It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revisiting Lee Sedol’s match 4 “God move” with Leela Zero
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:11 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Now that we have so many open source and strong public Go “AI”, I thought that I would use the latest 10 block network of Leela Zero to do some analysis of the famed “God move” played by Lee Sedol in match 4 against AlphaGo.

https://gokibitz.com/kifu/S15VAzV9z

Attachment:
game4_lz.sgf [1.66 KiB]
Downloaded 389 times

Attachment:
LZ_game.zip [236.54 KiB]
Downloaded 401 times

This was move 78, where Lee played at the L11 as white, turned the tables and ultimately won the game. So I load the sgf to move 77 into Sabaki, just after AlphaGo played its move at F17 as black, and then apply the attached Leela Zero engine and let it analyze it as white for a good 5 million playouts or so.

Leela Zero never picks the “god” move, even after millions of playouts it never even considers it nor explores it as a possibility or variation. Hence it’s fair to say in a real game against Leela Zero, it would never have played at L11 as white. Either the move was no good, or it was very good but LZ was blind to it.

The next question is then how good really is this move? To explore that I ran two instances of Leela Zero to have it play as black and white. Not too unsurprisingly, its immediate follow up moves after move 78 as black mirrored that of the moves AlphaGo had played in the match, even after a million playouts the moves matched so I was fairly certain the LZ tracked AG for that segment. Then for white I played where Lee Sedol played in the game.

It wasn’t until move 83 that there was a divergence. In the actual match AG played at N8 as black on move 83, whereas giving Leela Zero two million playouts and plenty of thinking time it choose L14 for the same move. Interesting to note is that upon review of LZ’s logs, it appears that it favored L15 for move 83 all the way up to 1.7 million playouts where it then switched to L14 as the best move. Although LZ didn’t choose AG’s N8 move, at least it considered it and thought it had a good winrate, but didn’t go for it. (contrast this to Lee’s move where LZ didn’t even see it after a good 5 million playouts!)

Obviously since we can’t know how Lee would have played out in the game with this change, I substituted instance 1 of LZ as Lee and identical instance 2 of LZ as AG. My thinking is that if the “god move” is really that good, then by this point on this should be a won game for white, all else being equal…

My thinking is since by move 77 Leela Zero already predicted a 80+% winrate for AG (black) and since Leela Zero absolutely failed to see Lee’s “god move” on move 78, and since the subsequent AG moves tracked LZ’s moves until move 83, this was the perfect condition to test whether or not Lee’s move 83 truly was a great unseen move. Because of the fact that at very high playouts the Leela Zero already is a top level pro, and at the beginning prior to the god move it was obvious white was losing badly, then by pitting LZ as Lee Sedol vs LZ as AG and against one another at very high playouts (2 million per move) then if the outcome is in favor of white, this pretty much substantiates the quality of Lee’s move 78.

Note: it’s interesting that the LZ instance as black after move 78 didn’t have the sort of meltdown going crazy and playing silly moves occurrence that happened with AG in the real match. My guess is either the “god’ move really wasn’t that godly, or AG sandbagged and purposefully let Lee win one game out of mercy PR when it saw the chance, prob since Deepmind may have felt that a 5-0 may actually get them negative PR blowback. Maybe a combination of all of the above. But it’s interesting that the god move was not enough to win the game and it did seem that AG played far more poorly after move 78 than compared to even Leela Zero 10-block network played without thousands of GPU’s or TPUs.

Or in the alternative I could be wrong about the entire premise and maybe it is the case that LZ on very high playouts is already stronger than AG Lee version.

Post subject: Re: Revisiting Lee Sedol’s match 4 “God move” with Leela Zer
Post #2 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:31 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
With Leela Zero vs. Leela Zero, Black still won, even after Lee's "God move", right?

And yeah, it would not surprise me if Leela Zero with all those playouts is better than AlphaGo-Lee.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:57 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Bill Spight wrote:
With Leela Zero vs. Leela Zero, Black still won, even after Lee's "God move", right?

And yeah, it would not surprise me if Leela Zero with all those playouts is better than AlphaGo-Lee.

Yes black won, LZ white resigned to LZ black when it got under 10% winrate

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 181
Was liked: 41

According to Kim Myungwan 9p, Lee's move 78 on L11 as White doesn't work if Black replies at L10, but AlphaGo replied at K10 instead. I understand Leela Zero doesn't find L10, either.

Last edited by luigi on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Lee Sedol's god move isn't working in the optimal sense. It could be argued that Lee got a sense for how AlphaGo played (some mention of this from game 3), and felt the move was likely to induce a bad response, given that there were no other good moves.

That being said, games are won and lost on mistakes, so a move that could lead to a win against AlphaGo at that strength might as well be called a "god move". It sure would have been cooler if it were a move that were actually locally optimal, but I guess we humans have to take what we can get.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 181
Was liked: 41
Do I understand correctly that, once L11 is on the board, Leela doesn't find the correct reply at L10, either?

Last edited by luigi on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:18 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Indeed luigi (though the coordinate for the 'correct' atari from below is L10 on a normal board with no 'i'). As I posted on the parallel reddit thread:

OP wrote:
The next question is then how good really is this move? To explore that I ran two instances of Leela Zero to have it play as black and white. Not too unsurprisingly, its immediate follow up moves after move 78 as black mirrored that of the moves AlphaGo had played in the match.

Uberdude wrote:
The famous wedge was not actually a good move if black answers correctly, and AG's 79 was incorrect (should be atari from below, I added variation to your gokibitz). Even some commentators at the time found this resistance; it's not even beyond the ability of a high dan amateur with some thinking time. So in fact I am somewhat surprised and disappointed that LeelaZero makes the same mistake. Other bots, I forget which, have correctly refuted Lee's wedge. Even some old school MCTS pre-NN bot that is decent at reading can probably do so.