Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
https://research.fb.com/facebook-open-s ... lf-opengo/

https://facebook.ai/elf

https://github.com/pytorch/ELF/releases

Based on DeepMind's work but running on their machine learning framework, trained on 2000 GPUs for 2 weeks, beat LeelaZero 200-0, and some top Korean pros 14-0 running on 1 GPU with 50s a move with unlimited time for the humans (no game records yet).

Discussion on LeelaZero github, including from facebook devs about running another test match against LeelaZero with better configuration. A welcome difference in attitude compared to AlphaZero chess vs stockfish.

Hopefully we can see this new facebook bot in some computer go competitions in future (the strong bots on computer go server named after American presidents were test versions of it).

This post by Uberdude was liked by 4 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, gamesorry, sorin

Post subject: Re: Facebook release Zero bot, open source code/weights
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:45 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Waiting for the game records to be released

Post #3 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:10 am 
Judan

For now, here is a game from monroe which topped the CGOS vs Zen (but their best version wins 80% vs monroe):

And one vs "Leela-yao", no idea what that is but I guess some version of Leela Zero and was rated above Zen above.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, sorin, tchan001

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am 
Judan

Someone has managed to convert the Facebook ELF OpenGo weights to a LeelaZero compatible format, so a match against latest LeelaZero is now scheduled using the Leela Zero project's distributed clients, see it progress here, OpenGo's hash is b99ff...

Update: match cancelled as some problems with those converted weights (fb got destroyed).

Post #5 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 6
OGS: sleepyEDB
From the article at https://research.fb.com/facebook-open-s ... lf-opengo/

Quote:
Update May 3, 2018: An earlier version of this post stated a 200:0 record against LeelaZero. However, we discovered a flaw in our setup that resulted in LeelaZero using a tighter time budget than what we had expected. After correcting this issue and giving 50 seconds per move to both sides, we reran the series of games. The 198:2 record stated above is from this latest run. We thank the LeelaZero team for bringing this to our attention.

Even with allowing for equal time on both sides, LZ only won twice. Not to flaunt my naivete, but how is this even possible if LZ was the current reigning champ of AI? And what does this mean for the LZ team? Back to the drawing board? Pack it in and mine Dogecoin? :mrgreen:

sleepy

Post #6 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:02 am 
Judan

sleepyEDB wrote:
Even with allowing for equal time on both sides, LZ only won twice. Not to flaunt my naivete, but how is this even possible if LZ was the current reigning champ of AI?

LZ is not the current reigning champ of AI, but is probably the strongest free and open source one (overtaken AQ now) so was easy for the facebook team to download and play against as a test (without having to arrange with the creators). AlphaGo is still widely seen as the reigning champ and most respected, but as it is retired and doesn't play other bots it won't be clear if/when others surpass it. FineArt would probably be #2 until recently, maybe BensonDarr/PhoenixGo has just overtaken it.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, sleepyEDB

Post #7 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 6
OGS: sleepyEDB
Thanks for the clarification! Pretty awesome how the world of AI Go has exploded recently.

sleepy

Post #8 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:02 pm 
Judan

12 of the 14 pro games are released: https://github.com/pytorch/ELF/releases ... 19-2018-04 (2 withheld, I guess too embarrassing loss!). Names anonymized, but at least 2 each from Kim Jiseok, Choi Cheolhan, Park Yeonghun, Shin Jinseo, maybe we can recognise their styles?

Game 3 (first 2 weaker bot):

Game 4:

Game 5:

Post subject: Re: Facebook release Zero bot, open source co
Post #9 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:07 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Could someone unzip them so everyone can view them here ?

zipped

Post #10 Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:52 pm 
Judan

Someone has uploaded the games vs Leela Zero to OGS at https://online-go.com/library/433376/2431. 980 wins for elf, 18 for LZ.

Move 13 here is a fun wedge. Reminds me of this one from AlphaGo teaching tool.
Attachment:
Screenshot_2018-05-04-06-44-14.png
Screenshot_2018-05-04-06-44-14.png [ 435.96 KiB | Viewed 11960 times ]

An LZ win because Elf misread a ladder: https://online-go.com/game/12727726.

Game 4 vs pro Elf also ran out a ladder once that it was captured in. Maybe you could argue it was a probe to make a ladder breaker more effective, but it's pretty costly and the large swings in black value metric suggest it is confused not a genius move. The pro captured the 2 stones with tortoise shell and elf thought it was behind, but human was soon behind again. Facebook dev confirmed they have ladder troubles but didn't add any special fixes to keep true to Zero approach. So although LZ has ladder problems in some situations it's better than Elf, but Elf is overall much stronger. So we don't need to bother teaching beginners about ladders if instead they can somehow develop superhuman intuition and judgement!

This post by Uberdude was liked by: sorin

Post #11 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:26 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Uberdude wrote:
Facebook dev confirmed they have ladder troubles but didn't add any special fixes to keep true to Zero approach. So although LZ has ladder problems in some situations it's better than Elf, but Elf is overall much stronger. So we don't need to bother teaching beginners about ladders if instead they can somehow develop superhuman intuition and judgement!

Oh, it's good to teach raw beginners about ladders. It quickly gives them a feeling of power. :mrgreen: https://themathlab.com/writings/short%2 ... eeling.htm

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #12 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
How many training games to reach this point?

Post #13 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:19 am 
Judan

ez4u wrote:
How many training games to reach this point?

I saw 20 million mentioned (LZ is at 7 million), but can't find official source.

Btw: I only just realised you can move and zoom the graph on http://zero.sjeng.org/ with click/drag and mouse wheel, makes it much more readable!

Post #14 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
Uberdude wrote:
sleepyEDB wrote:
probably the strongest free and open source one (overtaken AQ now) so was easy for the facebook team to download and play against as a test (without having to arrange with the creators). ....

Excuse me please, but open source SOFTWARE does not imply all DATA used with the program would be open.

A neural net is implemented by a program, but the neural net must then be TRAINED to evaluate the desired function, which process accumulates DATA to be used with the program to perform THIS task well (the same neural net could have been trained to do something else).

Given the data, a clone of the neural net need not be trained from scratch, that data just provided to it. But I see no reason to think that the DATA would necessarily be public domain. Not any more than if I write a book using LibreOffice Write as the word processor and save it to the .odf format it thereby become not copyright.

Since training one of these powerful neural net programs requires significant resources, I see no reason why one of these PROGRAMS couldn't be open source while somebody providing the data form training did so for a price. IMO, no violation.

Post #15 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:08 am 
Judan

Mike Novack wrote:
Excuse me please, but open source SOFTWARE does not imply all DATA used with the program would be open.

Did I say it was? I said "free and open source", the order was not an accident.

Post #16 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:34 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
Uberdude wrote:
Move 13 here is a fun wedge. Reminds me of this one from AlphaGo teaching tool.
Attachment:
Screenshot_2018-05-04-06-44-14.png

They are similar indeed, the AlphaGo wedge is more "contextual" since it has more stones nearby but still very surprising.
Either way - it is one thing that AI shows us more ways to think about the game "strategically" (shoulder-hits on high lines, or early 3x3 invasions, or seeing something weak that used to be thought of as strong before by humans) - but innovating on a micro-level such as these wedges (assuming here that FB Elf's wedge is a good move too) is really shocking to me...

This post by sorin was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #17 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
Uberdude wrote:
12 of the 14 pro games are released: https://github.com/pytorch/ELF/releases ... 19-2018-04 (2 withheld, I guess too embarrassing loss!). Names anonymized, but at least 2 each from Kim Jiseok, Choi Cheolhan, Park Yeonghun, Shin Jinseo, maybe we can recognise their styles?

Err... or maybe we should respect their wish and let them be anonymous :-)

Post #18 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:58 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
sorin wrote:
Uberdude wrote:

Err... or maybe we should respect their wish and let them be anonymous :-)

Old bridge joke:

Bridge player, having butchered a hand: How should I have played that hand?

Partner: Under an assumed name.

;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: sleepyEDB, sorin

Post #19 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
KGS: finity
Looked through half of the pro vs. elf games. Facebook's bot is just frighteningly powerful (to my untrained 1k eyes at least). If you trust the "black value" evaluation (I assume black value goes from -1 to 1 meaning almost certain loss to almost certain win) in the comments, it seems most games are nearly lost after 30-50 moves.

I also had a look at one of the games with Lizzie, and Leela doesn't give as strong edge (the scales are different of course) to FB bot as quickly, taking maybe 10-20 moves extra for pro chances to drop below 35 %, but still it's showing the bot is crushing most games by move 50, with pro odds usually around 25 %.

I'm hoping the Leela Zero project will gain from Facebook's contribution. Not sure if they should "borrow" the network weights, use ELF OpenGo to help in the training, or just look for ways to improve LZ's training indirectly, though.

Post #20 Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:05 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
jokkebk wrote:
Looked through half of the pro vs. elf games. Facebook's bot is just frighteningly powerful (to my untrained 1k eyes at least). If you trust the "black value" evaluation (I assume black value goes from -1 to 1 meaning almost certain loss to almost certain win) in the comments, it seems most games are nearly lost after 30-50 moves.

I also had a look at one of the games with Lizzie, and Leela doesn't give as strong edge (the scales are different of course) to FB bot as quickly, taking maybe 10-20 moves extra for pro chances to drop below 35 %, but still it's showing the bot is crushing most games by move 50, with pro odds usually around 25 %.

I'm hoping the Leela Zero project will gain from Facebook's contribution. Not sure if they should "borrow" the network weights, use ELF OpenGo to help in the training, or just look for ways to improve LZ's training indirectly, though.

My comments on gh:

So… overall ELF is at least >500+ Elo stronger than current best LZ network and possibily up to 800 elo stronker. But it appears to have some latent issues such as being even more prone to ladder fallability and other certain fragilities at less than superhigh playouts, which ironically are things that aren’t as prelevant in the current LZ net arch. By using the approach of hybrid mix 50% LZ/ 50% ELF self-games and continuing to train the LZ net but using ELF as a part-time strength-gainer games-generator (at least until which point LZ catches up to ELF or even surpasses it) may patch the current weak spots in both net archs and set up a framework that is repeatable into the future, such as if AGZ weights get released or facebook teams releases a (new) and even stronger ELF OpenGo network sometime in the future, etc this can be repeated again. And it gives the LZ project the chance to figure out how to resolve two of the biggest issues of superhuman Go AI, that is ladders, large group deaths, and things like high handicap and variable komi and whatnots. Since the current 15b still has enough capacity left, the adding of ELF games will allow LZ to catch up enough to give the devs a way to figure out how to lower gating or remove gating etc. For sure the continuation of “things as usual” for the LZ project is no longer an option, if for no other reason than the strength gap being too great for volunteer clients to still be willing to go the business as usual path, and as gcp stated, its not an option to train the ELF network directly either. (not to mention that switching directly to the ELF network would be in essence killing off the Leela Zero itself) So looks like the roadmap going forward is to train LZ hybridized with ELF, so it seems like there is a way to make good on the fb post about ELF helping project like Leela Zero after all!

1000 games of Facebook OpenGo vs Leela Zero on Nvidia Tesla V100 at 80,000 playouts per move.
(acuatlly its 998 games and Leela Zero had a 18:998 winrate, which means the ELF is ~700 elo stronger)

What is not in debate is this, in terms of open source Go, we have well passed without a shadow of any doubt into “superhuman” territory. ELF is estimated to be 4400 real elo on max hardware while top players are about 3700.