shusai-Karigane game of 1926 (it's the next book, which is why I was looking at many different sources). You'd think such a famous game would be immune from printing errors.

PS As we keep reminding people, we do not aspire to divinity. It is GoGoD (Games of Go on Disk), not GoGod. But we thank you for your obeisance, nonetheless :).